cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth Wheel Ladder Replacement

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Well tomorrow I am gonna be on the phone with Tweety's and etrailer to start with on the subject.

i trashed my ladder and need a replacement. Prob/challenge is to get a ladder that has the stand offs with a round base. i want to cover the same holes/places in the back of the camper. The diagrams that i am looking at seen to have a rectangular stand off anchor and or i cannot tell by reviewing the add.

Anyone done this and can steer me to the right replacement?

thanx
11 REPLIES 11

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave H M wrote:
Thanks for the info folks.

gitane, you just saved me a bundle if I have to get the round bases and do some fabricating.

Your welcome. Glad to help. Cheers my friend.
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info folks.

gitane, you just saved me a bundle if I have to get the round bases and do some fabricating.

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
great idea my ladder has a big bend in it from going up and down. My be the weight factor lol also

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
azrving wrote:

After repairing it I made angle iron supports and it's very solid.

I love this!!!!

The standard ladder seems so flimsy.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
To the OP
I replaced all the mounting pads with these large 2-7/8 inch round diecast mounting pads from Factory RV Surplus.
The small rectangular mounting pads of OEM ladders would not even support my 180lb weight and were allowing the ladder to flex causing it to coming loose.

Factory RV Surplus Monster RV Ladder Mounting Pad
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I would contact the manufacturer of your trailer and get the OEM part # then get an exact match.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dave H M wrote:
:S Mine is totally busted.

Jerry do you recall the Stromberg model that had the round stand off bases?

Sorry Dave, I tried looking it up again, but couldn't find it. My incident was back in 2014, but the round brackets for standoffs should still be available. On appraisal papers from dealer, ladder was $125, and shipping was $100.

Jerry

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I repaired my Stromberg. The special fastener nuts were rusted out and loose. They were available but the shipping was ridiculous so I bought bicycle stem style and messed around re threading.

Stromberg

More

E Trailer

Get out your wallet

After repairing it I made angle iron supports and it's very solid.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
:S Mine is totally busted.

Jerry do you recall the Stromberg model that had the round stand off bases?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was able to find an exact replacement from Stromberg Carlson Products. Mine also has the round standoff base. As it turned out, I found it to be easier to straighten my ladder than to replace it. How bad is yours damaged? If not kinked, straightening may be an option. I removed the rung screws, and moved all rungs out of the way. I straightened it, still attached. I replaced the bent standoff screws, tightened standoffs up, all was good as new.

Jerry

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
They say that you need to get the attachment location from the Mfg, but since you replacing one already installed you have an idea where the points are. They add extra supports inside the wall to attach a ladder, and you need to hit them.