cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headed North in Winter (Eastern Washington)

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
So instead of being one of the snowbirds, I'm doing just the opposite. Headed north. Suggestions as to what I should be prepared for are welcome (besides cold weather 🙂 ) Temps will be in the teens. I will be living in the trailer for about three weeks the last of December. Should I always keep the heater on to help keep pipes from freezing? What else can I expect? Remember, I'm a Southern California guy.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite
My DW the co-pilot/navigator (the boss):)

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
20 REPLIES 20

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
obgraham wrote:
Look, Yosemitebobr:
You go up I-5. If the weather is bad, pull over and wait. It won't be long. Then I-84. Again, it can be an ice storm there. Don't go that day. Don't plan on Salt-Lake-Baker: much more likelihood of bad weather/snow that way.
At Pasco, blow out your lines if it looks like a deep freeze you can't handle, or call me for some more portable heaters. (PM sent)

Still might face a road check in the Siskiyou Mountains that would require him to have chains for the trailer!

I could have bought chains for mine years ago, however there is just no way I want to chain up the trailer.

1. Plastic fender skirts
2. Clearance issues
3. The damage that could occur to the trailer in general from the shaky ride while chained up.
4. Once chained up you might drive more miles than you want to get to a place to unchain it.
5. The general mess that occurs in the Siskiyou Mountains in bad weather.
6. Heading North, the places to sit it out are a long ways South of the pass.
7. The other humps on I-5 in Southern Oregon that can get snow Sexton Pass, Stage Road Pass, Canyon Creek Pass
8. The options to go to the coast heading North occur many miles South of the trouble spot.
9. 199 from Grants Pass to the coast is not a good winter option going South and the three humps listed in number 7 above are still in your route.

Both 126 and 38 are good routes between I-5 and 101. Going all the way to Astoria is really the long way around, and would be only be a sight seeing or extreme weather route.

On the North shore of the Columbia river on hiway 14 near Lyle is a 13'2" low clearance.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=&layer=c&cbll=45.68805,-121.27619&cbp=12,0,0,0,0

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Look, Yosemitebobr:
You go up I-5. If the weather is bad, pull over and wait. It won't be long. Then I-84. Again, it can be an ice storm there. Don't go that day. Don't plan on Salt-Lake-Baker: much more likelihood of bad weather/snow that way.
At Pasco, blow out your lines if it looks like a deep freeze you can't handle, or call me for some more portable heaters. (PM sent)

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemitebobr wrote:
I am installing a 50 amp line in my daughters home when I arrive. I'm staying In the trailer for the three weeks on her property in Pasco, In the southeast corner of the state. Water as I need it.

Since Pasco's on the Columbia, it's a little more temperate than some other parts of Eastern Washington. Wind might be your biggest concern- if you can park the rig on the lee side of a building you'll go a long way towards keeping things "warm". Or at least what passes for warm in South Central Washington that time of year!

Temporary skirting of some kind is a good idea, but since this is short term: With a 50 amp hookup you should be able to run enough space heat to protect the plumbing, especially if you're using your furnace for room heat. I'd recommend periodic filling of onboard water tank rather than a live hookup, but if you do use one, heat tape or some other protection will be prudent.

Per your route north: There's really no necessity to travel Oregon's high desert (Baker City etc.) at all to get to Pasco from SoCal.

If you want to avoid the mountains/desert altogether, think about taking Hwy 101 through Oregon and turning East up the Columbia at/near Astoria. This would make most of the trip practically at sea level. The Gorge is windy, especially on the Oregon side...Washington 14 is my usual choice for making that trip. Two lane hwy, but far enough away from the river in most places to be sheltered somewhat from the howling winter gale that often sweeps downriver along I-84 in Oregon.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to study up on winter driving on I-84 in the Baker City and La Grande, Or area. This is high country and can be very bad at times in the winter. Also study up on Cabbage Hill/Deadman Pass.
Google Search Lots of links and info.

If I-5 is bad, most of the people from the NW and BC head to the coast where you are fairly sure that you can still keep moving in the general intended direction.

Many area's will require and check that you have chains for one trailer axle. I do not, if weather is that iffy, I go to 101 on the coast. Last year going down, I went to the coast and then got a call from a friend that just had a nice drive over the Siskiyou Mountains. It was not worth the chance to me towing the trailer. If they make you buy chains from the roadside vendors, you pay twice or three times as much.

Chris

Bus crash Cabbage Hill!
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
The other issue is we have not talked about much how you are going to get there and return three weeks later that time of year. We have been snowbirding in Arizona for the last five years. At the Ca/Or boarder are the Siskiyou Mountains. I have been both over and around them depending on weather. I once traveled towing the area on the first day of April on the only day that week that it did not snow up there. So when you go around that time of the year, that means Hiway 101 on the coast, which adds a day or two to our trip to Arizona. 101 requires a lot more work on the drivers part. The best winter route between the coast and I-5 is 38 thru Drain to Reedsport, as it stay at lower elevations. This route bypasses the other humps in Southern Oregon on I-5. Campgrounds between Santa Rosa and Eureka during the winter can be a challenge.

If it is a mild winter in Central Oregon then coming up I-5 and taking 97 to Klamath Falls and up thru Bend is the shortest route. Here is a great site to get to know. Tripcheck Also Central Oregon on 97 way be campground challenged.

I do not mess with the Siskiyou's, if there is a chance of snow I go around! This is a very heavily traveled trucking route, and becomes a really big mess quickly with lots of wrecks occurring.

So ask away on route issues. Chris

Thank you for this good to know good link, was actually thinking if I-5 is bad I would go through Salt-lake City, and head up. Think that would be bad?
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I agree, but what I've seen is expensive
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite

overthehillbill
Explorer
Explorer
A dehumidifier is a great investment for cold weather camping.
Bill
'08 Cedar Creek 32TK, 35'9", 13,990#
'01 F-250,Lariat, 7.3L, SC, Auto, LB, JW Towmaster Tranny, 6.0L Tranny cooler, DP custom tunes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Auto Meter Gauges, Firestone Air Bags. '07 Headlights and Grille, Prodigy P-3.

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
Oops double post
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
SteveAE wrote:
Yosemitebobr,

Others have given you great suggestions and my gut feeling is that you will be fine. However, depending on the temperatures you experience and how well your trailer is designed (and/or modified) for colder weather conditions, your trailer water systems may or may not be. So I would add the suggestion that you may want to have the knowledge and capability to winterize your rig if conditions warrant.

Either way, you will lean a lot about cold weather camping. Enjoy the family time.

Steve

But I really prefer the warm climates, but when your kid moves to the Arctic Circle (ok Washington) 🙂 , in subzero temperatures (ok, 25-29) I must prevail and endure, seriously I have taken all into account and already have started my searches for the appropriate hardware. Just remembers, I need tire chains.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The other issue is we have not talked about much how you are going to get there and return three weeks later that time of year. We have been snowbirding in Arizona for the last five years. At the Ca/Or boarder are the Siskiyou Mountains. I have been both over and around them depending on weather. I once traveled towing the area on the first day of April on the only day that week that it did not snow up there. So when you go around that time of the year, that means Hiway 101 on the coast, which adds a day or two to our trip to Arizona. 101 requires a lot more work on the drivers part. The best winter route between the coast and I-5 is 38 thru Drain to Reedsport, as it stay at lower elevations. This route bypasses the other humps in Southern Oregon on I-5. Campgrounds between Santa Rosa and Eureka during the winter can be a challenge.

If it is a mild winter in Central Oregon then coming up I-5 and taking 97 to Klamath Falls and up thru Bend is the shortest route. Here is a great site to get to know. Tripcheck Also Central Oregon on 97 way be campground challenged.

I do not mess with the Siskiyou's, if there is a chance of snow I go around! This is a very heavily traveled trucking route, and becomes a really big mess quickly with lots of wrecks occurring.

So ask away on route issues. Chris

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemitebobr,

Others have given you great suggestions and my gut feeling is that you will be fine. However, depending on the temperatures you experience and how well your trailer is designed (and/or modified) for colder weather conditions, your trailer water systems may or may not be. So I would add the suggestion that you may want to have the knowledge and capability to winterize your rig if conditions warrant.

Either way, you will lean a lot about cold weather camping. Enjoy the family time.

Steve

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Well since I live here, I can tell you that Decembers have been very unpredictable lately. Typically 40's daytime, high 20's at night. But our low of -5 was in December a couple of years ago.

I expect you'll be fine just running your normal heat, watching your water lines, etc. If all else fails, move into my shed.

🙂 Thanks, I may need it :), better yet, can I put the trailer in your shed and I'll sleep outside 🙂
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Well since I live here, I can tell you that Decembers have been very unpredictable lately. Typically 40's daytime, high 20's at night. But our low of -5 was in December a couple of years ago.

I expect you'll be fine just running your normal heat, watching your water lines, etc. If all else fails, move into my shed.

Yosemitebobr
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Yosemitebobr wrote:
I am installing a 50 amp line in my daughters home when I arrive. I'm staying In the trailer for the three weeks on her property in Pasco, In the southeast corner of the state. Water as I need it.

I hope they have an extra couch or bed!!!

Click record lows on this page to see what you might face.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USWA0338

The really lows have not been around in recent years. You most likely will deal with 25-29 at night.

Chris

thanks Chris, extra bed, hmmmm, I wouldn't be taking the trailer if she had an extra bed. Besides, I love my kids but that long in the same house, I have to be able to go to my private place 🙂 Well, I better start making a plan, and start acquiring what I may need.

Thanks all for your help, but keep the suggestions coming, I listen to all.
YosemiteBobR (Bob)
2022 Venture Sonic Lite