cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cold weather and batteries. Pull them inside?

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,

Just curious how many of you bring your battery(s) in during the cold weather months vs leaving them on the camper. Last few years I've left them on the camper and plugged into the house. Hasn't seemed to affect them in the least when I'm dry camping. Am I just lucky or is keeping them hooked up and plugged in the right thing to do?

Thanks
20 REPLIES 20

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
if you disconnect them there is no need to recharge them. If you want to--plug in for 24 hours once per month.

CORRECT ! Actually better than leaving them on a "maintainer" continuously.

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the water levels though. I've been bringing mine into the garage for years and placing them on a trickle charger then about every couple of months I equalize them. So I am interested in this post, looks like I am guilty of overkill --- again.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

โ€œGoing to the mountains is going home.โ€ John Muir

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I take mine in my insulated/heated garage during extreme months, and give a maintenance charge when needed. I have a smart converter, so really could just leave on board, with no issue. I am plugged in at home 24/7 most of the year, when not using. I just see no need to keep other small battery drain items going all Winter, that cannot be disconnected.

Jerry

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
if you disconnect them there is no need to recharge them. If you want to--plug in for 24 hours one per month.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are plugged in and charge system is working... your battery is fine in all conditions.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Other than performance, cold is good for a battery. A fully charged lead-acid battery freezes around -90F. Cold temperature reduces self discharge. Fully charged and disconnected from all loads they will probably be fine over the winter even with no charging.

I rotate a small NOCO charger through all of my unused equipment during the winter to ensure it stays topped up. I just move it to the next battery on Sunday evenings.

The factory converter may result in water use during prolonged charging, so sure to check the cells occasionally if you rely on it.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73