cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

G rated trailer tires

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
My question is simple. No brand wars. Your opinions on whether "any" G rated 14ply tire is better than any E rated 10ply tire regardless of cost or brand. In other words, would you take the cheapest G rated 16 inch tire over the most expensive E rated 15 inch tire regardless? Rims are a factor but lets just say you have rims that will handle the 100psi and over range for the 16 G rating and the 2800 for the 15 85psi E rating. Load ratings and speed ratings are factors also. I want to build in durability, safety and longevity. Can you have it all? More or less it is a tire upgrade question, suspension aside which is another thread.
28 REPLIES 28

BiggestRon
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Go with the "G" rated tire! Inexpensive G rated tires is an oxymoron:):):) I like Good Year "G" rated 614 tires.

X2

Ron
Ron and Sue

If Wisdom is a virtue of old age then gravity is its vice.

Desist from numerically calculating fowls which have failed to fully realized their proper incubation period.

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
The problem tires are ST tires, not LT(E) tires. You wouldn't believe the difference in my Westlake ST takeoffs vs. the Bridgestone Duravis R250's in total weight, sidewall thickness and tread stiffness. There's no way the Westlakes should have 500 more weight carrying capability.

The NHTSA has ignored millions of poor quality ST tires out on the road with RV's, stock trailers, boat trailers and utility trailers. We're talking about saving lives here.

I've never heard of any complaint about 16" LT/E Bridgestone or Michelin ribbed tires on any RV trailer. Unless your trailer is a very, very heavy unit, the LT/E tires are just fine.

And as far as the budget Sailuns go, I've never heard the first complaint on them. They may be the only good tire from China that's good for heavy RV use. But remember few fifth wheels have wheels rated for the air pressure G rated tires are run at.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK...16 inch black rims are on the menu as well as new tread. I will keep you in the loop. I'm going 14 ply as I feel the durability and safety will pay for itself. Load rating I will gain but that is not what I am shooting for.

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II

Here is a teaser...look what the UPS brought to me...If your really good at what you see in the picture...there are 2 choices. I have done a whole lot of research here and this was the best option for me and this build. I will give you a clue...#'s

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
If no one has caught on yet.. I will explain. I am building a RV from the ground up using all of your expertise to make this a guide for those who can learn and follow. I have acquired a 5th wheel frame that is very decent in its original construction. This in itself was a huge education and a jump from the Truck Camper world that I came from. I have torn off the old and will be rebuilding it my way...or more less your way given the best of knowledge you all can give...we will be on a journey together learning together...share what you know and we will all enjoy this conversation. Tires are a major issue and again I'm trying to make this a fun learning curve. My mistakes will be few given all of the expertise that our forum gives us...everyone is willing to jump in and this is priceless...thank you all again and come spring we will get busy...keep in touch. As far as the weight and load, I know what axles I have, I know what brakes I have, I know what suspension I have...This is where it gets fun when we can start basically from the ground up...

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"G" rated tires are not safer per se, they are safer than tires that are running near, or at, their weight limits. Putting them on a trailer that is well within its weight limits with a good, I repeat a good, LT tire is just a waste of money, and also may make the ride rougher.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
bighog01 wrote:
Sailun G rated tires hands down.

I agree. I have had them on my fiver for almost 2 years and they have been flawless and are wearing like steel. I would buy them again without hesitation.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

04superduty
Explorer
Explorer
have you weighed your trailer to see how much weight in on your trailer axles? That would be a good starting point to determine if G rated tires are a good option. If you only have 2000 lbs on each tire, going to G rated tire will be way overkill and will be pretty rough on your 5er and everything inside going down the road. I did upgrade our rims to 16" and the tires to XPS ribs and have gone 10 years on them with no issues, (yes i know i am on borrowed time and will be replacing them before camping starts this spring).
04 F350 6.0PSD/TS EC SB
07 Outback Sydney edition

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOL...well I"m not hauling construction equipment but for the most part it would make me feel a little more safer having something a little more meaty under the frame. The original question was more joking than where it may have been others take it more literally. Durability and overall construction of a tire is what I'm learning. I don't think they make a crappy G rated tire do they? I have heard so many stories of E "China" tires blowing up it makes one rethink it. These E tires I have are...you guessed it "China" tires. So even at only one year old you can see my concerns here. Did anyone know if the rubber in a G tire is basically the same as an E or is it a harder compound?...I would assume it is the same but who knows?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
KKELLER14K wrote:
I'm pretty convinced that the safety of the G tire itself pays for itself. Regardless of load, I'm not looking forward to having tire failures. Ok flats happen and a TPMS would also be on my wish list. My whole point of this post was to point out that if your going to go to the trouble of an upgrade, what would most of you do? I did some measuring and a slight lift will be necessary to accommodate the larger profile but I already was prepared for suspension upgrades. I am building this RV from the frame up so this is where we start.. where the rubber meets the road.

I understand what you are saying. I have G rated tires. However G is not a quality rating it is a load rating.
While I do agree a little excess margin can be a good thing.
A quality steel carcass G tire is no better than a quality steel carcass E tire assuming they are both being used within their ratings.
If you are convinced G is better why stop there? Why no get the ultimate H rated tires!!!
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm pretty convinced that the safety of the G tire itself pays for itself. Regardless of load, I'm not looking forward to having tire failures. Ok flats happen and a TPMS would also be on my wish list. My whole point of this post was to point out that if your going to go to the trouble of an upgrade, what would most of you do? I did some measuring and a slight lift will be necessary to accommodate the larger profile but I already was prepared for suspension upgrades. I am building this RV from the frame up so this is where we start.. where the rubber meets the road.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
KKELLER14K wrote:
My question is simple. No brand wars. Your opinions on whether "any" G rated 14ply tire is better than any E rated 10ply tire regardless of cost or brand. In other words, would you take the cheapest G rated 16 inch tire over the most expensive E rated 15 inch tire regardless? Rims are a factor but lets just say you have rims that will handle the 100psi and over range for the 16 G rating and the 2800 for the 15 85psi E rating. Load ratings and speed ratings are factors also. I want to build in durability, safety and longevity. Can you have it all? More or less it is a tire upgrade question, suspension aside which is another thread.

That depends on how heavy your 5th wheel. I have 3,000 #s on our 5th wheel. We had blowouts on E rated tires. I now have G rated tires, and they work well. I also have a tire monitor.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
My mistake it is an LT

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I sure wouldn't spend unnecessary amounts of money on unneeded item. "G" rated tires would just be an expense that would serve no purpose other than lightening your wallet. Like buying a Peterbuilt to pull that new popup.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"