cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I just buy a 5th wheel?!?!?! What did I get into?

webejpn
Explorer
Explorer
Some background.
Been camping all my life. We recently sold our travel trailer that was sitting on some land we owned. We sold it with the land because I had no way to tow it hence why it sat at that land. Well, that was 4 months ago and since I bought a new half ton truck shortly after selling the land, we got the itch to buy a camper that we could actually go places with. So we went to the dealer with full intent on buying a mid 20's footer travel trailer. Well, thanks to a good salesman and my negotiating wife we got a great deal on a 2018 Arctic Wolf 265dbh8 fifth wheel. I've never owned a 5th wheel!!!!

My truck is a 2015 Chevy Silverado half ton, crew cab with 3.73 gears (10,900lb towing capacity)
I guess my biggest concern is towing this trailer with this truck. Any insight as to what I'm getting into?

Thanks
Matt
-2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L Max Trailering Package 3.73 Rear gearing
-2018 Arctic Wolf 265dbh8
80 REPLIES 80

webejpn
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate everyone's feedback/opinions on this matter. I will be the first to admit that unlike every other single purchase i make, i did not research the snot out of it (my wife hates that i do this).

I went to the dealership last night to make things final. I straight out told them what i had learned on here, all the folks i called yesterday (GM, Forrest River direct, couple local GM dealers, etc.). They gave me absolutely no hassle that if i wanted to call the deal off, i could without any implications. But they also gave me the opportunity to hitch it up and take it for a spin. If i didn't feel good about the way it dropped my truck or how it handled, again, i could kill the deal. So we hooked her up....boy, if i get nothing out of this other than seeing the ease and simplicity of hooking up a 5'ver.....DANG THAT WAS EASY!!!! I can see how this is a marriage saver!!
Anyway, i was surprised that as my truck sat as is, she only dropped about 3". So it actually leveled my truck out perfectly in terms of front to rear wheel well space. Took her out for a spin and she handled like a champ. Now remember, all i have to compare to is TT and flat trailers with wheelers on them.

So needless to say, i felt comfortable and confident with proceeding with the deal.

To the folks that said, go ahead and try it and see what YOU think...thanks for your encouragement.
For the naysayers...stay tuned to my future postings to see how it pans out and if i fail miserably feel free to use me as the "I told you so.." example
-2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L Max Trailering Package 3.73 Rear gearing

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2, I see way more 3/4 ton trucks exceeding their ratings than I do 1/2 tons.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
webejpn wrote:
Since this discussion has gone longer than i expected, i thought i should recap the factual items:

Curb weight (straight from GM based on my vin#) = 5359lb

GM should also have the curb weight for each axle. Other that occupants, most of the added weight will be on the rear axle. Then you can get a good idea what the loaded rear axle weight will be vs. rear GAWR.

Being slightly over on the truck's GVWR is not nearly as serious as exceeding the axle rating. There are many diesel 3/4 trucks with under 10k lb GVWRs that are being exceeded every day.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:
2112 wrote:
Pack light and enjoy your trailer. Come back and tell us how it worked out.
I love towing mine with this incapable half ton

This is the issue with always only looking at the 5ers GVWR. This one has a 3,000+ payload, that is a lot!!! Likely as OP stated only lost about 1,000# it does look close and possibly doable.

Yes, Russ, the OP is not likely going to put 3,200 lbs of stuff in that FW, obviously not full timing. Many so called 1/2 ton towable FWs only have 4,400 lb axles, with much less CCC. I think OPs trailer has 5,200 lb axles, which is great! I think coming from towing a large TT, the OP is going to love the way his truck handles that FW. Only thing I would not like is always having to be cautious of not overloading, taking everything I want along, including a full fresh tank.

IMO, the OP has one of the best 1/2 tons out there for this trailer. I don't think it will feel unsafe, or break in the middle of the road. I think ratings are important, but so is a good driver, with towing experience. If at or near RAWR, I would do this.

Jerry

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
2112 wrote:

This is the issue with always only looking at the 5ers GVWR. This one has a 3,000+ payload, that is a lot!!! Likely as OP stated only lost about 1,000# it does look close and possibly doable.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

webejpn
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
webejpn wrote:
Info from my truck tag:
GVWR 7600
GAWR FRT 3950
GAWR RR 4300

Total combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed 1910

Tire load range E

That info is impressive for a 1/2 ton truck! I think that the loaded pin weight, plus whatever else goes in the truck, may put you a little over on payload. With 4,300 RAWR you should be close. E-rated tires are great. You didn't mention what hitch being installed. If it is a heavy auto slider, that is a lot of wt.

IMHO, your truck/trailer could be used, if you can stay under RAWR, with both truck and trailer loaded to camp.

Your FW GVWR with large CCC, tells me that you have 5,200 lb axles under the FW. That is a good thing too, as not only more trailer capacity, but much larger brake drums/shoes.

If you are comfortable with the towing experience, feel safe, it may work for you. While a HD truck would be a better tool for the job for most, everyones comfort zone is not the same

Didn't see the Curt hitch, before I posted. That is not so heavy.

Good luck,

Jerry

Jerry,

Yes, my truck has the Max Trailering Package which was a must when i was looking to purchase.
9.76 REAR AXLE * 3.73 REAR AXLE RATIO * TRAILER BRAKE CONTROLLER * ENHANCED COOLING RADIATOR * REVISED SHOCK TUNING * HEAVIER DUTY REAR SPRINGS AND INCREASED RGAWR * TRAILERING EQUIPMENT PKG INCL AUTO LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL * WHEELS, 18" BRIGHT MACHINED.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
From the #'s you posted, IF the dry hitch/dry wt ratio of about 16.4% stays true, you're right at 1,900 lbs pin weight. I very seriously doubt that % will hold, once you start loading and you'll be much nearer the 20% ratio of 2,300 lbs. Add the 600 lbs of people and you're at 2,900 lbs of payload and you haven't even touched the hitch. The aluminum Andersen ultimate would add about 50-60; 38 for the hitch and the rest for the rails, so you're d@mn close to 3,000 lbs of total payload if the FW is at GVW. I do understand that you travel with empty tanks, but you can't always count on that. What do you do when, not if, a dump station is closed, or the CG sewer is blocked or otherwise unusable, and you've now got nearly 1,000 lbs of weight that you didn't count on (full grey and black tanks)? It's happened to me a couple times and I had to tow my FW a couple hundred miles with nearly full tanks, that I hadn't counted on. Personally, I'd undo the FW deal and try and move into something like a Jayco Eagle HT at 9,950 GVW or a KZ Durango 1500 at 10,500 GVW. Not the only "half-ton" towables out there, but a lot better than the Arctic Fox, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Explorer II
Explorer II
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
webejpn wrote:
Info from my truck tag:
GVWR 7600
GAWR FRT 3950
GAWR RR 4300

Tire load range E

That info is impressive for a 1/2 ton truck! I think that the loaded pin weight, plus whatever else goes in the truck, may put you a little over on payload. With 4,300 RAWR you should be close. E-rated tires are great. You didn't mention what hitch being installed. If it is a heavy auto slider, that is a lot of wt.

IMHO, your truck/trailer could be used, if you can stay under RAWR, with both truck and trailer loaded to camp.

Your FW GVWR with large CCC, tells me that you have 5,200 lb axles under the FW. That is a good thing too, as not only more trailer capacity, but much larger brake drums/shoes.

If you are comfortable with the towing experience, feel safe, it may work for you. While a HD truck would be a better tool for the job for most, everyones comfort zone is not the same

Didn't see the Curt hitch, before I posted. That is not so heavy.

Good luck,

Jerry

webejpn
Explorer
Explorer
Since this discussion has gone longer than i expected, i thought i should recap the factual items:

Tow Vehicle:
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
5.3L engine
6.5ft bed
Crew Cab
3.73 Rear axle gearing
Payload = 1910lb
Brake controller built in

Tires are load rating E w/ 3000lb capacity

GVWR = 7600lb
GAWR FRT = 3950lb
GAWR RR = 4300lb
GCWR = 16,700lb
Curb weight (straight from GM based on my vin#) = 5359lb

Hitch:
Curt A16 = 158lb

5th Wheel:
2018 Arctic Wolf 265dbh8
GVWR = 11519lb
Hitch Weight = 1359lb
UVW = 8284lb
CCC = 3235lb
(2) full 20lb propane tanks = 64lbs
Interstate battery (don't recall specific model) = 45lbs

Occupants:
3 in truck = 600lbs

Misc.:
-I never haul with loaded tanks (fresh, grey or black)

If i think of anything else, i'll add/update this list.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
ChuckV1 wrote:

You are correct, truck brakaes stop the truck an trailer brakes stop the trailer, but if you loose the trailer brakes for some reason then you need a larger truck with bigger brakes to slow you down ... If you drive in the mid west there is only rolling hills for the most part, but if you drive in the western United States you would understand you need all the brakes you can get along with an engine brake if possible ...
I will say it point blank, a 1/2 ton pickup no matter what brand will not pull a 5th wheel no matter what the salesman states, it not safe, it will be hard on the truck an you if you go ahead with it...

It's just plan not safe any way you look at it ....

I wish Safe travels but not with a 1/2 pickup trade up to a 3/4 ton

If you loose the trailer brakes, then the only truck that can handle the added braking requirement is one that has a GVWR in excess of the actual loaded weight of truck AND trailer. Not practical, my 11,400 lb GVWR truck could only handle a loaded trailer weight of 3300 lbs. None of us have a truck and trailer combo like you suggest. Which is something much more restrictive that the truck manufacturer's rated GCWR.

While I use a 1 ton now, I have used a 1/2 ton for towing 5th wheels in the past. 14 years, 2 trucks, 3 different 5th wheels and never felt unsafe in any western state. I have certainly towed fifth wheels more miles with a 1/2 ton than I have with a 1 ton.

But having said that, the OP's planned setup is too much IF he will exceed the truck's GCWR or rear GAWR.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
I think the gallery has spoken don't do it or do it and regret it

webejpn
Explorer
Explorer
Info from my truck tag:
GVWR 7600
GAWR FRT 3950
GAWR RR 4300

Tire load range E

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
my KZ is roughly the weight of your unit, maybe a little more and while they say its a 1500 series Fiver, no way in hell could a 1/2ton handle it properly nor would I want to.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

przao
Explorer
Explorer
webejpn wrote:
So someone said this is a heavy half ton fifth wheel. I'd be interested to hear which other ones are lighter?

I look d my truck up online and it looks like payload is just over 2,000

I've a Forest River Signature Ultralight that weighs 7900 lbs dry. I tried towing it with a 1996 12-valve Dodge Cummins and felt that was under powered. As has been mentioned, once you add water, propane, batteries, etc. you're rolling with significant weight over the dry weight.

I now tow it with a 6.7L one ton Cummins because the wife did not feel safe in the old rig. 😄
PZ