cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fiberglass Repair

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
Crap,Just went to the storage pole barn at our local golf course & the care taker of the golf course told me that a worker backed into my fifth wheel & damage the bottom of the front cap near the corner.Not a hole but there a 2'' x 2'' of fiberglass missing,They said they would pay for it & have someone come out there to repair it,I do know I want to have input of you they get,Any ideas what else I should do?I want a good job but don't know who you to contact.Afraid they will do just a quick fix,I think it happened in November some time & they just tell me now.It's a 2010 CrossRoads Cruiser,Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The description of the damage got me thinking of how I would repair it. I'd start with a resin soaked patch on the inside to use as a foundation to build back to the original level. It would take at least a few times with first a thicker cloth then thin, finally the fillers.

Nice thing about working with fiberglass is that you can grind & sand away your mistakes & go again.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
yep boat repair services do it all the time but one concern is that in a boat you are usually talking about solid thick fiberglass. will they be working on that or on filon etc. on a backing?
bumpy

You do know the hull on most normal size fiberglass boats is only about 1/4" thick. the Gel coat is around 1/16"
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fiberglass is not difficult to work with but it is time consuming. RV panels are very thin compared to boat hulls & cabins making a foundation to build the repair on that much more difficult.

Fiberglass resin, fillers & cloth is not cheap either so be prepared.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
yep boat repair services do it all the time but one concern is that in a boat you are usually talking about solid thick fiberglass. will they be working on that or on filon etc. on a backing?
bumpy

Gonecamping444
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks we do have a few in the area

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if there are any near you but many people have used Boat repair services for fiberglass repairs.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that the seam is not compromised. The glass is no big deal. Anyone can fix that stuff but the seam is most important. If you need a repair guy to fix the glass look up your nearest boat shop. They should have folks that are very good with that stuff.