cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying Online

Rick_MC
Explorer
Explorer
We have been searching for a new 5th wheel. We really liked the Montana 3730 FL but it is out of our price range. We have decided on the Cougar 367 FLS. Since we are from Long Island, we are limited with dealerships. We have been speaking to a few places in Michigan online and have negotiated a decent deal that includes a trade for my current 2011 5th wheel. My problem, the new purchase all depends on getting the trade in value that was discussed over the phone. Yet it is only a verbal trade price conditional on an inspection at the time of purchase. I don't want to drive 750 miles only to have them lower the trade price after an inspection. I know that I could walk away from the deal, but I would potentially lose the downpayment and the time and money to drive there and back. Anyone have experience with long distance purchases?
2008 F350 Lariat DRW 6.4 PSD Super Duty 4.10 Rear
2018 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
Q5 Curt 20K Slider
2008 F250 Lariat Super Duty Firestone Air Ride Bags {sold}
23 REPLIES 23

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
We did that from rv nation. I live north of Toronto and purchased at rv nation in Ohio. Worked out well arrived at noon and was on my way by 3 to a nascar race in charlotte. We now have a rushmore front living room and love it.

Rick_MC
Explorer
Explorer
Montana, solitude, pinnacle front living are all out of my price range. Love my Komfort but want to get out of our Bunkhouse. The new Cougar is the size I want the floor plan that we like at a price we can afford. I have another 10 years until i retire, the next one after this will be our Luxury 5th.
Q5 Curt 20K Slider

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are going from your Komfort to a Cougar??? That's a serious downgrade!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
That's the downside of long distance, you trade price for convenience.

If you made them aware of any issues, I doubt they would try and change the price but if it gets there and they find major undisclosed problems, they want an out. It's a legitimate expectation. You could try to send pictures but that doesn't replace having a tech look it over.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
It might help to ask if you send them pictures will they confirm your trade. That’s what we did and completed the deal before we turned in the previous trailer.

Rick_MC
Explorer
Explorer
I have been talking with General Rv and Lakeshore Rv. Both are comparable, General has a better trade in price where lakeshore has a lower sale price but lower trade price. I didnt even think of it until reading reviews online.
Q5 Curt 20K Slider

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Me I would plan a weeks buying vacation, drop in with your trailer in tow all the paper work can be done in less than 4 hours if the deal works for you. When you come face to face with some dealers that's when the hemming and hawing begins and maybe a little back peddling.

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have experience with long distance purchases but have lots of experience with verbal trade in quotes from multiple dealers. I have never once had the dealer change the trade in quote once they see the actual trailer. As long as there isn't body damage you didn't disclose or the interior is severely damaged most reputable dealers will not back away from the quote. Do you mind sharing who in Michigan you are dealing with?

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
It’s a conditional price as you stated. No different than a conditional price from a local dealer. What is your current RV selling for on RV trader...minus twenty-five/thirty percent? 19k = 14k? This might give you an idea of its trade in value. Why would you lose the down payment? Paid before the trade in value is determined? Oh my. You are too anxious to buy. Why can’t the 750 mile drive with your current rv be an adventure?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad