cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical Fire -- WARNING TO KEYSTONE OWNERS

rmcspeterson
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2013 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel model 331MKS. It is 11 moths old. Yesterday my wife and I left for a 3 day weekend camping by the Pacific Ocean in Washington State (about 2 1/2 hours from our home). When we got to the campground, we started setting up. The rig was only on 12V battery power. I had not yet connected to shore power. When I pushed the button to lower the landing gear, nothing happened. I tried the remote control, and nothing happened again. Thinking that the battery may have discharged, I went to get the power cord intending to plug it in. The cord was in the storage area in the front, under the hitch, where the battery is. When I opened the door, immediately SMOKE was billowing out. Then I saw the FLAME. It was coming from the circuit board above the battery.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I immediately got the fire extinguisher. After using it several times, the flame kept coming back. I called 911 for the fire department. While on the phone with 911, they asked about propane on board. The propane tanks are right next to the area burning. I immediately removed both of them. All I could think of was the possibility of an explosion. The dispatcher asked if there was anything else nearby that could burn. I said "yes, it is connected to my truck which is full of diesel." I could imagine everything going up in smoke. I turned off the battery, turned off all the circuit breakers, but the flame kept coming back after I kept using the fire extinguisher.

My wife went for the campground ranger. I finally emptied the fire extinguisher and the flame came back. I had nothing else to try, so I reached in and pulled the wires out which were all melted at and around the circuit board. The fire finally went out. By the time the fire department came, it was out.

The camp ranger told us that he had never seen anything like this before since it was not plugged into 110. Since the trip was ruined and since the warranty is good for a few more weeks, I drove the rig to the dealer (about 2 1/2 hours away). I called them in advance. Initially they sounded like they didn't believe me.

When I got to the dealership, 3 men came out to look. They said that they couldn't believe what they saw and that they had never seen this happen before. They took pictures. Our 5th wheel is now at the dealer. They said they will be talking to Keystone on Monday to see what next steps there are.

I am sharing all this:

1. To alert fellow 5th wheelers about this, particularly anyone with a 2013 Keystone Cougar 331MKS. This could have resulted in serious injury or even death. What would have happened if this fire started in the night? The bedroom is directly above the compartment that was burning. We could have been killed.

2. The dealer said this is the first time they have ever seen this. Maybe that is true (particularly for that particular dealership), but perhaps this is a bigger or pervasive problem. The staff at the dealership said that the circuit breaker or fuses between the battery and the circuit panel that burned had not done anything. Clearly that is a huge problem if the safety devices do not work when they should.

3. I think it is important that fellow RVer's inform others of such hazards. Perhaps Good Sam Club or other agency tracks this kind of serious problem. I did lodge a concern with Consumer Reports already. I don't know if there is a state or federal agency that should also be notified.

4. I don't know what the resolution with Keystone and the dealership will be at this time. Perhaps there is some type of advocacy that is available to help us.

BOTTOM LINE: If this can happen to us, it could happen to anyone. We were fortunate that no one was hurt or worse. But, maybe the next family will not be so lucky.

I appreciate this opportunity to share this scary and worrisome situation with all of you.
42 REPLIES 42

ForestGump
Explorer
Explorer
RandACampin wrote:
rmcspeterson wrote:
We own a 2013 Keystone Cougar 5th wheel model 331MKS. It is 11 moths old. Yesterday my wife and I left for a 3 day weekend camping by the Pacific Ocean in Washington State (about 2 1/2 hours from our home). When we got to the campground, we started setting up. The rig was only on 12V battery power. I had not yet connected to shore power. When I pushed the button to lower the landing gear, nothing happened. I tried the remote control, and nothing happened again. Thinking that the battery may have discharged, I went to get the power cord intending to plug it in. The cord was in the storage area in the front, under the hitch, where the battery is. When I opened the door, immediately SMOKE was billowing out. Then I saw the FLAME. It was coming from the circuit board above the battery.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I immediately got the fire extinguisher. After using it several times, the flame kept coming back. I called 911 for the fire department. While on the phone with 911, they asked about propane on board. The propane tanks are right next to the area burning. I immediately removed both of them. All I could think of was the possibility of an explosion. The dispatcher asked if there was anything else nearby that could burn. I said "yes, it is connected to my truck which is full of diesel." I could imagine everything going up in smoke. I turned off the battery, turned off all the circuit breakers, but the flame kept coming back after I kept using the fire extinguisher.

My wife went for the campground ranger. I finally emptied the fire extinguisher and the flame came back. I had nothing else to try, so I reached in and pulled the wires out which were all melted at and around the circuit board. The fire finally went out. By the time the fire department came, it was out.

The camp ranger told us that he had never seen anything like this before since it was not plugged into 110. Since the trip was ruined and since the warranty is good for a few more weeks, I drove the rig to the dealer (about 2 1/2 hours away). I called them in advance. Initially they sounded like they didn't believe me.

When I got to the dealership, 3 men came out to look. They said that they couldn't believe what they saw and that they had never seen this happen before. They took pictures. Our 5th wheel is now at the dealer. They said they will be talking to Keystone on Monday to see what next steps there are.

I am sharing all this:

1. To alert fellow 5th wheelers about this, particularly anyone with a 2013 Keystone Cougar 331MKS. This could have resulted in serious injury or even death. What would have happened if this fire started in the night? The bedroom is directly above the compartment that was burning. We could have been killed.

[COLOR=]Why are you trying to single out Keystone and this particular model? This could have happened to ANY rv and you have no idea what caused it.

2. The dealer said this is the first time they have ever seen this. Maybe that is true (particularly for that particular dealership), but perhaps this is a bigger or pervasive problem. The staff at the dealership said that the circuit breaker or fuses between the battery and the circuit panel that burned had not done anything. Clearly that is a huge problem if the safety devices do not work when they should.

Huge problem? Once again...calm down you have no idea what caused it.

3. I think it is important that fellow RVer's inform others of such hazards. Perhaps Good Sam Club or other agency tracks this kind of serious problem. I did lodge a concern with Consumer Reports already. I don't know if there is a state or federal agency that should also be notified.

Notify them of what? Once again you have no clue what caused it. How do you know it's a serious problem?

4. I don't know what the resolution with Keystone and the dealership will be at this time. Perhaps there is some type of advocacy that is available to help us.

Why should Keystone be involved at all...sounds more like an insurance claim. The term advocacy makes me think you are looking to sue. Turn it in to your insurance and let themn do their job.

BOTTOM LINE: If this can happen to us, it could happen to anyone. We were fortunate that no one was hurt or worse. But, maybe the next family will not be so lucky.

You are right it could happen to anyone. Most people turn it in to their insurance.

I appreciate this opportunity to share this scary and worrisome situation with all of you.

Sorry for your situation, but the bottom line is at this point in time you know nothing...the fire could have been caused by any number of things. Contact your insurance company and let them sort it out. Thats what it's for.

X2
This is Ford country, on a quiet night you can hear a Chevy rust.

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the information and please keep us posted. I'm glad it wasn't more of a disaster beyond ruining your vacation.
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for keeping us updated, O.P.

Side question:

Is the report you filed at Safercar.gov up and in the system? Regardless of outcome, such reports are usually visible to the Public (for obvious reasons); but I went looking and couldn't find anything that looked like it was related to this incident. Just asking because I wouldn't want to think that a mfr. could get such things removed/repressed etc...

Thanks!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I missed it, but where is this relay and circuit board? Is it the converter load center or are we talking about the remote control circuit board? Thanks for the update.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

rmcspeterson
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone told our dealer that a relay stuck together and there was carbon build up that developed on it. This cause the short that set the fire. They are supposed to send a new circuit board and have authorized clean up and repair of damage. I still do not know what caused the relay to stick. Basically I am left wondering if this could happen again.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
I've not owned a Keystone product and have had them on my short list for a future trailer. It's good to see how they and Lippert reacted and have dealt with this. Until matey once the insurance company processes the claim they would be subrogating anyways.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

richh
Explorer
Explorer
That circuit board provides all the remote control functions that are on that model.
Landing Gear
Electric Awning
Lights
etc...

2006 Silverado 2500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax

2012 Keystone Cougar 5th Wheel 331 MKS

Reese 16K Slider

Rich & Tracy

[purple] Max & Gracie (Yellow Lab Mix) [/purple]

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
rmcspeterson wrote:
As for the ongoing saga: Keystone flew a representative out from the factory in Indiana. Lippert, manufacturer of the circuit board, also sent out a representative. They had not seen anything like it and spent 4 hours going over it. The Lippert representative took the circuit board back so their company could do microscopic analysis. Contrary to one of the posters, it wasn't caused by throwing tools around.
Sounds like they're taking this very, very seriously- as indeed they should!

I wish everyone would do as you've done, especially with regards to reporting incidents like this to Safercar.gov. I fear too many folks tend to dismiss such things as anomalies (or user caused); but unless such incidents are reported/recorded we may never know for sure unless/until a real tragedy occurs.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update OP, I believe we're all ears on this thread.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Gooselover
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for educating and sharing with all us RV owners! As a proud new owner of a 2013 Keystone Cougar 327RES, this post made me sit up and pay attention for sure!

DH and I are planning our FIRST MAJOR trip here in a few days - towing out from Oklahoma to Colorado. While we have used our RV since we brought it home (around first of March), we have it set up at Grand Lake where we had our Carri-Lite, thus the first "trip".

We will certainly have our eyes and ears open for anything, but so far so good!
Charlie & Jeri
2013 Keystone Cougar 327RES
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 EC

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
bigcitypopo wrote:
rmcspeterson wrote:
As for the ongoing saga: Keystone flew a representative out from the factory in Indiana. Lippert, manufacturer of the circuit board, also sent out a representative. They had not seen anything like it and spent 4 hours going over it. The Lippert representative took the circuit board back so their company could do microscopic analysis. Contrary to one of the posters, it wasn't caused by throwing tools around.

Outstanding... That is a good sign.... Keep us posted

X2. Just picked up our 5er at our dealer-the largest one in Illinois. They were "surprised" to hear of that problem, but later I saw extra wire-ties holding a main loom for that control panel up against the motor. Not sure if that is related to the problem here-just saying.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
rmcspeterson wrote:

Outstanding... That is a good sign.... Keep us posted
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What is the function of the circuit board? Does it have a part number etc.?

rmcspeterson
Explorer
Explorer