cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ceiling Fan Pull Chain issue

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I've read numerous posts on several forums about how the pull chain on their ceiling fan wraps around one of the blades during travel. Mine does as well. Each time we go camping, I have to get out a step stool and unwind it. Twice, the fan has been turned on and the chain was pulled out because we forgot to unwind the chain. Then off to the hardware store I go to buy a new pull chain mechanism. Does everyone just add this to their list of "Don't forget to do these things" or is there a better solution?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
15 REPLIES 15

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
And our weights just do lay on top the slide, so they don't free swing.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
MNRon wrote:
The fan in our HitchHiker has a heavy weighted pull and it never wraps on our blades, maybe you just need a weighted pull?

Same thing with our trailer. The weight must be a help as we have this trailer 12 years and the chain has never wrapped around the blade.

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
The fan in our HitchHiker has a heavy weighted pull and it never wraps on our blades, maybe you just need a weighted pull?
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
little zip lock bag and a rubber band for travel.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes ours will do the same thing but I can reach it without the need of a step stool, so just added to the set up check list.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Jram wrote:
FWIW: If you are in a DIY mood get a soda straw ( the skinny type), decorate, wrap it or paint it, tread the chain thru it add pull knob to bottom of chain. Might work?

That's a really good idea! Thanks for this. I'll give it a try!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Jram
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW: If you are in a DIY mood get a soda straw ( the skinny type), decorate, wrap it or paint it, tread the chain thru it add pull knob to bottom of chain. Might work?

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Same issue here. Haven't bothered fixing it as we rarely use the fan. It's so close to the ceiling that it creates little to no air flow anyways.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, Sidecar, that's a big help.

Ours used to get flipped up over the blades (fan only; no light). I got an aftermarket remote controller at Lowes. The receiver wires into the circuit beyond the on-board switch, which is left on HIGH all the time. The entire receiver fits up inside the shroud with Velcro strips.

Transmitter is about half the size of a deck of cards and is mounted on the wall near the outside door.

Works great. One new xmit battery in five years. Sorry, I no longer have the Lowes stock number. I think the kit was from Hunter.

A
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not an issue with me, don't have one.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
Broke our globe twice. Ended up with a plastic globe and made the chains short.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
I use "wire twists" about 8" long. I just leave the pull chains hang down and then wrap a wire twist around the chains. No more problems.

I just continue to complain about ours ! 🙂
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I shortened ours.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB