cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffing/Compounding Info Needed

boatscr
Explorer
Explorer
My unit is 9years going on 10years old and the decals on the cap are getting shabby. I had to remove one and found the gel coat under the decal looks like new and very shiny. The rest of the cap shows its age but still looks good. I had the unit waxed and compounded last year.

I would like to dull the shiny part to blend in with the rest of the cap. Can anyone with experience recommend the right grit compound to do this job?

Also years ago after a blowout, I had some work done on a slide-out and the dealer finished the patch with what looks like a very shiny top coat something like used on a car. Over the years, the rest of the fiberglass aged but the topcoat is still very shiny. I would like to blend in the patch so it is not so noticeable. Also need grit/compound to do this job.

All replies will be greatly appreciated and helpful.
8 REPLIES 8

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
"I would like to DULL the shiney ".................. hence the sanding rec
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Nielson wrote:
boatscr wrote:
I would like to dull the shiny part to blend in with the rest of the cap. Can anyone with experience recommend the right grit compound to do this job?

Use 1000 grit wet or dry and use with sanding block, and water (3 gals) with a little (1 tsp) liquid detergent in it. Back and forth in one direction, then back and forth at 90* to original strokes. Don't use much pressure.

NO sanding!

Try a search on here for waxing, polishing, etc.
Topic has been on here often

Here's what a Meguiar's rep recommended - with Barry standing next to him.
1. Rent a dual action polisher.
2. Buy 3 yellow foam pads.
3. Use a cleaner wax.

Lots of other solutions have been posted over the years - but never seen a recommendation for sanding!

Of course none of those were for *dulling* the shiny part/s..:R

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
boatscr wrote:

Use 1000 grit wet or dry and use with sanding block, and water (3 gals) with a little (1 tsp) liquid detergent in it. Back and forth in one direction, then back and forth at 90* to original strokes. Don't use much pressure.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the gelcoat continues to be neglected that new looking area will be like the rest in no time.

If you want to restore the powdered gelcoat that will take some multi step work.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
boatscr wrote:
My unit is 9years going on 10years old
Strange expression.. does that mean it's closer to 10?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
I polished my entire trailer with compound meant for gel coat when I replaced my decals. It was a lot of work, but looks like new.
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, I would not dull the shiny part.

Did you consider the Zep/Red Max Pro Process?
Maybe you could try it on a small area to see how you like the results.

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are going to find that you want to polish the dull parts not dull the shiny parts.
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,