cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grand Design to Forest River XLR......need advice....

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
Hello from So. Cal!
I am wanting to trade in my 2014 Grand Design Refelctions for a new 375xlr and have a few questions if you don't mind. We have been very happy with the Grand Design unit but the DW loves the Xlrs.

1. We need every inch of the stated garage length of 12'6". Is this number accurate?

2. How would owners of the Xlrs rate the quality, customer support, satisfaction?

3. The options on the stability of the tow and low pin weight? I have a 2015 F350 cc SRW long bed.

4. Is the full body paint worth it?

5. Has anyone bought from Parris Rv in Murphy, Utah? Opinions?

6. Any opinions on anything I left out?

We are hoping to order one real soon!

Joe
Joe
2014 Ford F250 6.7L Crewcab Beast
2014 Grand Design Reflections 303RLS
46 REPLIES 46

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Taken

Thanks. I did not notice that before. That's something to think about. If it adds something to the resale value I could eventually recover part of the extra cost. Still, I think that unit looks pretty nice as it is.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

taken
Explorer
Explorer
The Reflection in that pic is not painted. Just fiberglass with decals. Most TT's and 5ver's are either grey or white fiberglass with decals. Many of the nicer rigs have it as an option where as most less expensive RV's you can only get unpainted.

On some they have the front end cap painted to make it stand out but keep the sides and rear unpainted to save $.

When you get into high end rigs like Class A diesel pushers, they are more often painted.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
taken

Thanks for the quick response. So when I'm looking at new trailers on the web are they painted or not? For example, this one below (I just picked it at random) does not say anything about paint. Is the gray bare fiberglass and is the rest decals or is this trailer painted? If I want full body paint then they will raise the price another 5 to 10 thousand?

Reflection 29RS

taken
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Full Body Paint - How is that different than regular paint? When I went to the RV show, or when I look at websites on line I see trailers with nice flashy paint jobs. Are they available without the flashy paint jobs? When I'm looking at prices for new models can I find the same model for $5K less with a plain paint job? The trailer that taken has looks very nice, but I also think $5K looks really nice in my bank account. I also wonder, after you've looked at that flashy paint job for 2 years or 5 years is it still worth $5K in your mind or do you want to re-paint it for some new design? After all, it is only money.

Full body paint is paint. Same thing. It's just the term for a trailer that's fully painted vs. one that's partially painted or fiberglass and decals only.

As to flashy, I agree and would have preferred a two tone paint job just like on a truck. I would have my same two colors but with the upper all silver and the lower skirting dark grey. Manufacturer said no go. They want the swirls and swooshes. Seems like it would have been cheaper for them to do it my way so I'm guessing it's a marketing thing kind of like their trademark. It's a rolling billboard for their brand really.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Full Body Paint - How is that different than regular paint? When I went to the RV show, or when I look at websites on line I see trailers with nice flashy paint jobs. Are they available without the flashy paint jobs? When I'm looking at prices for new models can I find the same model for $5K less with a plain paint job? The trailer that taken has looks very nice, but I also think $5K looks really nice in my bank account. I also wonder, after you've looked at that flashy paint job for 2 years or 5 years is it still worth $5K in your mind or do you want to re-paint it for some new design? After all, it is only money.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Funny you needed to respond to my first post as if I was talking to you AT ALL. My post was in response to Bumpyroad saying that those of us with FBP were doing it to stroke our ego's. Nothing to do with you but you felt the need to pile on. Guess it hit a little too close to home for you... The more you type the clearer that becomes.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
taken wrote:
It's an option on a toy hauler like any other trailer. Not a standard. If you don't like something that's better that's fine. Don't order it. But don't say it's not better.

As to being thrifty, again, that's subjective. Some would say just stay home or stay in a cheap motel if you must travel as buying a large 5th wheel and the truck to pull it is a complete waste of money yet you feel it's worth your coin. It's a better way to see the places you want to visit. Bottom line is you stopped spending at a level you are comfortable with. I stopped at a level I felt right about. I'm not criticizing your position or comfort level but you and Bumpyroad were compelled to post that liking something nicer and being able to afford it only indulges the ego's of those of us who can and do go the FBP route. So, again, sour grapes.

You mention sour grapes again. Your first post started with
"Sour grapes. If you could afford it, you'd have it."
This is what a disagree with more than if FBP is worthwhile.
Just because I can afford something doesn't mean I want it or would have it. I can afford FBP but I just don't want it. I've got more **** for my RV than I can shake a stick at. However FBP is not on my want/wish list.
For those that like and enjoy FBP I have no problems with it. But I'm not envious or wish I had or could afford FBP.
I can afford FBP but I don't want it. I don't think that is a hard concept.
Now for the Prevost... who needs a fancy rig like that? What waste of money!.....There are some sour grapes there! .....For the record I can't afford a Prevost but I'm not envious of those guys either;)
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, I agree 100%...

lawnspecialties, Ford is keeping Ingot Silver for the 2017 redesign... Thank goodness as I may be going for a new truck then and it must match the XLR... 😉
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
I think the bottom line here is that one enjoys whatever one can afford. You make the most of what you have! I have always been with the mindset that as I grow older, responsibly of course, I can indulge in life's little treats.
The DW and I don't take extravagant vacations overseas spending thousands upon thousands each year. Some take loans out against their credit card to pay for them. We on the other hand, prefer road trips with our kids and friends. The way I see it, 6000k for FBP on a trailer I'll have for years, is more of my cup of tea than a 6000k one week vacation to Hawaii. But, if I can afford to do both, why not?

Joe
Joe

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Oddly though, I prefer the old white look with colored graphics. But that's just me. My F350 is also the Ingot Metallic and of course, what ever I get HAS to match the truck. :B

As for the OP. I don't have either toy hauler you mentioned. But either one would be an awesome choice in my opinion. If the dear wife likes the XLR better and you can swing it, I can't imagine you'd be unhappy with that move.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
sour grapes is somebody wasting $6,000 on FBP and then coming on here and whining that they don't want to spend $1,000 on a toad braking system or some safety item.

none of my rVs had FBP and I didn't miss it, and yes, I did pay cash for my last two RVs so it isn't that I couldn't afford it.
But go ahead and impress the neighbors. :s
bumpy

taken
Explorer
Explorer
It's an option on a toy hauler like any other trailer. Not a standard. If you don't like something that's better that's fine. Don't order it. But don't say it's not better.

As to being thrifty, again, that's subjective. Some would say just stay home or stay in a cheap motel if you must travel as buying a large 5th wheel and the truck to pull it is a complete waste of money yet you feel it's worth your coin. It's a better way to see the places you want to visit. Bottom line is you stopped spending at a level you are comfortable with. I stopped at a level I felt right about. I'm not criticizing your position or comfort level but you and Bumpyroad were compelled to post that liking something nicer and being able to afford it only indulges the ego's of those of us who can and do go the FBP route. So, again, sour grapes.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
taken wrote:
I didn't mention anyting about your truck being painted to match your RV. I mentioned it being painted at all. Seems silly with your logic. You won't go outside and look at it right? It's not art right? Keep it simple and just clear it. Why bother to have a color at all?

As to my painted RV, you clearly haven't looked at my pics. It is no different than a fiberglass RV. No more or less showy. Same swirl and swoosh pattern that I would skip if I could. Hell, I asked if they'd just paint it like a two tone truck. Silver on the top and grey on the bottom. No go. But nevertheless, paint is a nicer finish that plain grey fiberglass with cheap stickers stuck all over it. It's not about being showy. It's about having a nicer finish.

Don't get me wrong. I understand what FBP is. Open Range offered it at one time as a $6K option. I have a friend that has a FBP Open Range model very similar to mine.
I factory ordered my units optioned exactly the way I wanted it. I did not order FBP because I simply did not think it made the unit look $6k better vs. the standard paint job.
The comparison is FBP for $6K or standard clearcoat paint job. It is not FBP vs. no paint at all.
Yes I have decals,lots of them. But I also have $6k in my pocket.
Maybe I'm too thrifty or my pockets just are not deep enough. Or maybe I just don't think the $6k paint job is money well spent?
In the end I don't have FBP and I have no regrets. I don't wish I had it. I don't think my rig looks bad without it.
Keep in mind I don't have a toy hauler. Most/many TH's seem to have FBP. Maybe FBP is another reason I don't own a TH.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

taken
Explorer
Explorer
You too buddy! Anytime....
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

nguyenbio
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
I asked Stan to measure his. He should get back to you in a day...

Thank you so much! Have a terrific evening!
Joe