cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Clearance for kayaks on my tow vehicle

Sammieb
Explorer
Explorer
I have a ford f 350 crew cab 8 foot bed I am putting kayaks on my tow vehicle. I am towing a 35 foot loredo fifth wheel not using a slide hitch I'm not sure how much room I need to leave between the end of t e kayaks and the hitch. If anyone could give me any advice I would appreciate thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
Need 3 measurements.

Back of the cab to the king pin.

King pin to the nose of the trailer including which side of the king pin its on

Width of the kayaks

A pic from the side would help
I need some wild

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I carry two kayaks on my CC LB. I lay them on edge facing each other. Makes them narrower. They hang out past the cab about 1'. I've turned some pretty sharp corners and never hit them.

Sammieb
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks for the information I have to do some measuring

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
When I carry one kayak I put it in the center of the truck, about 8" off the front of the 5er. The 5er will pivot around it and I don't have to worry about it hitting.
When carrying 2 boats I will load them vertically, as close to center as I can get them and can still load them about 12 - 18 inches from the front of the 5er's front cap.

I have some pics somewhere, if I can find them I will post them.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't go much past the rear window of the truck roof. You will need to account for hard turns with the 5th wheel...

This GOOGLE PHOTO shows about as far as I would install the KAYAKs. This will most likely require you to have a support frame coming up from the front truck bumper...

Photos from GOOGLE IMAGES

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Since 5ers will hit the cab of a truck with a 6'8" bed, in a tight turn, I would think that 1'4" behind the cab of a truck with an 8' bed would be as close as I would want to get. 1'6" behind the cab would be pushing it. One kayak in the center or stacked kayaks in the center could probably extend a little further.