cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel hitch purchase

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. Looking at purchasing a fifth wheel trailer my question is what is an average height of the fifth wheel hitch? I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Crew cab 4x4 diesel standard box and the trailer looking at buying is Sierra 384QBOK. I have seen sliders that slide 10 to 11 inches and height adjustments 14 to 17 and 15 to 18 inches. My truck is stock ride height. Looking at Reese but want to make sure I get and install the right one. Thanks in advance.
42 REPLIES 42

WeBRVing
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP. I have a 16k Pullrite Superglide. No issues. I'm not claiming it's the "best", but I would recommend it. It is heavy though.
Ram 2500 4x4 CTD
Cedar Creek 31RK

Kent999
Explorer
Explorer
So the problem is that the trucks, in general, are really high these days. To me 6 inches is the minimum, of course, more is better, but pretty hard to achieve, and still get somewhat level with these Ram trucks. I ride a little nose high, not a problem with me. Pin box is as high as it can go, and fifth wheel hitch is as low as I can go, and still maintain adequate clearance.I have the pullrite super glide 12k hitch now https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-5th-wheel-hitch/

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wood chip wrote:

I love the 1” locking jaws that I can trust and verify visually that they are engaged.

Oh my are you suggesting a visual test is sufficient with a B&W??? 😉
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was serious about the bags and 19.5's as plenty of people do this with safety and secess. Yes it will tow just fine.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12v98 all I did was sign up for some advice from seasoned rvers you on the other hand just came out with attitude and sarcasm in your first post. Actually I took the very first post more informative than yours when the gentleman stated I must look at other things than hitches meaning the truck was not meant for that travel trailer. Might actually just of posted "Hey Robertw277 that truck has the power but not the weight capacity for that tt. Might want to look at something smaller to be safe". But nooooo "get 19.5's and bags. It will tow just fine!!!" Open to advise, ideas and such whether it what I want to hear, need to hear or don't want to hear.

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer

I love the 1” locking jaws that I can trust and verify visually that they are engaged.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yea would not want to answer a simple question about your own statement. Someone may learn something.

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Shadows4 for the info. Wasn't going to.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Robertw277 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. As one previously stated 19.5's why not just go to a load rating f on the tires instead of spending 5000 dollars on rims plus tires?

Can you get "F" tires in stock size? How about wheel rating?

Robertw277, don't go there.....let it be.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Robertw277 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. As one previously stated 19.5's why not just go to a load rating f on the tires instead of spending 5000 dollars on rims plus tires?

Can you get "F" tires in stock size? How about wheel rating?

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck Steed when on vacation or a weekend getaway there are no hurries we get there when we get there. Thanks for your input.

Robertw277
Explorer
Explorer

ChuckSteed
Explorer
Explorer
I’d imagine any of the more popular fifth wheel hitches would be fine for you application regard8ng height and bed clearance.. and with a short bed truck I’d get a slider hitch just t9 be safe..

I drive a 2007 GMC duramax diesel club cab 4x4 short bed.. I purchased and Alpine 36 footer with advertised pin weight of 11650... I looked at the other 3 models of the Alpine on the lot and they were all 40 feet or more with pin weight advertised around 2560 and up..

Really wanted the longer fifth wheel but we got the 36 foot with 3 slides and it works with my short bed just fine. I purchased the Husky 16K slider hitch even though dealer service dept said I wouldn’t really need it.. S9 far they were right. The front nose cap radius on our Alpine is such that I’ve yet to need the slider.. it it’s their..

Wit( the length of the fifth wheel you are looking at you’d surely want to consider long bed and most likely a dually.. that much fifth wheel beh8nd a short bed truck might not be to pleasant.. especially on a 8% downgrade..

Now will your duramax pulll that 40 footer? Sure.. but.....

And some would say with my 36 footer loaded I’m over max payload. Might be.. four seasons of towing across Big Horns, SD, NV, OR, ID, WY, MT, etc and I’ve not experienced any issues..

I also two at 62 mph max and take my time...

Good luck with your hitch choice and new fifth wheel choice.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
As a retired carpenter the look of the Anderson hitch in my way of thinking is this.

Like a 2x4 was used instead of a 2x6 for strength. Of course I could be incorrect.

chevman

Same trade here. I feel the same. We as Carpenters had to design things in our career to withstand the elements and loads. The size of materials are not what I would have chosen.

As a side note I am NOT a Structural Engineer but will say that every design I proposed to an Engineer was stamped for approval.

My guess is because it was over built not under built.chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110