cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct Track doesn’t fit spring hanger

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’m in the process of adding a Correct Track system to our fifth wheel trailer to add 2” of height and provide room for 16” tires. However, it seems that the system expects 1 7/8” clearance inside the spring hanger for the spacer block and my hangers have 2” of clearance. Support claims that most trailers (larger than mine) use heavier spring hangers with only 1 7/8” clearance. This causes the Correct Track plates to pinch together at the bottom not giving enough clearance for the spring eyes. Support suggested adding washers to the middle bolt, but that seems to me to defeat the strength that the spacer block is supposed to add. The only solution that I can think of (that keeps some strength in the assembly) is to find a way to fabricate 2” spacer blocks.

Anyone had this problem?
Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
11 REPLIES 11

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
N-Trouble wrote:
I learn something new every day... Would have never thought about bending the axle but this raises the question do they come from the manufacturers (I.e. Dexter) out of whack? Do the axle manufacturers not have these setup with zero toe and camber when they roll off the assembly line.
They can come from the factory with alignment issues. They are cambered when new. Obviously bent when new as there is no way to manufacture a tube with a bend in in it. Mine were both installed out of alignment and tracking to the left. Had it aligned and it now pulls better and the tires are wearing evenly. If I ever buy another new trailer i will bring it to a shop a have the alignment checked.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
N-Trouble wrote:
I learn something new every day... Would have never thought about bending the axle but this raises the question do they come from the manufacturers (I.e. Dexter) out of whack? Do the axle manufacturers not have these setup with zero toe and camber when they roll off the assembly line.

Get a long straight-edge and head to an RV dealer. Crawl underneath and see how much arch there is on all those new axles. Frankly, you shouldn't even need the ruler; it should be very apparent just by looking.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Just found this on Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS0na5TsDws

Looks pretty brute force. I think the video answers my questions though. Looks like these guys are really just trying to "true" the axle back to factory specs as they bend over time with use.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
You bend them. We have a shop here in town that does it. Met a guy from northern Indiana at the shop one time who drove in to get his axles bent because no one at home could fix his tire wear problem. Some will say it's not worth it or it won't hold--to each his own. Correct Track only adjusts tracking so at a 90 angle from the ball/pin. I did not have a tracking problem--I just needed the height.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
N-Trouble wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
If they tell you to add washers, add washers. Can't see where it will affect anything. I'm not that sold on the Correct Track. If you're putting it on to raise the trailer that's one thing but as far as alignment goes I feel it's the latest gimmick and only adjusts the tracking of the axles. It does nothing for camber or toe which are two other important reasons to have a complete wheel alignment done.

B.O.

How can you adjust camber and toe on a solid axle? Maybe I'm missing something but I just can't visualize how this would be done.
A good frame shop does this by slightly bending the axle. They do this every day on large trucks with solid front axles. The cost for a complete alignment at a shop that works on semi trucks and trailers is in the $150.00-200.00 range. For what you are getting this is a bargain compared to what the Correct Track and the subsequent partial alignment at an RV shop will cost..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
If they tell you to add washers, add washers. Can't see where it will affect anything. I'm not that sold on the Correct Track. If you're putting it on to raise the trailer that's one thing but as far as alignment goes I feel it's the latest gimmick and only adjusts the tracking of the axles. It does nothing for camber or toe which are two other important reasons to have a complete wheel alignment done.

B.O.

How can you adjust camber and toe on a solid axle? Maybe I'm missing something but I just can't visualize how this would be done.

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't subscribe, so I didn't see this post. Yes, I'm still satisfied with the Correct Track and 16" tire combination, and would do it again. While a welded sub-frame would be stronger, I didn't have much luck finding a shop to do it, and figured that it would be significantly more dollars. We've had a bad pot hole season here in the midwest, so spring towing will tell more. We have just put about 3,000 mi. on the Correct Track so far. It does add some leverage to bending the hanger, but so far so good.

vr200275
Explorer
Explorer
lenr wrote:
The rest of the story—

Summary-> if you are going to install a Lippert Components Correct Track System check the internal clearance of your spring hangers. The kit is designed for 1 7/8” clearance only.

Since I found the verbal answers to my dilemma unsatisfactory, I filled a written warranty request with the manufacturer, Lippert, for properly fitting spacers for my Lippert frame. The same support person called me back offering to refund the price of the Correct Track kit. When I stated that, no, I really wanted to make it work, he suggested using pipes cut to 2” lengths as spacers saying that the kit originally used pipes instead of rectangular tubing. Apparently using washers wasn’t such a good idea after all. He also said that he had looked at 20 different frames in the factory and had found none that had 2” spring hanger clearance. Apparently I have the only Lippert frame in the world with 2” internal clearance spring hangers.

To solve the problem, however, I found a steel supply dealer who would cut 2x3” tubing into 2” lengths that I could use to replace the 1 7/8” tubing supplied in the kit. I was able to make this work satisfactorily except for one hanger. On one hanger it turned out that I needed a 2 1/16” spacer to keep the spring hanger spread far enough apart to not pinch the equalizer. I am quite satisfied with the final results of raising the trailer 2”. This allowed me to switch to 16” LT tires without clearance problems.

Hello

I am considering adding the Correct Track system to my fifth wheel for the added 2" clearance.

Are you still satisfied with the kit? Have you put many miles on it since installing it?

Thanks

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
The rest of the story—

Summary-> if you are going to install a Lippert Components Correct Track System check the internal clearance of your spring hangers. The kit is designed for 1 7/8” clearance only.

Since I found the verbal answers to my dilemma unsatisfactory, I filled a written warranty request with the manufacturer, Lippert, for properly fitting spacers for my Lippert frame. The same support person called me back offering to refund the price of the Correct Track kit. When I stated that, no, I really wanted to make it work, he suggested using pipes cut to 2” lengths as spacers saying that the kit originally used pipes instead of rectangular tubing. Apparently using washers wasn’t such a good idea after all. He also said that he had looked at 20 different frames in the factory and had found none that had 2” spring hanger clearance. Apparently I have the only Lippert frame in the world with 2” internal clearance spring hangers.

To solve the problem, however, I found a steel supply dealer who would cut 2x3” tubing into 2” lengths that I could use to replace the 1 7/8” tubing supplied in the kit. I was able to make this work satisfactorily except for one hanger. On one hanger it turned out that I needed a 2 1/16” spacer to keep the spring hanger spread far enough apart to not pinch the equalizer. I am quite satisfied with the final results of raising the trailer 2”. This allowed me to switch to 16” LT tires without clearance problems.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS