cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garage with door to living area

Crh1972
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to toy haulers and looking for some information. I am wanting to buy a toy hauler that has a door from the kitchen area to the garage. Wife doesnt want to smell gas fumes. How do I search for this feature? I am not sure which models offer this. Can anyone tell me the models or how to fi d this when searching?
22 REPLIES 22

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kober wrote:
I haul two bikes in my toyhauler, one for me and one for the wife. When you come back from a days ride and load both bikes you WILL most certainly smell the hot bikes unless you have a door separating the garage from the rest of the unit. There is a reason for those two vents which provide cross ventilation for the garage. A wall and door seperating the garage is a good idea also when you have guests sleeping in the garage or you want the ramp down when one of you wants to enjoy the view and the fresh air while the other one wants to take a quiet nap.
But there's a very big difference between smelling a hot bike just back from a ride and immediately loaded, versus smelling gasoline. Hot bikes just smell like...hot bikes. No gas fumes. We rarely load hot bikes AFATG.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crh1972 wrote:
Wife doesnt want to smell gas fumes
She's assuming she will.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kober
Explorer
Explorer
I haul two bikes in my toyhauler, one for me and one for the wife. When you come back from a days ride and load both bikes you WILL most certainly smell the hot bikes unless you have a door separating the garage from the rest of the unit. There is a reason for those two vents which provide cross ventilation for the garage. A wall and door seperating the garage is a good idea also when you have guests sleeping in the garage or you want the ramp down when one of you wants to enjoy the view and the fresh air while the other one wants to take a quiet nap.
2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner

WillB5
Explorer
Explorer
When I was toy hauler shopping I found rvguide.com to be very helpful. The info there is not 100% accurate but very useful. The nice thing is they have floor plans for most RVs and a relatively complete spec list, which is often faster than going through various manufacturer sites.

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
everyone that has NOT owned a toy hauler says "I don't want to smell gas fumes" and insist that an open floor plan will permit this. Nothing could be further from the truth unless your toys leak gas. Properly maintained toys will not smell. Does your garage smell like gas? Mine doesn't.

Talk to those that have them, it is NOT an issue. Just had a friend that was forced to live in his Raptor for over a month while his wife was in the hospital out of town. He'd taken his Razor with him so lived with it in the garage, no issues, couldn't smell it.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your only criteria for wanting a door is gas fumes, then rethink it. I have the open garage/living area and carry two motorcycles. I have never smelled any gas fumes, even when we leave them in and they spend the night inside. If you smell gas fumes you have other issues that need addressed.

I am not alone in not having gas fumes permeate my living area.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

DennisVR
Explorer
Explorer
Search for toyhaulers with a garage. They are usually larger ones, mostly 5th wheels and some TT.

Y-Guy
Just about every brand will have units with separate garage, way to many to list. For the most part you're going to be looking at units 35+ plus feet to get a separate garage. In the main Toy Hauler forum look for the Sticky, The Complete List of Toy Haulers. There you can start looking through the various brand websites and brochures.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon