cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat vs arched roofs

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone explain to me the correlation between stated overall height and headroom in the master?

When I first looked at 5ers, I did a casual walk through at an RV lot. I'm 6'5", so what stood out to me was the varying headroom I experienced among models.

When I got more serious about my search, I looked up the models I had tours of and saw there was a large difference in overall height spec. The ones I had to duck in were all in the mid 12' range, and the ones I was comfortable in were all over 13'.

Fast forward to this year's Hershey show. I mapped all the full height mid bunk models I wanted to look at. And sure enough, when I stepped inside, a lot of them had the same inside master headroom as the mid-rise models I crossed off.

I then saw the full height ones that gave me proper headroom also had arched roofs.

I assume overall height includes the master AC unit, but if they were all within a couple inches of each other, and the arched roofs gave a lot more clearance, are the AC units offset on the arched models?

How else can they all have same exterior spec but vary so greatly in the master?
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum
5 REPLIES 5

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Ceiling fans. I noticed this past spring when we were RV shopping that a number of the very high 5th wheels had ceiling fans.

It may or may not be a factor for you.

We ended up with a TT and there are some significant differences in heights between various make/models. Arched models give some nice breathing room.

With ducted A/C it doesn't take up more than about 1" of headroom.

Bed lengths can be a challenge. Be sure to check they are sufficient and comfortable for you.

Looks like others have covered the external height, but at 6'5" I thought internal heights might be of interest for you, too.

Good luck!

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
There is almost no correlation between manufacturers stated specs and interior dimensions so your doing the only smart thing....walking in and seeing if you fit! Sad, but the truth is that short of a measuring tape I would never trust numbers from a brochure/rv dealer. Normally the height should be to the highest part of roof including an A/C, but if you option a 2nd A/C up front then you may be adding height. Also a maxair cover etc.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

ToddD
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so let me provide some examples:

Heartland Big Country BC 3850 MB is advertised at 13' 3" exterior height, no mention with or without AC. Flat roof. I have no headroom in that model.

Jayco 377RLBH is advertised at 13' 2.5" exterior height, with AC. Arched roof, even at the edges I have more headroom than the BC and about 3" in the center.

There's a limit to how low the master floor can go, I'd presume, given hitch box compatibility and truck bed rail clearance, so the headroom is in the overall height?

Just confused, since this disproved the theory that full height models correlated to more headroom in master...
Todd
2018 Jayco 377RLBH
2019 Ford F-450 Platinum

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only units that I know of that had offset ACs were Award Trailers since they had a seam down the middle. As stated height generally does not include optional ACs, however low profile ACs are frequently used to stay under the 13' - 6" max limit.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

dfletch
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that the height is listed with out the second air. Mine was.
David & Teresa
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37 MBH
2017 Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4X4 Crewcab longbed dully