cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crazy idea- add 1/2 bath to garage area?

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so here's my wild idea for the moment. Let's say there's a Toy Hauler that I like but it doesn't have a 1/2 bath. (And a 1/2 bath is on our absolute "must have" list for us.)

How crazy is it to build a 1/2 bath in the garage?

And assume that I don't mind losing garage space to it.

The idea:
Here's my wild-idea... put the black tank on the floor and then build the bathroom on top of it. There would be a step up into the bathroom. The toilet on one side and then the sink on the other. Like my current 1/2 bath, the tank would be vented with an air admittance valve under the sink and the sink itself would be have a real p-trap. Looking at random black tank offerings, you could get a 15-20 gallon tank in a variety of sizes and depths.

Dumping it:
So then the next thing is- you'd need a way to dump it. You should be able to plumb in a end of line termination valve directly close to the tank or with maybe a short stub of a 3" pipe.

If the tank is set back from the wall- you could put in a long shallow hatch (like this? might be a little long for what is needed). The trick there is watching where studs are in the wall and making sure there's an un-interrupted span for the hatch.

You could even add a black tank flush right there.

Supplying water:
I guess that's the trickiest part. You'd have to run all new PEX lines. I assue you would just T-off near an existing fixture.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page
31 REPLIES 31

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
It certainly can be done. Maybe a bit of a liability at resale time, however if it's done well/correctly that should not be a big issue. go for it!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see that they make a DRV LX455 with a half bath off the cargo area...

DRV is a very nice rig I might add!

http://www.drvsuites.com/full-house-luxury-fifth-wheel-toy-haulers/floor-plans.html
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
I would contact the manufacturer and see if they can add a half bath as a upgrade!

I tried but they didnโ€™t get back to my email. Iโ€™ll have to give them a call.
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would contact the manufacturer and see if they can add a half bath as a upgrade!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s the DRV Full House LX450.

That sunk above is interesting- definitely a space saver but Iโ€™m not sure about it. The primary users are 2 kids and they make enough of a mess in their camperโ€™s 1/2 bath now...

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe something like this?

mattmountz94
Explorer
Explorer
Mind sharing which model you like

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
drmopar wrote:
Have you considered resale value after your mod?

Not really- but I expect to trade it in with a dealer vs selling to a private party. Theyโ€™re generally looking at overall condition and the make/model vs what you do to the inside. Thatโ€™s my theory and research so far, at least.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
There are a lot of toy haulers with a bath and 1/2, I would go find one of them I liked.

Iโ€™ve been looking. I either donโ€™t care for the floor plan or they donโ€™t have the carrying capacity that Iโ€™m after.

This one has most of what I want- itโ€™s just missing this one thing.

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered resale value after your mod?

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of toy haulers with a bath and 1/2, I would go find one of them I liked.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
arhayes wrote:
Why ask for opinions? Do it then share the finished result. It's your rig and your choice!

Mostly looking for input in case I'm overlooking something obvious.

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Why ask for opinions? Do it then share the finished result. It's your rig and your choice!
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Your clicky isn't working.
I think running the Pex lines would be the easiest part of this project.

Thanks. They're fixed.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought - HOT TUB!
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS