cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black tank rinser

rvrev2
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy all. I'm sitting here at a full hook up site in my new to me HitchHiker. This is my first outing in it. This one has the built in black tank rinser. My old one did not. My question is, how do you guys use your black tank rinser when at a full hook up site? I do have a separate hose I would use exclusively for the rinser, but there is only one spigot here and it is for potable water. What do the rest of you do? No sewer/dump available at home.
2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG
2005 Chevy 2500 HD, crew cab, long bed
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
51 REPLIES 51

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

If timers were infallible no one would ever be late for an appointment, oversleep and be late to work, or burn something in the oven. Stuff happens.

those generally are not caused by timer error. they are caused by hitting the snooze button, etc.
bumpy
Yeah, I think they can all be classified as human error. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

If timers were infallible no one would ever be late for an appointment, oversleep and be late to work, or burn something in the oven. Stuff happens.

those generally are not caused by timer error. they are caused by hitting the snooze button, etc.
bumpy

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
As long as all those great times outweigh that one bad time... 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
If you do something that has a chance to go wrong, and you do it often enough, the chances are good that something will go wrong.
But think about all those great times when it went right!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
The whole point of my post about whatever timer you use was that nothing is foolproof. If you do something that has a chance to go wrong, and you do it often enough, the chances are good that something will go wrong.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
There is a vacuum break on them (required), but I still use a separate hose (same one for washing things off outside).

Don't leave it hooked up, especially to a Y. If a kid comes by and turns it on, you are in for a mess. I was in a park where that happened to someone.

I flush it once a month or so if stationary, it helps keep the gauge sensors clean, and before leaving otherwise.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This setup works GREAT!!!

I leave my grey tank open but about once every month I close it a couple days before I dump the black tank so it has a chance to loosen anything on the bottom of the tank.

So lets say it's a black and grey flush day.

I open black and grey valves at the same time and turn on both valves on the "Y". I Have a clear 45 elbow at the RV's sewer connection then the sewer hose after that. I observe the water turn clear and close both tank valves leaving the water run for 6-8 minutes. SET THE TIMER ON YOUR PHONE !!!!!!!

Open both tank valves let run til clear, close and set timer, open til just the water is running thru clear from the hose. Now close the black valve. Let the water run for about one minute. Close both valves at "Y".

The black tank will easily go one week so I usually do the deed on Sundays.

The dropping the "BOBM" is not a bad idea I may do this also. MeAgain's method.

The only problem I have with that is using a timer. I tried that, run for 5 min, and thought it was great. Then I got one of the inline water meters. 5 min gave abt 15 gal most campgrounds. I like to at least half fill (20+ gal) after the first dump.

8 minutes @ 5 GPM is 40 gallons. But the fact is I only do the grey while doing the black and there will never be that amount of water. My black is 50G and grey is 75G.

Adjust as needed.

Measure it sometime. I'll bet you are getting nowhere close to 5 GPM most likely abt 3 with the restriction in the rinser.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
austinjenna wrote:
Then go buy a cheapo stopwatch..or use your watch..there are multiple ways of timing something. In my opinion you will never get a good flush by just leaving the valve open and using the flusher. I always close it and time it and its amazing the stuff that comes out.

a small cheap kitchen timer is available at walmart for a buck or two. very easy to use, don't need the precision of a stop watch. 😛
bumpy

Whatever device you use keep it on your self! It's easy to get distracted. That's why I choose the timer on my phone with a LOUD setting.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I find after the tank has drained and the black rinse is still running, I fill the toilet to the rim and dump the contents, repeating 2-3 times. This seems to help break up and move the last bit of debris out of the tank.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
There must be some form of stopwatch for your computer. I guess not all microwaves come with timers.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
I have a Y fitting I install on the park faucet with a white hose to my fresh water connection and a green hose to my black tank flush. Each side of the Y has a shutoff valve. I leave the fresh water side valve open. Then I just open/close the flush side valve each time after I drain the black tank.

Same here, i use a Y so I can have both oses hooked up if I'm staying any length of time.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
Then go buy a cheapo stopwatch..or use your watch..there are multiple ways of timing something. In my opinion you will never get a good flush by just leaving the valve open and using the flusher. I always close it and time it and its amazing the stuff that comes out.

a small cheap kitchen timer is available at walmart for a buck or two. very easy to use, don't need the precision of a stop watch. 😛
bumpy

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
avvidclif1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This setup works GREAT!!!

I leave my grey tank open but about once every month I close it a couple days before I dump the black tank so it has a chance to loosen anything on the bottom of the tank.

So lets say it's a black and grey flush day.

I open black and grey valves at the same time and turn on both valves on the "Y". I Have a clear 45 elbow at the RV's sewer connection then the sewer hose after that. I observe the water turn clear and close both tank valves leaving the water run for 6-8 minutes. SET THE TIMER ON YOUR PHONE !!!!!!!

Open both tank valves let run til clear, close and set timer, open til just the water is running thru clear from the hose. Now close the black valve. Let the water run for about one minute. Close both valves at "Y".

The black tank will easily go one week so I usually do the deed on Sundays.

The dropping the "BOBM" is not a bad idea I may do this also. MeAgain's method.

The only problem I have with that is using a timer. I tried that, run for 5 min, and thought it was great. Then I got one of the inline water meters. 5 min gave abt 15 gal most campgrounds. I like to at least half fill (20+ gal) after the first dump.

8 minutes @ 5 GPM is 40 gallons. But the fact is I only do the grey while doing the black and there will never be that amount of water. My black is 50G and grey is 75G.

Adjust as needed.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD