cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodyear Endurance is 5 years too old?

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
My Goodyear Endurance tires just turned 5 years old. Some sources say tires age out at 5 and others say 6. The price of these tires has gone up 50% since I bought them. I’d love to squeeze another year out of them but not if it’s too risky. Thoughts?
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
24 REPLIES 24

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am fairly sure the warranty is 6 years pro rated for non road hazard issues.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
Mine are 5 y/o this year as well and I have no intention of replacing them just because of age. I will have to replace them next year because they'll be worn out - at <15K. They'll be replaced with something else that starts out with more tread.

Makes no sense! 15k??? I have a set on my Boat Trailer and they have at least 20-25k and dated 2017. I will run them this Summer and see how the tread looks.

You must have brakes set too tight or some other issue.

Something to consider you have 5 years with no issues on trailer tires that says a lot.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
My Goodyear Endurance tires just turned 5 years old. Some sources say tires age out at 5 and others say 6. The price of these tires has gone up 50% since I bought them. I’d love to squeeze another year out of them but not if it’s too risky. Thoughts?

Depends on several factors. Some are....
Are the tires a commercial grade steel carcass tire. Their good for 8+ years and 50k-60k miles of service. Not so much poly carcass tires.

Have they been protected from the sun while not in use. Lots of rv trailers may make 3-4 trips a year with low miles of service.
Tires need to be used so how many miles do those tire have in those 5 years.

Have they had the proper care in those 5 years....no derated per minimum load pressure charts..... Bounced over curbs/rocks/etc.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Mine are 5 y/o this year as well and I have no intention of replacing them just because of age. I will have to replace them next year because they'll be worn out - at <15K. They'll be replaced with something else that starts out with more tread.

Thats pretty poor performance for any tire 15K . If you got the rims for it move up to the best in an RV tire, the Sailun S637 .

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
For me, tires are one of the most critical factors when evaluating RV risks when traveling. IMHO.
So, I always bought new tires at 5 to 6 years IF I was going to take any cross country trips, especially if traving in areas with hot tempetures. Short trips I might take a chance on 6 year old tires. At 7 years, I throw them away for new tires.
Tires are expensive for sure but the cost of damage to your RV or worst scenerio an accident when you have a tire come apart 😞

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tires are cheaper than repairing your RV due to a blow out.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless you know a reason, that could make them questionable, I'd run them at least another year.

I just replaced my Provider tires(very similar to Endurance, with a bit more tread) last Summer, which were OEM on my FW. They looked good after 8 years of use.

Jerry

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not be afraid of these American made tires even at 7 years old. Just keep the tire pressure where it's supposed to be. The last set of tires (not Goodyears) I took off my 5th wheel I kept for use on the boat trailer which is not driven over 40 miles per day when used. They are now 8 years old and still no sign of cracks or any problems. Like everything in today's economy tires are profanely expensive. I believe when possible you need to get all the wear out of things before replacing.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
are they covered? sit outside in the weather? see any side wall cracks? how tires are cared for will make a big difference in how long they last. stop and have them inspected by a good tire shop.