cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boat behind 5th wheel

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Anyone tow a small boat behind their 5th wheel? Do you use a camera's to keep track of it? Interested in people who actually tow a boat.

This is not a thread about the legality of double tow. I already know in some states it is illegal but in others it is perfectly legal.

I am also aware of length limitation and stopping requirements.
24 REPLIES 24

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it for years. Everything from a really light 12' aluminum fishing boat, a tandem utility trailer hauling quads, a 16' Lund fishing boat, a 21' Crownline sterndrive (5500 pounds), but reached my limit with my current boat, a 23' Malibu 23LSV (6500 pounds).

Never used a rear view camera. Would be nice, but I don't think it is vital.

I will say the more tongue weight you have, the worse the ride in your truck is going to be. I still have my 16' Lund, and pull it without thinking twice.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

edhensley
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my PWC behind the 5th, yes I use a camera as there is no other way to see it.

wolf396
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 19' Baja behind my 27' Keystone FW. Just have to make sure not to pull in somewhere you cant drive thru, since backing up is pretty much impossible. I had a welder friend fab my receiver hitch and I bolted it thru the frame with 10 bolts. I get people staring at my setup but law enforcement here in Kansas has never stopped me in 10 or so years with this contraption.
'01 26' keystone hornet, '99 silverado 2500, '80 glastron cvx18

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
Interested in the same idea but towing a golf cart.
Someone said to weld the hitch rather than bolting it on.
Just wondering about the advantage of welding.
Seems like putting holes in the frame could be less stressful than heating it with a weld. What are the pro and con's to each method?
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a 15 foot aluminum boat for years behind 2 different travel trailers . We would tie a PVC pipe with red rags on the back of the boat so we could see the flags in the mirrors. Then later we would take this old Ouachita tri hull with us behind our fifth wheel. We never had any issues and actually did not really notice much more strain on the truck. These days if I were to do it again I would get a wireless camera to keep an eye on things .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed boats behind our FWs since 1993, when we bought our first FW. Boats ranged from a 19', very light, Byliner Capri to a 22' Sea Hunt Escape Dual Console Salt Water fishing boat whose weight on the wheels, while hooked to the FW, was 5,000 pounds. No problems and have been lucky enough to have not gotten in a position where we had to back up with all three items. I could turn around in a road if it was wide enough but have not driven on a road that wide. Our current sit-up is a Jayco SuperLite 26.5 RLS that is approximately 30' long from hitch to back of bumper and we hitch a Crestliner Super Hawk 1900 behind it and go camping and fishing. We do this at least three times each year when going to Grand Teton National Park, stay at Colter Bay campground and fish Jackson Lake. Needless to say, don't use a bolt-on hitch, go to a professional welder and have a hitch welded on to the FW and, if necessary, have them reinforce the frames toward the axles.
John A. Lichty

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
There are dozens of threads on the topic. Search using terms like "doubles" or "tandem" or "triples", and you will find plenty of discussing and a little cussing on the topic.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
My BIL towed a 20' speedboat behind his 30.5' 5th wheel from Iowa up to Minnesota for several years with no issues. He was finally told he couldn't do it anymore due to length restrictions. He could only tow with a 30' 5th wheel.

He said he could turn 180° on a two lane road. He never made mention of any problems.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 3000 lb bass boat behind a 24 ft 5er years ago. I couldn't see it in the mirrors. Turning was no problem because the tail swing tracked the boat within the 5er tracks.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed my 3500 pound I/O boat in my signature behind my 5th wheel. As a matter of fact down there in your state. I have done this about 1/2 dozen times. My boat trailer is wide enough I can see the wheel wells in my mirrors. I was pretty long. It is not my favorite thing to do and now I much prefer trailering behind my TC. People do it all over the place in my neck of the woods. I did notice some swaying back and forth of the boat trailer. I always traveled at or below 55 mph. You just want to be careful where you pull of the road make sure you have plenty of room for your turns.

JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!