cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dexter wet bolt repair

slomark
Explorer
Explorer
Having installed the system several years ago, and paying close attention to installing the grease hole in the bolt in a horizontal position, I've begun to have difficulty in greasing the bolts that mount to the hangars. Even after removing the tire, and unloading the axle the grease would not easily flow, in fact two of the four bolts were dysfunctional.

While installing new bronze bushings, it became apparent that the eye hole in the leaf spring had become out of round. After the new bushing was pressed in, the bolt would not easily slide through it, and it too had to be pressed in as well. Even with this new bushing the grease will not flow. I did check the bolts, and the pathway for the grease was clear.

During the initial installation, this problem did not exist, and I'm trying to understand as to how the leaf spring eye could become elongated, and how to best remedy the problem?
'09 Heartland Sundance 285bh, '08 CTD
5 REPLIES 5

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The eyehole in springs can wear with use. Sounds like yours are deformed. Perhaps time for new springs?

I just installed a Dexter EZ-Flex in my rig. All the bronze bushings just slipped in - no pressing.

Bunklash
Explorer
Explorer
What Charlie D said!
USAF retired
'08 Cameo F35SB3
'02 F350 PSD, CC, SRW, 2WD
One terrific wife

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
The serrations under the bolt head is to keep the bolt from turning. If you had to press the bolt onto the bushing, that may be your issue of inability to grease. I suspect the eye became elongated because the bolt to bushing fit froze together and the bushing turned in the eye. You may also try to enlarge the cross drilled hole.

When greasing bushings and similar items, it is best to turn the outlet hole opposite the pressure point. That would mean that it is to be sideways as you stated. If it were me and having problems greasing, I would turn it to the 1-5-7-or 11 O'clock position, see if it takes grease and not worry any further.

Good Luck
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
My guess would be that the bushing was round and the eye hole in the spring was not, and when you pressed in the brass bushing you created an out-of-round condition with the bushing and now it may fit tight enough that no grease will flow out of the hole.

My advice would be to ream the bushings after pressing them in. They should be a very easy press fit, if you really have to use some force to put them in, they will probably deform and should be reamed back to a round condition. I reamed all the bushings I installed, better safe than sorry.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Half of the wet bolts I installed were not drilled all the way through so there's no way they would accept grease. Yep, those wacky Chinese (and eTrailer) are at it again.
I suggest you completely pull one of the offending bolts and try to grease it.