cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Hot Water

powellmj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I searched the forums and really couldn't find anything to help with my questions (So much great stuff on here) We recently found ourselves living in our 5th Wheel for an extended amount of time. Home, construction, land, legal.....Anyway, I was wondering if some of you have ever added any type of additional HW storage? Seems like you cold place an insulated tank inline with the HW and increase capacity? With us and 2 kids, the 6-gallon tank does not last long. I don't really have the money or expertise to replace existing HW system with one of the new tankless system. Yes, we do turn it on and off and try to take quick showers and I bought the Oxygenics showerhead, which does help. Since we will be stationary for several months, I'm also not worried about the added weight. So, outside of tankless options, how have any of you increased your HW capacities? Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

powellmj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. And I really appreciate everyone who actually read the entire post before responding. We do have a 50amp 5th, so I'm going to breakdown and add a point of use heater on the output side of the HW tank.

Thanks again!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why you are turning it on and off, just leave it on. With both gas and electric turned on the only problem is family members not being conservative and not allowing a bit of time between showers.

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived in our toyhauler in Colorado during the winter I discovered that the temperature of water coming into the water heater had a huge effect on how long the hot water would last for showers.
I installed an on demand propane water heater inline on the input side of the water heater. This used 2 D batteries for ignition and connected to a regular ground mounted bbq style propane tank. It would take our 40 degree water and raise the temp into the 70's. This allowed us to take pretty normal showers.
You could also look for a small electric unit like they use under the counter or cabinets in many commercial applications and put it in the basement or even under the trailer you would just have to figure out how to get electricity to it.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Put in a point of use tank. They come in anything from 2 to 10 gallon and sold at HD & Lowes. Small enough to fit under a sink. Most can be used as a booster so can be plumbed into the hot water line out of the existing water heater. Don't know if you have a 50 amp 5er or not. If you do, it is easy to do. If only 30 amp service, you may want to run a separate 20 amp line to the pedestal.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
not real hard to sit a 40gal outside the unit and plum in. call a mobil tech and talk to them price should be affordable.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
When I turn my water heater off, the water is still scalding hot hours later. A dual wall, insulated tank would get a family through dinner dishes and a few showers. OP, does you family practice military showers to conserve hot water?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Even an insulated tank would cool down fairly quickly when water was not flowing. You would need to build some type recirculating system to keep the reserve tank hot.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only way I see adding another tank inline is if that tank was another water heater or a solar water tank sitting in the direct sun plumbed into the cold water side of your current wh.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with an above poster who said run both propane and electric. Very fast recovery time. It sounds like you are already taking navy type showers. You could possibly modify the plumbing to use a house type water heater leaving it outside the trailer.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe something like this: Expansion tank. Ideal would be a residential hot water heater but they are big, very heavy and expensive. I'm not sure that a well expansion tank would work since the diaphragm may not stand up to hot water.

Have you thought where you will put this in your RV? Anything over ten gallons will be very heavy and you might have to reinforce the floor.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
The easiest way to increase hot water on some rigs is to turn on both the LP and electric modes. Faster reheating makes it go further.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73