cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First trip with Andersen Ultimate Hitch

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Just completed our first trip with the new Andersen Ultimate FW hitch. 1580 miles and I must say I am really pleased with the hitch's performance. No chucking or bucking. Easy loading and unloading too. I own a Truck camper too so 35 pounds to remove/install was a huge factor.

121 REPLIES 121

dennydecuir
Explorer
Explorer
I've followed every post about Anderson Hitches with interest, as I recently ordered a new FW and am awaiting delivery. In preparation I bought the Anderson Ultimate, and I'm pretty impressed with it. I've installed and removed it several times, and when not in use, it hangs on a hook in my garage!!

As for chains, I drive a Ford Superduty with OEM Pucks in the bed. When installed, the Anderson's base covers the holes to which the safety chains would attach. I have no idea where else to attach safety chains. Any thoughts?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yea, and then there is the need to rebut the rebuttal and then rebut that and it goes on and on. Frankly, neither I nor the members want to read or hear about that stuff over and over.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aw, just a rebuttal to the scurrilous attack on our beloved hitch. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lets not go through this again please!
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
billyray50 wrote:

Ya never know! Just like B&W replaced this companion hitch. Just sayin! LOL
Well, according to B&W, the hitch performed just as designed. It's supposed to separate in that type of rollover. I don't think Andersen will saying their hitch was supposed to do what it did. ๐Ÿ™‚

YUP
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Walaby wrote:
But, it just doesn't give me a comfort level knowing a multi-ton RV is relying on a 35lb (or so) piece of aluminum to keep it connected and in control.

Mike

The combined weight of the lug nuts, studs, axles hangers, u-bolts, fasteners for the pinbox and even the actual kingpin itself (not the pin box) doesn't add up to the 35 pounds combined.

And really, the aluminum wall framing of most rigs isn't half as stout as one AUH.

Good point!

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
But, it just doesn't give me a comfort level knowing a multi-ton RV is relying on a 35lb (or so) piece of aluminum to keep it connected and in control.

Mike

The combined weight of the lug nuts, studs, axles hangers, u-bolts, fasteners for the pinbox and even the actual kingpin itself (not the pin box) doesn't add up to the 35 pounds combined.

And really, the aluminum wall framing of most rigs isn't half as stout as one AUH.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
billyray50 wrote:

Well, according to B&W, the hitch performed just as designed. It's supposed to separate in that type of rollover. I don't think Andersen will saying their hitch was supposed to do what it did. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Again...To each his own.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
I'm sure I'll be flamed for this but the Andersen just doesn't LOOK stout enough to me for a 12-15K (or heavier) 5er.

Im sure it works otherwise we'd here thousands of horror stories, and they would be out of business. But, it just doesn't give me a comfort level knowing a multi-ton RV is relying on a 35lb (or so) piece of aluminum to keep it connected and in control.

Mike

I agree Mike I mean look at that crazy bridge the Golden Gate... No way that thing is going to stay up there. Why its put together with nothing but some piano wire.. No way just like that Anderson Hitch No way.. LOL

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Learjet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I guarantee you a non disclosure statement is part of the settlement with Andersen.

Why do you think there would be a settlement with Andersen? I don't think any hitch is guaranteed to survive a crash?

Ya never know! Just saying if there was a replacement given by Andersen.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Learjet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I guarantee you a non disclosure statement is part of the settlement with Andersen.

Why do you think there would be a settlement with Andersen? I don't think any hitch is guaranteed to survive a crash?

Ya never know! Just saying if there was a replacement given by Andersen.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure I'll be flamed for this but the Andersen just doesn't LOOK stout enough to me for a 12-15K (or heavier) 5er.

Im sure it works otherwise we'd here thousands of horror stories, and they would be out of business. But, it just doesn't give me a comfort level knowing a multi-ton RV is relying on a 35lb (or so) piece of aluminum to keep it connected and in control.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

X2

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion