Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DC power low message on fridge

RDalr
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I have a message on my fridge that says DC power low. Can someone give me a clue as to its meaning, and what do I need to do to address the issue.

Your help is appreciated.

Rick

RDalr

27 REPLIES 27

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Verify that the positive is not grounded somewhere.
Disconnect battery, remove all 12 volt DC fuses from power distribution panel, disconnect from converter. Measure resistance between the positive wire and a good ground. Should show no or very high resistance.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RDalr
Explorer
Explorer
I did that before ordering a new converter. After replacing both fuses, I connected the power supply to 110 volts. The converter was not converting power to DC.Could not get any reading on the DC side of the converter.

RDalr

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should be able to disconnect the battery, install new fuses. The converter should then have 13+ volt output.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

RDalr
Explorer
Explorer
Enblethen.. thanks for the manual. My battery may be shorting out!

RDalr

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have the Manual
There is testing procedure in it. Have you tested it per the manual?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you tried replacing the fuses first before you ordered a new converter.

Usually the two fuses you have blown will only blow when battery has been comemcted in reverse polarity.. or if someone tried to put an external charger on the battery backwards and converter was connected that would also blowmthose reverse polarity fuses

RDalr
Explorer
Explorer
The converter I was using is a powermax 3-55 amps. I ordered the same as a replacement. Currently, I am using my battery and a charger to recharge it.

RDalr

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Something outside of the converter caused the fuses to blow.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
RDalr wrote:
My converter has blown both 30 amps fuses and it no longer converts 110 volt to 12 volt DC current. I ordered a replacement. Thank you all for your suggestions.
While you wait... have the battery checked.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would check your battery to make sure it is connected correctly.
The negative should go to the frame of the rig.
Would you post make and model of your current converter?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Charlie D. wrote:
I don't understand comments about it being a low battery.
If he's not on shore power it is.

Referencing Bob213's comment about no matter how the frig is being powered.

I believe when on shore power you need a functioning converter to supply 12v to the control board even without a battery. I could be wrong but I think the control boards are 12v.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

RDalr
Explorer
Explorer
My converter has blown both 30 amps fuses and it no longer converts 110 volt to 12 volt DC current. I ordered a replacement. Thank you all for your suggestions.

RDalr

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
Check the circuit breaker between the converter and battery. Many have a manual CB with manual reset. However, in many trailers with a three stage converter will maintain the fridge at 13+ volts if the CB to the battery has tripped. So not knowing your trailer model or make or wiring configuration it is difficult to help you. A 3 stage converter in bulk charge will put out 14+ volts and absobtion charge will be 13.5 and float charge (fully charged ) will be 13.2v.

RDalr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the added information.

RDalr