cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do They Make 5th Wheels Like This Anymore??

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
Do they make new 5th wheels with a small area over the pivot point anymore?

Like this? Where there is just a bed there sort of like a truck camper but bigger?

Are there new models out that are smaller like that?

28 REPLIES 28

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I did a quick search and couldn't find any low profile 5th wheels. The shortest I could find was the Winnebago 2405BH. With an overall height of 11.5ft, 13.5 ft is typically the max legal height. That gives you 2ft plus the height of the suspension...so if your truck puts it less than 3.5ft off the ground, it should be viable.

PS: We've had both fiberglass and aluminum siding. Unless you spend a lot of time in hail areas, I prefer aluminum. The market has moved to fiberglass mostly because it looks pretty. There's certainly nothing dangerous about it.
- My Dad's 40yr old aluminum sided trailer was in perfectly good condition when it was sold. We had a 1997 that is in the same park we are in right now...siding is perfectly fine.
- Go wander an RV park and it's rare to find a 5yr or older fiberglass unit that doesn't has at least a small area of delamination.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Our first 5th wheel rv trailer was like that with a truck camper style bed above the pin. It was a 26' 1984 Aljo Aries RB (rear bath).
Double towed a 18' 3500 lb bass boat with it.
Check out Allen Campers (Allen Oklahoma). allen campersThey show pictures of 5th wheel trailers with just the bed like a truck camper.

I bought my first 8' over head truck camper from them in '72. No issues with it...till a '75 tornado took it.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
You would need an older truck to pull an old style low profile 5th wheel. New trucks are too tall at the bed rails.

Here are a few to look at. Not what you want but a few examples of mid profile fifth wheels.

https://trekkn.co/small-5th-wheel-trailers/

Yes, definitely trying to get these things to all match up

The bed rails are 36” from the ground on the commercial truck I’m using.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You would need an older truck to pull an old style low profile 5th wheel. New trucks are too tall at the bed rails.

Here are a few to look at. Not what you want but a few examples of mid profile fifth wheels.

https://trekkn.co/small-5th-wheel-trailers/

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
Funny, a friend just sent me this yesterday. I believe that’s a Scamp 5th wheel on top of that commercial truck. Looks like you’d need about a 6’ stepladder to get in the thing :W

:):)

That’s the general idea.

But, that’s a little different than my idea. It’ll have a pass though and it’s on a much lower truck frame. also, I need to buy new. I’m not looking for old stuff.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
All 5ers have an area over the pivot. When we were shopping modern trailers were described as "low, mid, or full profile" meaning the height of the front.

Most floorplans have additional storage and utility space under the bedroom and bath. Short or long these are things that most of the world thinks work better.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, a friend just sent me this yesterday. I believe that’s a Scamp 5th wheel on top of that commercial truck. Looks like you’d need about a 6’ stepladder to get in the thing :W

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 1987 Coachman Frolic 18' fifth wheel. I used it for hunting and 3d shoots for 12 years and it was so easy to use and handle. I flipped the axles and it weighed 3800# empty. It was great and I could take it anywhere . Just sold it 2 months ago and got more for it than I paid 12 years ago.

AdvancedQs
Explorer
Explorer
So ok, I’ll come clean. I’m looking at making an expedition rig with a commercial truck and an RV with that shape I posted would work better than a travel trailer for it since the bed would be over cab.

Looks like they don’t make such a thing I guess.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
It may be old but how many new 5th wheels come with their own roof mounted wind turbine? 😉
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
5ers like you picture with exposed propane tanks and corrugated aluminum siding are long gone. Market shift hail damage and safety makes them obsolete.
Overheads have risen along with long bed trucks or sliding hitches that allow close coupled trailers.
Truck bed heights are rising, tanks moving to enclosed, super easily damaged siding gone with reason.
There is a new normal it is better

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Assuming you are talking about a new unit...You might be able to special order one but finding one on the dealers lot...not likely.

Travel Trailers make more sense for smaller towable RVs. Frees up the truck bed for hauling things as your example has effectively eliminated the underbelly storage.

Also, the payload becomes an issue. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck is overkill but a 1/2 ton will struggle with payload (say a light 6000lb trailer will have around 1500lb on the pin)...so no payload left to load up the bed with firewood. A 6000lb bumper pull might have an 800lb hitch weight leaving an extra 700lb of payload to play with.

Most people want at least a mid-profile 5th wheel (where you can stand hunched over a bit and sit up in bed) if they are going to go with a 5th wheel.

Yes, 5th wheels tow very nicely but properly set up, a bumper pull should tow just fine. If you are white knuckling it, something is set up wrong.

So what is your goal with going with a low-profile 5th wheel?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
AdvancedQs wrote:
Do they make new 5th wheels with a small area over the pivot point anymore?

Like this? Where there is just a bed there sort of like a truck camper but bigger?

Are there new models out that are smaller like that?

My '04 Komfort 25FSG was like that, though not quite =that= low profile. 🙂 Komfort made one that was smaller, with tin sides, than the one we had, and I recently saw one. Late b-i-l had a 19-20' FW that was very similar to the one in your pic. I also towed a 19-20' FW up to CO, and back, for a neighbor. Was so old that it had a manual slide out. 🙂

Oh, yes, the bed is in the space over the pin. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Y-Guy
I know that Scamp makes one; 19' Deluxe 5th Wheel Travel Trailers

Escape 5.0

Then you get into something like the Winnebago Micro Minnie but I think those are on the way out.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon