cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert toyhauler to a travel trailer with Lazyboys etc..?

sheripoms
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,,
I have looked until I am blue in the face. I can't find a travel trailer I like. I was wondering if anyone just took a toyhauler and put in whatever couch they love and lazy boys etc... and just anchored it in the back part of toyhauler making it in to a travel trailer?
I would love the aspect of being able to change the floor plan up when you get tired of it.
10 REPLIES 10

afishinado
Explorer II
Explorer II
The previous owner of my TH is a NY-FL snowbird. He replaced the partition and little door with a set of French doors. He would offload his golf cart & Harley when he got to Florida, lay out a carpet and with about 8 screws attach 2 pieces of white paneling over the ramp, move the furniture out of the main cabin into the 'garage'. This going to work well for us as well, we are going to use it as a second home 240 miles away 9 months of the year and tour the other 2-3 months.. Here's what it looks like.

Makes it a whole lot roomier
2006 KZ - 37 my first RV of any kind
06 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Dually Cummins
Travel 2+ months a year with wife, 2 dogs and 2 Harleys

sheripoms
Explorer
Explorer
maddsilence ,, awesome,, Let me know how it turns out.
I am looking for a light weight one also with a light tongue weight. May be impossible to find though. I would like to keep it at 22 or 23 feet long.

maddsilence
Explorer
Explorer
This is my plan. Travel trailers make me a little too claustrophobic, and I have limited options with a smaller tow vehicle. I'm ordering a VRV with a small kitchenette, a bathroom, a shower and fold out beds. All the living space will be set up with furniture - not bolted to the ground. I'm ordering this month - will let you know how it works out.

Y-Guy
Be aware most Toy Haulers have a very heavy hitch weight, just be aware so you're not overloading your truck.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use the tie downs to secure any items. or, I'll bet putting a rubber mat on the floor would keep things from sliding around.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

Sledge_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
I took out the built in couch in my Fuzion and replaced it with a Lazy Boy couch. It is not bolted down and it doesn't move.
2013 Fuzion FZ315
2013 Ford F350 DRW

2Fliers
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced the RV sleeper sofa in our TH with a LazyBoy (Still use the back-end to haul the bikes.) It's not strapped down, and we've not had any issues with it moving around.
Mary Gail and Bobby
Sold the Truck - got a Jeep
Sold the Toy Hauler - getting a tent

sheripoms
Explorer
Explorer
I think its a awesome idea if I can get one with a ac that works through out the whole thing.. Which shouldnt be to hard because we are just looking for a small unit. The main thing would be figuring out how to strap the furniture to the floor. Anybody have any ideas?

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great Idea. I use mine more to camp than haul toys.
What TT has huge holding tanks, on-board generator and is built way more heavy duty.
The part I like the best, is that you can drop the rear door to horizontal by using cables and have a great view and a 7ft deck.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

BlindGuynAR
Explorer
Explorer
sheripoms wrote:
Hi everyone,,
I have looked until I am blue in the face. I can't find a travel trailer I like. I was wondering if anyone just took a toyhauler and put in whatever couch they love and lazy boys etc... and just anchored it in the back part of toyhauler making it in to a travel trailer?
I would love the aspect of being able to change the floor plan up when you get tired of it.

While I haven't done it I think it's a good idea. I myself considered the TH option before finding my current Floor plan.

Not so sure of the attachment to the walls of furniture as they aren't really meant to support/hold much, but maybe to the floor.

Seems like a benefit to be able to change out the décor and the open tailgate would make that really easy. Though down a carpet if you don't like the garage floor look.

Ensure the A/C has lots of vents back there or even another A/C unit just for that room. Most TH owners seem to complain that the garage gets to warm or to cold.

The one thought I have is empty ToyHaulers are normally very pin heavy when empty as they are expecting something in the back to help offset the weight.

If you don't mind the pin weight and want the versatility of the TH then I say go for it.
2013 Montana 346LBQ Mountainer edition
2017 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4 DRW
- B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch
- Transfer Flow 40ga aux tank/tool box
- Gatorback Mud Flaps
- Ultimate Camera Package