cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-350 and cocrete

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 F-350 SRW longbed and a 37' fifth wheel and on concrete interstate highways the ride is terrible. Does anyone else have this problem and what have you done to alleviate it. The ride is great anywhere else.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...
29 REPLIES 29

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
djwest21@aol.com wrote:
Most High end fivers come with shocks on them which really they all should for safety. Shocks will make a real big difference. Rolling across country we hit some really bad roads but I could see the fiver in the mirror bouncing a bit but we never felt much in the truck.Also once we arrived we found all was well in the inside of the fiver.

Dexter EZ Flex with Quad Shocks really help a lot for those of you contemplating a new Fiver.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

djwest21
Explorer
Explorer
Most High end fivers come with shocks on them which really they all should for safety. Shocks will make a real big difference. Rolling across country we hit some really bad roads but I could see the fiver in the mirror bouncing a bit but we never felt much in the truck.Also once we arrived we found all was well in the inside of the fiver.
God Bless West

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Part of the situation is that you have 65 lbs of air pressure in the rears and 80 in the fronts."

Run 35psi unloaded rear duals, and only enough air in them to carry the hitched load. 65psi is what I run in my rear tires but I have 9,750# sitting on my 4 rear tires. Bilstien 4600's do help.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 2013 version. Part of the situation is that you have 65 lbs of air pressure in the rears and 80 in the fronts. And it's sprung to allow for huge pin weights. Decreasing the air pressure in the rears when not towing and good shocks can help. But no matter what you do, it's an F350, not an F150

aviator41
Explorer
Explorer
I actually have this problem with an unloaded 2016 F350 DRW crew cab long bed 4X4. with the 5er hooked up, the problem goes away. without it, there are certains sections of the local highways what will flat rattle your teeth out. I'd love to find a solution. I don't need sedan-type ride, but I'd prefer to spend my money on the RV instead of at the dentist. that's all I ask.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
gitane59 wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
My heavy metal to metal slamming was mostly eliminated by replacing the OEM pin box with a 5th Airborne hitch. I think any pin box with an air bladder and a shock absorber will help.
But I also think some wheelbase and highway combinations will produce bouncing.

My metal to metal slamming was eliminated by install Firestone Airbag on my F350 Dually and get the truck just slightly higher so that the overloads springs did not contact the frame bracket on impact. Bilstein 4600 shock also made slight improvement later to the ride however it is still teeth rattling on some damaged concrete freeways such as old parts of the I69 in Michigan.
I am ever so happy to see Toledo and the Ohio border when going south and dread leaving Ohio going north because of the concrete Michigan roads.

Especially US 23 south of Dundee. The right lane (especially) is like riding a bucking bronco...after that section, my truck and trailer are fine. We allow 80 ton gravel trains on our roads and it tears them apart.

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
TxGearhead wrote:
My heavy metal to metal slamming was mostly eliminated by replacing the OEM pin box with a 5th Airborne hitch. I think any pin box with an air bladder and a shock absorber will help.

My metal to metal slamming was eliminated by install Firestone Airbag on my F350 Dually and get the truck just slightly higher so that the overloads springs did not contact the frame bracket on impact. Bilstein 4600 shock also made slight improvement later to the ride however it is still teeth rattling on some damaged concrete freeways such as old parts of the I69 in Michigan.
I am ever so happy to see Toledo and the Ohio border when going south and dread leaving Ohio going north because of the concrete Michigan roads.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

Willcamp4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a had Air Lift air bags on my truck with an on-board compressor. When I have a change in road surface I can adjust to change the ride. Nothing will make it ride like a Cadillac, but without the air bags inflated the suspension will bump on the overloads, but this seems to help avoid it. I don't know what the tongue weight is on your individual rig, but mine is around 2700 lbs and I am driving a short bed crew cab, but I can usually get a good ride.
Willcamp4
2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Crew Cab, Lariat, 6.7L PSTD, Air Lift rear suspension.
Alpenlite Valhalla Limited Fifth Wheel, two Solar panels, four six-volt batteries, two Honda EU2000i generators

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have Bilstein 5200 shocks on my truck, have a Hensley BD3 air hitch and a MoRryde rubber encapsulated hitch pin. Seems to work great.

The hitch pin gets rid of most of the back and forth chucking. The air hitch cushions all the up and down stuff - the truck and fiver can move up and down somewhat independently without affecting each other. The shocks are just plain good.

I full time and having stated all that, I have run into some situations where all I can do is slow down.

onemooretime
Explorer
Explorer
Put the truck suspension under more load by adding ballast. I leave water in the tanks.

I also do this when facing windy conditions.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
TxGearhead wrote:
Like I said in a previous post I did the same as you but went with Centerpoint air suspension on the 5er along with air pin box. I put Bilstein shocks on the truck as well.

Expansion joints in the concrete still create an harmonic resonance in truck. Solo if you hit the right speed it can be like riding a bronco while cars next to you have a smooth ride.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Learjet wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Learjet wrote:
you guys are not saying whether or not we are talking about a CC long bed....I thought the CCLB was suppose to have the best ride of all the combos.

A long bed with SuperCab (Ford) has almost the same wheel base as a CCSB....so we really should be talking wheel base to compare?
If you read the OP info it says 4 door long bed.

Missed that in his profile, thanks for point that out to me. But, beyond that it got fuzz. Fair enough?
Sorry if it came off sounding rude was not meant that way.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Bilstein 4600 was a nice upgrade for us.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!