cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Double Towing (Tailer behind Fifth Wheel) In Central FL

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up, I have seen several Fifth Wheels that were towing a small trailer pulled over by the FHP in the last week.

This was on county Highways (441 and 27) not on I-75. Not sure if they are cracking down on this but it was strange to see it and would hate to see anyone get stuck.

One of them had a nice Harley on the trailer and I would have stopped but could not as I was heading to a Doctor's appointment. I did check to see if they were still there 2 hours later but they were gone.

I have no idea if they made them drop the trailer or maybe they took pity on them if they were almost to their destination.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona
7 REPLIES 7

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Keep Florida Green! Bring Yankee money.

+1
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep Florida Green! Bring Yankee money.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
The once and only time we were ever stopped anywhere for double towing (truck/5th wheel/16' boat) was on US-1 (Overseas Highway) in the Keys near Long Key back when it was perfectly legal to do so (1994). By a Dade County Sheriff who had traffic blocked with his vehicle and admitted he didn't know what the legal combo length allowed was in Florida. He said he'd stopped us because we looked awfully long. Got his wheel out of his trunk and ran it 3 times and then asked if I knew how long we were. I said yes and that we are 2" short of the max allowed in Florida. After a couple minutes, he said "be careful and enjoy your stay here" and got in his vehicle and made a "U" turn right on the bridge and left. This allowed the long backed up traffic to flow again. What a jerk!

Never been stopped since after and double towed many times since it was supposed to be illegal to double tow in Florida or in any other state either. We see RV rigs double towing when in Florida in winter several times a day and never seen one pulled over by an officer.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those of us who LIVE in Florida keep telling those of you who VISIT that you are taking a chance. If the LEO is having a bad day you will not only get the fine, but will drop the second trailer on the spot and have to come back for it later. Usually nobody cares, but if you are the "lucky" one, it will ruin your whole afternoon.

Florida double towing law was specifically written to permit commercial trucking operations. Allowed only with a special commercial permit for each tractor; only on certain limited access highways or within specified distance from interchanges (varies by interchange); and NEVER by private users.

I spent several years as Traffic Operations Engineer for Orange County (Orlando and WDW) checking truck terminal permit applications to see if they were within the distance limits from various Turnpike interchanges.

Good luck and be careful out there!

(Florida Statutes Chapter 316; et seq. Available online.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just because it isn't legal doesn't necessarily mean they got stopped for it. It all depends on the outlook of the LEO and if he has other more important things to do. I've traveled through several non-double towing states with my Smart Trailer and have never been stopped. Lots of variables.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Or if it had nothing to do with the double trailer at all. Perhaps checking the safety issue and proper licensing?

Maybe but double towing is not legal in FL
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Or if it had nothing to do with the double trailer at all. Perhaps checking the safety issue and proper licensing?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"