cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Feed back wanted on the "Real" Top Brands

Expediter
Explorer
Explorer
Im a total newbie looking first RV, a 5th wheel, and asking for some guidance. Ive been told that Jayco, Heartland are some of the better manufactures however looking for input. It seems that every maker out there has some horror stories on units leaking bad slide assemblies etc.

Any advise as to the "Real" Top brands?
39 REPLIES 39

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
There are really only two large companies. Thor and Forest River. They make up about 75% of all the TT/5vers sold. I would expect similar quality from all the "brands" sold by these two companies. Possible exception would be Airstream (Thor) as they are much higher priced and a unique design.
Of the remainder, there is Lance, Outdoor RV(Timber Ridge, Blackstone, etc), Northwoods(Arctic Fox), IMO these three are a cut above in both price and quality. I think Keystone and Heartland are still independent as well.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

Expediter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks great input !!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Someones top brand is someones worst nightmare. With that being said they're some brands that seem to have less trouble. Northwood MFG and Outdoor RV don't seem to have the 'Nightmare' issues that some do. OTOH you can find owners that own less costly brands and have zero troubles. My opinion is to search out the floor plan you like, then find brands with that floor plan and then start investigating how those brands are built, ie; how thick the frame is, what suspension is used, how much cargo weight it can carry, etc.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think there is such a thing as a "top brand." What you do have are models that are more "popular" than others. And of course, the more built and sold, the higher the odds someone will complain about something in the workmanship.

The best you can do is educate yourself on RV construction, manufacturing, learn about frame, and all the various appliances installed in RV's these days.

Watch lots of YouTube videos, read extensively on forum web sites, and then take that pool of knowledge and begin visiting different RV dealerships and start evaluating the various brands you are considering.

If you REALLY want to see the track history of a specific RV make and model, look at the used units. You will be able to compare with the new units and figure out for yourself what has endured the test of time, and what has failed.

If you want to go one step further, rent an RV for a trip or two and gain first had experience how they really work. This will also help you understand why they are made and designed the way they are, why manufacturers cut corners in some places, and maybe help you identify where something is not right.

Then go visit a few campgrounds and talk to the various campers what they like and don't like about their current camper. You will get a variety of answers on the exact same unit, as everyone's personal likes and dislikes are all different.

There really are no "top brands". There are some brands that have "way over the top" prices! But that does not make them a "top brands" especially if you are looking for some baseline for "quality". That just makes them an overpriced toy.

No one want's to waste their money when they purchase anything. And everyone wants the lowest price that will return the highest price resale later. RV's just don't work that way. First you purchase an RV not for investment purposes, but strictly for you own enjoyment. You have to ask yourself, how much am I willing to pay for pleasure! Second, RV's will break down, even the very best of them. Paint fades, propane tanks age, tires wear, wires will age and crack in time, electronics age out and technology constantly changes. My camper is a 2013 model, and it's already, technologically wise, ... ancient! Expect a loss in your finances. The thing that keeps all of us so dedicated to the RV lifestyle is not the cost factor. If it was determined on cost, none of us would ever do it. RV manufacturers and campgrounds would close up! We do it for the pleasure and enjoyment, and no amount of money is too much when it comes to our own personal needs for self-gratification!

Whatever make, model, and brand you ultimately select, you will find yourself forever investing money into it, and forever making changes, and forever doing repairs, fixes, and preventative maintenance. But, those of us who are engaged in this lifestyle.... the cost, the maintenance, the fixes are all part of the "pleasure" too. It's highly rewarding and satisfying when you have a problem with your camper (great or small), and you are able to figure it out yourself and fix it yourself. It truly is a life---style! And the longer you do it, the more it all becomes, simply,... part of your own soul.... who you are, and who you will continue to becomes.

Top brand? The one you finally own will be your "top brand."

Read, study, educate yourself, and look at lots and lots of RV's. When you purchase, you'll know what you are looking for.

Good luck!

Expediter
Explorer
Explorer
Good point thanks for the reply!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Because I'm cheap and a handyman we buy mid level RVs. Our first was a Nomad Travel Trailer that we used at least once per month and two cross country trips during the 16 years we had it. The only failure was one of the dinette booths came apart after 10 years of use. It was an easy fix and held well for the 6 years we kept the TT.

Our current 5th wheel is an Alfa See-Ya (Alfa went out of business a few year ago). It is 22 years old and also has been used at least once per month plus a cross country trip and for the past 5 years we have lived in it for 3 months each summer. It has only what I consider wear and tear issues.

Like Donn 128 posted routine maintenance is the key to RV longevity.

One thing to keep in mind as you read through RV forums- you are only seeing posts from a very small portion of the RV public. Most folks with RVs don't post or read the RV forums. If an RV'er has a problem or complaint they may post on an RV forum. If they are happy with their RV there's little reason to read or post on RV forums. Unless you are like me and just like to see what folks are posting and offer assistance once in awhile.

Expediter
Explorer
Explorer
Ford F350 Dually would e my go to. We have a ranch and haul stock trails all the time so trucks ar not an issue. My knowlege is very limited on the best built RV. Im trying to stay with brands that have the best reputation for solid frame, good seal tight construction, etc. Also any issues with slide outs cable vs hydraulic?

The TOP for you depend on how much you can tow ( payload ), and how much you want to spend..

Answer those 2 questions, and go from there..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Expediter
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, maybe top is the wrong word but Im trying to avoid a big mistake with a cheap brand. Ive heard of Forest River Ill check that out.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Top is in the eye of the beholder. All will require constand routine maintenance to keep them road worthy.
IMHO Forest River Cedar Creek is hard to beat. Mine is 12 years old, and has never been in the shop for a warranty related issue. I can count on my hands what I have to replace or repair in that 12 years.