cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel Clearance

NewLeaseOnLife
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up my new 346qbud...but I have some clearance issues. I have approx 5 1/2" clearance from the top of my bed rails but my tonneau cover frame takes up 2" so I realistically have 3 1/2". While backing into my driveway I sheared of the bulkhead door latch :S

What is my best option? Raise the hitch to the top position which is approx an additional 2" or drop the kingpin to its lowest position which will add around 1"?

I am already slightly nose high so I'm trying to get the most clearance without my new 5'er pointing to the moon.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
19 REPLIES 19

GregK
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the cover with a low profile model is the best (easiest and cheapest) way to fix it. My Access rollup cover has 7/8" rails.
2010 Jayco Eagle 351RLSA on a seasonal site.

carpetguy2
Explorer
Explorer
I have lifted truck "7 and hauling a sandpiper 345ret 39ft.
And I have 8" clearance.
Have the Reese Pro 15k hitch.
2007.5 chevy 3500 ltz CC LB Duramax
2016 Open range 3x378
Some other toys too

mrwacky
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, you need at least 6 inches clearance, remember, you will not always be on the flat and level while traveling.
2005 Montana Big Sky 3670RL
DWIGHT AND BETSY LILLY
In loving memory SIX FERRETS--FUZZY, SILLY, PUMPKY, BABY, RANDY & RUDY (deceased)

Boo Boo, Yogi, and Sadie our two poms and Papillion rebels

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
NewLeaseOnLife wrote:
Just picked up my new 346qbud...but I have some clearance issues. I have approx 5 1/2" clearance from the top of my bed rails but my tonneau cover frame takes up 2" so I realistically have 3 1/2". While backing into my driveway I sheared of the bulkhead door latch :S

What is my best option? Raise the hitch to the top position which is approx an additional 2" or drop the kingpin to its lowest position which will add around 1"?

I am already slightly nose high so I'm trying to get the most clearance without my new 5'er pointing to the moon.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Take a look at your spring shackles and see if you have any room to raise the trailer, then adjust the hitch and pin box. If not, with clearance that tight, you can realistically only raise the entire trailer. Best way to do so is to have a sub-frame built over the axles and have the hangers welded to that. Rule-of-thumb is a minimum of 6" clearance between truck bed and FW.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

treaves
Explorer
Explorer
Um... remove the tonneau cover?

Reminds me of the old joke: "A man says:Doctor, it hurts when I do 'this'. Doctor responds: don't do that."