cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel dolly?

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone make a power, castering dolly similar to those sold for trailers that can be used on fifths? The better half is house hunting, and while we've seen some interesting properties, only a few have potential for parking the fifth next to the house - but then the angles, etc. to get it in place preclude using the truck without major lawn damage every time it goes in/out. Would not consider a place with any kind of a slope, but it would open options if there was a way to turn it 90 degrees or so, and then back it up 1- 1&1/2 lengths.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
16 REPLIES 16

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Flapper, find the house you want, that has room for your FW. If it has a ready-made hard pad, great. If not, pour one. Lots of options out there, from self-contained tugs, plug-in tugs or a simple dolly that you can maneuver with a lawn/small tractor, bobcat, quad or side-by-side.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer

"Yard Dolly or Trailer Mover?" - 2013

See post & pic by "pbar34" (note the surface) and opinion by "57 Panhead".

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
bpounds wrote:
Dtank wrote:

BTW - the idea about adding a ball under the 5th is rediculous..:R

😉

Might be that you lack imagination. That is a better point to lift from, than a pin 4' off the ground.

A trailer ball would not be the way to do it however.

The "lifting" is *not* the problem...:R

Moving it around when lifted *IS* the problem.

*If* you have a paved surface (not grass), that's level and flat
(no curbs to "ramp up") there are several options (like Power Caster) that work well - all of which use the pin.

Soooooo if somebody knows of one, I'll join the OP and put it to use.

"bpounds" - the pic is great..:C

However, it appears to be on a: - paved, level surface.

With front stabilizers almost touching the surface - why?..:@

Will the "mover" pictured move the trailer over grass?..:@

Up a slight incline - like up/over a "ramped curb"?..:@

And (the stabilizers?) - going down the same incline?..:h

As previously posted, a top-of-the line Power Caster rated a "no" to those questions on a much smaller TT. Been there done (tried) that....which is why the neighbor has it now.

The guy I bought it from had pics just like yours, moving his trailer next to his home in Bishop, CA - on a flat, concrete surface.

Is the pictured item manufactured - or a DIY?..:h

RE-check the (my) bottom line.....
"If somebody knows of one, I'll join the OP and put it to use".
Caveat: at a reasonable price, LOL!
The Power Caster PC-3 that I bought "way back when" for $300. is now $1425.

Soooooo - who makes it? -
Mfgr? - Rube or?..:@
Kinda looks like a DJ - see next

BTW - several models available from this company.
D J Products
Although they claim their movers will work on snow, grass, ice - none of their promo videos show that.

Oh yeah, and - Yikes!...$10K & $13K for 5th wheel movers!.:R

Makes a used fork lift look pretty good!..;)

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Dtank wrote:

Looking at ALL the suggestions - AND manufactured products......
no device has been posted yet that lifts under the front of a 5th (not the pin), and moves it around *without* a tow vehicle.

Guess you missed this one.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Dtank wrote:

😉

Might be that you lack imagination. That is a better point to lift from, than a pin 4' off the ground.

The "lifting" is *not* the problem...:R

Moving it around when lifted *IS* the problem.

*If* you have a paved surface (not grass), that's level and flat
(no curbs to "ramp up") there are several options (like Power Caster) that work well - all of which use the pin.

Soooooo if somebody knows of one, I'll join the OP and put it to use.

23mikey
Explorer
Explorer
Picked this RV-50 Loadmaster up a number of years ago to manuever my 5th wheel into a very tight parking spot alongside our garage/shop. Worked OK once I put down some gravel for added traction.

Was able to then park 5th wheel in company hangar. Excellent on concrete floor. Now retired, new house, new BIGGER 5th wheel, more room to park but so much easier to place right where I want it using the RV tug. Added benefit is tucking my utility trailer alongside the 5'ver without straining my back. It has ball as well as 5th wheel capabilities.

4 years ago I tried to sell for $2500 on Craigslist. No takers. Today it's (almost) worth it's weight in gold! (To me)

Look for the RV series of Loadmasters manufactured by Fab Shop in McPherson,KS. Unfortunately they are no longer in business, but you might find one on craiglist or eBay.

2018 F350 DRW Lariat PSD
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320GK 1200w Solar, 400aH Battleborn, 3kw Magnum Hybrid Inverter/charger, Disc brakes, Sailun G rated tires

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
You need a farm! 🙂
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
This being Minnesota, a LOT of places have a parking pad along the side of the house or driveway for a boat. I have seen several where the parking is at a right angle to the drive.
For some of the places we have looked at, the space is big enough to park a 5th. The problem would be in maneuvering both the 5th and the TV around to get into the spot. Several of my current neighbors have smaller dollies for their boats to address the issue. So something like the links provided (thank you!) might just fit the bill.
While expensive, it would be cheaper than buying more acreage with suitable access.
So in future shopping that opens up options....now I just have to find a place that accommodates both the 5th AND the boat!
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
Dtank wrote:

I agree with that!
Carl S
US Army Retired

'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Dtank wrote:

2006 F250 Diesel

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another option. Link is to a review of the Automated Safety Hitch.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer

Power Caster = NO !

Had one - an accidental good deal. Owner used it to move his 30' TT
on a flat concrete pad. It was the top-of-the line, dual wheel model.

Tried it with the 20' TT I had then.
Flat, level *paved* surface = great.
Anything else - worthless.

Sold it to my neighbor who uses it to move his utility trlr with ATVs
on board from his rear storage to his "hitch-up" area.
Entire area is flat, concrete. For his use - works great.

Yes - they do make a 5th wheel adapter - and there is at least one other mfgr.

*If* your "movement", maneuvering area - is paved, level, flat = may do what you want.

Otherwise you need a *large wheel* fork lift.
Level, flat, paved - small wheel fork lift would work OK.

When (if) looking for a used fork lift - keep in mind most affordable ones have probably seen *hard* use. They've being sold or traded-in for a good reason...;)

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
You would need a forklift with wide pneumatic tires for going across the lawn such as used on farms A Bobcat would work well. I would like to have one of those myself. I have room to park my FW; but I don't have maneuvering room to get it in and out.
Carl S
US Army Retired

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Quick Google search found these:

http://www.powerdolly.co/products/fifth-wheel-dollies

http://parkit360.ca/shop/5th-Wheel-Power-Dolly-Transformer-Parkit360

http://www.powercaster.com/index.html

If it were me, I would rig up a ball under the forward end of the frame, and lift it there. Instead of trying to do it with the pin. And that opens up the powered dolly options, not limiting you to fifth wheel designs. That second link above works that way.

A forklift would be a really good way to go, if you have the space for that.
2006 F250 Diesel