cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has anyone been stopped by D.O.T.

dawzie
Explorer
Explorer
Concerned about being weighed. I'm 240 lbs. over gross on truck. Rear tires and axle are just under. Front axle only gained 60 lbs. Fiver axles and tires are fine.
45 REPLIES 45

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
One more CA "thing' that some may not know, and only pertains to
CA registered vehicles and CA licensed drivers.

The Chippies *will* check DLs for the proper endorsement/s for drivers towing heavy trailers (toys inside) which require same.
(Three axles is a dead giveaway! - then just look at the trlr rating plate)
Not in possession of a Class A non-commercial DL, will rate a 'park it' - until a properly licensed driver is located.

~

True. And it doesn't take much for a TT to be in violation (>10K Lbs GVWR rating of the trailer whether loaded that heavy or not). For a 5th wheel, you have to be over 15k - but CA still requires a class C towing endorsement if GVWR of the trailer is between 10k - 15k.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I have seen non truck drivers stopped for inspections, was after a local tree trimming company had a chipper come off the back of a dump truck, resulting in a fatality.

The local PD started to pull over any and all trailers being towed, to insure that the loads were properly secured. Put a lot of fear in some home owners returning from the home improvement store with their 4x8 trailer behind the mini-van. A few RVers/boaters were caught up in the action.

Mostly they just gave constructive advise on chains, lights, securing load, etc... I am sure a few were critized for being obviously overloaded, but I did not hear a single report of "scales" being deployed.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
One more CA "thing' that some may not know, and only pertains to
CA registered vehicles and CA licensed drivers.

The "No Pickups" at Weigh Stations - was modified a few years ago!
Although not religiously enforced, the upper limits of GVWR pickups are now required to stop at scales.
Ditto *any* pickup with a utility or stake bed.

For CA - "The DOT" - is the CHP.
For areas close to off roading areas (like Glamis, Pismo Dunes, etc.)

The Chippies *will* check DLs for the proper endorsement/s for drivers towing heavy trailers (toys inside) which require same.
(Three axles is a dead giveaway! - then just look at the trlr rating plate)
Not in possession of a Class A non-commercial DL, will rate a 'park it' - until a properly licensed driver is located.

~

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
dawzie wrote:
A 3/4 ton or larger pickup can ONLY be registered commercial in New York.

As I'm sure everyone knows, it's a 'state-by-state' thing!

So - to add to the above (in re: New York).

In CA *every* vehicle with a "bed" has been required to be registered as "Commercial" for years and years.
You pay GVWR (commercial) fee over and above the basic license fee.
For my 2005 1T, that is/was $225 - which never decreases.

That means the smallest import to a Chevy Avalanche, etc.
Nothing to do with weight (GVWR) capacity.
(My 'new' '65 El Camino was required to have commercial plates in '65)
Doesn't matter if you only carry *your* golf clubs or the wife's groceries in the bed.

Note: Thee are/were certain 'exceptions' - such as a *permanently*
attached camper shell ("topper") on a pickup.
An inspection was required for that perk.

In CA the Commercial requirement (fee) will be waived for the handicapped, limited to one vehicle per registered owner.

Another Ex:
The full size Ford Explorers and Chevy Blazers had a rear section over the rear seat and small cargo area - which was removable.
With that (factory) supplied/required item, those "SUVs" could be licensed as passenger vehicles when sold - (no commercial reg req'd)

For lots of serious 4x4 off-roaders, it was removed - often permanently. (Heavy! - PITA to take on and off)
Most LEOs had better things to do, than cite for the improper registration, for what would be a "fixit".
Gardening (or?) equipment in the 'bed' - might be a red flag, however.

~

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Unless RV.net starts handing out badges to the weight police on this board I think you'll be fine.

That was a good one.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
shadows4 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
^^^^^And they just started letting you get 2-year plates for the heavier weights too. One less trip per year to the DMV office. ๐Ÿ™‚

And fj12Ryder, it is even easier to just do it online and not have to even go in to the License bureau. If I hadn't needed to exchange the plate I wouldn't have. We were there for almost 2 hrs!!!
The DMV office here in Platte City isn't bad at all, usually a max of ten minute wait. Of course it's longer the first few days and last few days of the month. I have walked in, walked right up to the desk, and back out in about 3 minutes. But it doesn't happen often. ๐Ÿ™‚

Up until a couple years before I moved from St. Joseph, the DMV there had a dedicated line just for renewals. You had to have all your stuff in hand, and it moved pretty fast. Apparently they heard about it in Jeff City and it was gotten rid of after about 3 years and went back to the everybody-wait-in-the-same-long-slow-line way of "doing business(?)".

I won't do my renewing online because I refuse to give the state any more of my money just so I can use a credit card.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dedmiston
shadows4 wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

Off topic a bit...

I hadn't thought of this in years, but when I was a kid we used to spend a couple weeks in the Ozarks every summer at some relatives near Eldorado Springs (before the lake was dammed up). I was surprised to see that every pickup had a big placard on the driver's door with full identification info (name, business name, address, phone, etc.). I asked my dad's uncle why he and all his friends put their info on their doors and he told me it was a state legal requirement that every pickup truck had to have this on the driver's door. Do you still do this?

Hello Dave,

No they do not still do this. I am not sure when they stopped this but I do remember my Dad had a 73 or 74 Dodge pickup that he had a magnetic sign on with that info on it. Seems like in the late 70's or early 80's they stopped requiring it.

Thanks for the side trip down memory lane. You have a beautiful state.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
^^^^^And they just started letting you get 2-year plates for the heavier weights too. One less trip per year to the DMV office. ๐Ÿ™‚

And fj12Ryder, it is even easier to just do it online and not have to even go in to the License bureau. If I hadn't needed to exchange the plate I wouldn't have. We were there for almost 2 hrs!!!
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:

Off topic a bit...

I hadn't thought of this in years, but when I was a kid we used to spend a couple weeks in the Ozarks every summer at some relatives near Eldorado Springs (before the lake was dammed up). I was surprised to see that every pickup had a big placard on the driver's door with full identification info (name, business name, address, phone, etc.). I asked my dad's uncle why he and all his friends put their info on their doors and he told me it was a state legal requirement that every pickup truck had to have this on the driver's door. Do you still do this?

Hello Dave,

No they do not still do this. I am not sure when they stopped this but I do remember my Dad had a 73 or 74 Dodge pickup that he had a magnetic sign on with that info on it. Seems like in the late 70's or early 80's they stopped requiring it.
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

dedmiston
shadows4 wrote:
A couple of days after reading and responding to this thread I got to thinking. I know, dangerous territory. LOL

Any way, I went and looked up my weights from a couple of years ago. I was about 17,800 on 18,000 lb plates. Why I didn't think about this then, I don't know. I do remember when I weighed it was for a weekend trip. I know I would be heavier on longer trips.

As we have a 2 week trip planned this summer, I went and upped my plates to 24,000 lb. plates yesterday. This way I know I am covered should I ever be checked. Just had to turn in my old plates and pay the difference for the new ones. I feel better, just a little lighter in the wallet. LOL

Off topic a bit...

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
A couple of days after reading and responding to this thread I got to thinking. I know, dangerous territory. LOL

Any way, I went and looked up my weights from a couple of years ago. I was about 17,800 on 18,000 lb plates. Why I didn't think about this then, I don't know. I do remember when I weighed it was for a weekend trip. I know I would be heavier on longer trips.

As we have a 2 week trip planned this summer, I went and upped my plates to 24,000 lb. plates yesterday. This way I know I am covered should I ever be checked. Just had to turn in my old plates and pay the difference for the new ones. I feel better, just a little lighter in the wallet. LOL
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

dawzie
Explorer
Explorer
A 3/4 ton or larger pickup can ONLY be registered commercial in New York.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
dawzie wrote:
Thanks for all the reply's. From the reply's and what I have seen on my road trips, the odds of being stopped and/or weighed are remote. I agree with having a safety margin with tire and weight loading.

FYI - in New York, when you register your truck or trailer, it will be for the GVW as stated by MFG. and the unladen weight will be as stated on title unless you have a certified scale weight.

Here is a link to the application form. It states the "Maximum Gross Weight" for "Trailers or Commercial Vehicles". So it would appear the the maximum gross weight does not apply to private pickups.

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv82.pdf
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021