cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dexter EasyLube Axle --- Remove/Reinstall Hubs

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
How difficult is it to remove the hubs from a Dexter EasyLube axle? I'm the guy who galled the lug bolts and am contemplating whether to attempt replacing the lug bolts myself.

People have pretty well convinced me the replacement of the bolts is not a big deal. But I'm worried about getting the hubs off the Dexter EasyLube axle and putting them back on without screwing it up. I have the disc brakes too. Anyone with actual experience? I'm not an accomplished mechanic, by the way.
7 REPLIES 7

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know how old your rig I but if it is more than 3-4 years old I wpould buy new hubs. At the least, inspect carefully after removal.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
waltbennett wrote:
DavisK wrote:
Why would you remove the hub to replace the studs? Can't you knock them out with the hubs in place?

Whatever you do, figure out how to use a puller/pusher to force them out and not a hammer. Be nice to your bearings!

Can't remove the studs without removing the hubs. The studs are installed from the back side. Removing old studs has no effect on bearings when the hubs a removed. Make sure the studs are seated fully when reinstalling.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
DavisK wrote:
Why would you remove the hub to replace the studs? Can't you knock them out with the hubs in place?

Whatever you do, figure out how to use a puller/pusher to force them out and not a hammer. Be nice to your bearings!
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Removing/replacing the hub is simple, but you can cause yourself a lot of stranded by the side of the road grief if you foul it up.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
I have Dexter EZ Lube, not a big deal pulling, one lock ring, one nut and should slide right off. I replaced all brakes from backing plate out and all bearings and races. If you do pull the hubs, might want to have at least new seals to put back in. You might or might not discover grease on your drum brake pads which then means new brake pads and cleaning hub and other stuff.

If you galled the lugs might want to think about some help 🙂

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe so; I'll get under there and look closer tomorrow. Would all that pounding damage my bearings? Or maybe the outside axle housing takes all the force? Have to see if the hub itself butts up against the axle housing.

DavisK
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, rescued mini Dachshunds