cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth wheel to Gooseneck ????

wmiller2502
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any problems with this setup? I just bought the gooseneck adapter and planning on installing it in the next day or so. I have a nice heavy square adapter that mounts directly to the fifth wheel pin. I am going to weld the corners to ensure no twisting and turning. I have a 34ft montana Mountaineer. Thanks for the info
2009 Montana Mountaineer 34DBQ
47 REPLIES 47

ranchertx
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ranchertx wrote:
Anderson is NOT a Gooseneck adapter. That is where the confusion began. Lippert has no idea about the part number you gave them.

Contact Anderson Mfg, they will ease your mind.

They will not however give you a definitive answer on the safety chain question, and start saying well, if and depends. It is in fact a ball and coupler, and in many states will require safety chains. Which they now have as an option. Other than location it is no different than any other gooseneck hitch. It will still require the extra lifting and lower of the trailer to hitch and unhitch.

Someone ask them for a printed list of states that do not require safety chains with their hitch and see what they say. My guess is they will decline to provide that list.

Chris

Have you contacted Anderson? I am pretty sure they state on their site that safety chains are not required.

In Texas they are not, that is where I am.

And for any people here worried about the Anderson Hitch and safety, google it. I ciuld not find a single case of failure or of it coming unhitched. Hard to hide these things in todays world of information.

dbear
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
ranchertx wrote:
Anderson is NOT a Gooseneck adapter. That is where the confusion began. Lippert has no idea about the part number you gave them.

They will not however give you a definitive answer on the safety chain question, and start saying well, if and depends. It is in fact a ball and coupler, and in many states will require safety chains. Which they now have as an option. Other than location it is no different than any other gooseneck hitch. It will still require the extra lifting and lower of the trailer to hitch and unhitch.

Someone ask them for a printed list of states that do not require safety chains with their hitch and see what they say. My guess is they will decline to provide that list.

Chris

And safety chains or not matters how when it comes to comparing possible additional stresses caused by GN adapters? Isn't that a purely subjective argument against using one, and as such, irrelevant to any discussion concerning frame stresses? As the Ultimate pulls from the same connection point as a kingpin, it certainly is not a traditional GN adapter and consequently, could be argued to not be one.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ranchertx wrote:

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
cpet wrote:
Good Luck to You, It did not work for me. I bought another truck that had a gooseneck in it so I bought the adapter, one trip and I spent the money to get the rails installed. I saw a whole lot of front to back bucking and a whole lot of flexing in the front of the trailer PLUS I found that it was a royal pain to hook up in comparison to a 5th wheel hitch. If anybody wants an adapter I will gladly sell it cheap.

Is your experience with the Andersen Ultimate hitch or a more common GN extension? More details please (like brand and model number?) to help other forum members.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dayle1 wrote:
DSteiner51 wrote:

3. Do the math. The pivot is limited to protect your fancy truck but then it really stresses the frame. Again, do the math.
You made the claim, no one else. So I figured you already had some math to back up that claim.

OK here is results of some math I did. For a conventional unconstrained GN ball mount, 22 inch bed height, 6 inches of clearance between truck and fiver and an 80 inch wide bed. Angular difference between truck and fiver can be a max. of 8.2 degrees before contact. As I recall, side pivot fifth wheel hitches are limited to 5-6 degrees, just enough to protect both vehicles from damage. It would take a lot more work to determine, but I believe truck and trailer suspensions will provide several more degrees of tilt with minimal stress on either frame. So, the same real world capability w/o the possibility of damage.

Interesting side note, my gut judgement was that the Andersen Ultimate with it's raised ball mount would provide more angular tilt. Not so, it calculates to the same 8.2 degrees.

But regardless, anyone needed more than 6-8 degrees needs a flat bed truck to utilize the greater side movement of a ball mount.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

cpet
Explorer
Explorer
Good Luck to You, It did not work for me. I bought another truck that had a gooseneck in it so I bought the adapter, one trip and I spent the money to get the rails installed. I saw a whole lot of front to back bucking and a whole lot of flexing in the front of the trailer PLUS I found that it was a royal pain to hook up in comparison to a 5th wheel hitch. If anybody wants an adapter I will gladly sell it cheap.
Chuck and Michelle and Otto Diogie
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
2004 Cougar 285EFS

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
ranchertx wrote:

Well, im ordering that ultimate hitch..
Looks like it would put the least amount of stress on the attachment point.

amazon has them for $449. woot.

ranchertx
Explorer
Explorer

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
To answer the O P question I have used two goose neck adapters on two different trailers. We pulled them a lot of miles with no problems at all with the frame.

I also know that almost ever time I pull into an R V park in TX. I will see a trailer with a gooseneck adapter.

I have seen a couple of trailers pulled with a 5th wheel hitch with frame damage so I don't know if one is better than the other.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
dbear wrote:
Lyrikz wrote:
dbear wrote:
Lyrikz wrote:
Look fella, i spoke with them on the phone myself. I gave them part numbers to different attachments.

That was his EXACT FREAKING WORDS!!!!. EXACT. If it wasnt that Reese gooseneck box, ANY OTHER GOOSENECK ADAPTER WILL IMMEDIATELY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
So, call them yourself.

i dont know why. I tried to contact anderson to get that information because i really like that system.
Get me some of that documentation from anderson that says that from lippert so i can contact the lippert rep again and ask more questions.

Did you specify the Anderson Ultimate hitch? My experience has been that RV and frame manufacturers stop listening if you use the words "gooseneck adapter." You have to take their little hands and lead them to address the actual unit(s) in question.

I gave them the part number....

But are they familiar with that part number, or do they even have any idea what the Ultimate looks like, let alone how it works? During some recent correspondence I had with KZ, I lost track of the number of times I had to repeat "I'm specifically asking about the Reese Goose Box that Lippert has approved for use with #1621 and #1716 wing sets. So in other words, what wing set is used on your trailer?". I gave them links and encouraged them to do some research instead of immediately giving the default answer. Once they did, they had to agree that the Goose Box is acceptable.

Icant answer if they were familiar. He pulled it up on his computer and we were talking, going over the hitch and he said that it would void the warranty.
But, i have a feeling that if i talk to 3 different people, i would get different answers. thats why i would like that documentation.

dbear
Explorer
Explorer
Lyrikz wrote:
dbear wrote:
Lyrikz wrote:
Look fella, i spoke with them on the phone myself. I gave them part numbers to different attachments.

That was his EXACT FREAKING WORDS!!!!. EXACT. If it wasnt that Reese gooseneck box, ANY OTHER GOOSENECK ADAPTER WILL IMMEDIATELY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.
So, call them yourself.

i dont know why. I tried to contact anderson to get that information because i really like that system.
Get me some of that documentation from anderson that says that from lippert so i can contact the lippert rep again and ask more questions.

Did you specify the Anderson Ultimate hitch? My experience has been that RV and frame manufacturers stop listening if you use the words "gooseneck adapter." You have to take their little hands and lead them to address the actual unit(s) in question.

But are they familiar with that part number, or do they even have any idea what the Ultimate looks like, let alone how it works? During some recent correspondence I had with KZ, I lost track of the number of times I had to repeat "I'm specifically asking about the Reese Goose Box that Lippert has approved for use with #1621 and #1716 wing sets. So in other words, what wing set is used on your trailer?". I gave them links and encouraged them to do some research instead of immediately giving the default answer. Once they did, they had to agree that the Goose Box is acceptable.

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
dbear wrote:
Lyrikz wrote:

So, call them yourself.

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
dbear wrote:
Lyrikz wrote:

So, call them yourself.

I agree about confusion, Andersen calls it the Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch, and Lippert will probable say no problem, it is a fifth wheel hitch, right. But if you call it a GN adaptor, then the answer is no way. If Andersen has some documentation from Lippert saying the Ultimate is OK, then that is big news for anyone needing it and Andersen should make a big deal about it.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

Lyrikz
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Given this much confusion about who said what, it is probably a good idea to avoid the whole thing and just use the hitch your trailer was designed for.

Well, there isnt confusion on my part. The manufacturer of my frame told me verbally
what i could not use.

Hearing that someone at anderson has documentation that you can use their ultimate 5th wheel hitch, i want in....