cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custom gooseneck hitch welded on

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
Should I be concerned about this hitch? It looks like it can't be reverted back to standard 5th wheel.
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner
2003 keystone cougar 281 EFS-31ft
13 REPLIES 13

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
As an ironworker for 38 years and welding for a living, iron (steel) is not wood. If you cut it too short you can always weld it back. Remember a weld is stronger than the base metal if you use the correct welding rod. I would not worry about it if it is a smaller 5th wheel just change it back. Welding back the pin would be simple with a cover plate.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Dtank wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
probably a good idea as pointed out there could be hidden frame damage from using that gooseneck.

"The good idea" (??) - - could be frame damage = Yes.

The good idea would be not buying that 5ver

What ^^^ he said! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dtank wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
probably a good idea as pointed out there could be hidden frame damage from using that gooseneck.

The good idea would be not buying that 5ver
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Simple enough to unbolt the pinbox and bolt on another

B.O.

x2. FWIW, in AZ, you could be cited for not having safety chains.

Lyle
X3!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Superbumper

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking if the owner had the original pinbox and didn't modify, that I could ask for that too. Then I'd only have to buy a 5th wheel hitch.
Seeing as how he doesn't I'll have to buy hitch and pin box. I think I'm going to have to pass once again on another camper. I'm praying that something pops up in my price range soon! It's camping season!!!!!!
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're screwed with that pin box! It looks like someone cut out the pin and stuck the entire g-neck tube thru the box and welded it top and bottom. Time for a RV salvage yard box.
I just saw you have a SB so you might want to think about a Sidewinder box, or whatever works with your truck, beings you need a new one anyway. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

x2. FWIW, in AZ, you could be cited for not having safety chains.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

richheck
Explorer
Explorer
I would be concerned about possible stress related damages to front hitch area of 5th wheel that are canceled within and not visible. As stated previously, most 5th wheel units are not designed for the additional stress created by a goos neck adaption.
2013 Ford F-350 4WD DWD 6.7PSD
2010 Jeep Wrangler
2017 Landmark 365 Arlington

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
What one welder welded, another can unweld. In general 5th wheels are not designed or built to take the stresses caused by a gooseneck.
Superbumper

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer