cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heartland Vs Jayco

rogers81
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking at and comparing the Heartland Gateway 3650BH and the Jayco Northpoint 375BHFS. We like different things about both. They are pretty much the same floor plan with only little differences.
I have found that some of the Hearland dealers will get you a lot better deal. I went on line to get an extended service plan. The Jayco will cost about $90 more over a 6 year period then the Heartland. Is this because there are fewer claims on the Heartland?
45 REPLIES 45

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Hunter11 wrote:
We owned a 2015 Heartland Landmark for 23 months before we purchased our current unit. Without a doubt the Landmark was the biggest piece of junk we have ever owned. It spent a total of two months at the dealer Heartland told us to take it to while we paid for living expenses due to being full time. The big three warranty items where having the entire roof and decking replaced due to delam (Started two months after we got it), the bed had to be removed so the bedroom flooring could be completely re-screwed because the bedroom floor was moving and squeaking when we walked on it and the large bedroom slide exterior siding had to be replaced due to delam. The issue was caused from a defective top slide seal from the factory and it allowed water to leak in before we found it was leaking. We had numerous other warranty issues that were done by the dealer, mobile RV tech and me. We had to cut our losses while we still had good equity in it. Heartland did take care of all the warranty work the issue was there was way to much of it.

Our new MS is a much better full time unit in our opinion. Just better quality materials. It is a flip of a coin on any RV now days as far as getting a good one.

Still contemplating
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Hunter11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We owned a 2015 Heartland Landmark for 23 months before we purchased our current unit. Without a doubt the Landmark was the biggest piece of junk we have ever owned. It spent a total of two months at the dealer Heartland told us to take it to while we paid for living expenses due to being full time. The big three warranty items where having the entire roof and decking replaced due to delam (Started two months after we got it), the bed had to be removed so the bedroom flooring could be completely re-screwed because the bedroom floor was moving and squeaking when we walked on it and the large bedroom slide exterior siding had to be replaced due to delam. The issue was caused from a defective top slide seal from the factory and it allowed water to leak in before we found it was leaking. We had numerous other warranty issues that were done by the dealer, mobile RV tech and me. We had to cut our losses while we still had good equity in it. Heartland did take care of all the warranty work the issue was there was way to much of it.

Our new MS is a much better full time unit in our opinion. Just better quality materials. It is a flip of a coin on any RV now days as far as getting a good one.
2017 Chevrolet 3500 4DR LTZ DRW LWB 4X4 D/A
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4DR
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
..I'm leaning toward the Heartland now, it has 3 A/C's...looking more out for what we'll borrow...The wife want's the bath and a half and the Heartland and MS use a lot of the same materials/parts, though I know the MS is a better unit..with Heartland I get disc brakes, but no IS. remember.....if mama aint happy.....so it may be the New Port

I couldn't keep up with Ron...I haven't got THAT much money:B

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Hey Chris, we're looking at a 2017 MS 40 SKKB4 and a Heartland Landmark New Port...both at RV's for Less in Knoxville TN. 20K difference in price, with, of course, the MS being higher..My wife likes the bath and a half in the Heartland at this point,,,We've looked at other full time rigs, a lot of them very good,,,just doing all the research before we "pull the trigger", Adjuster at camper yesterday..hoping to find out settlement soon so that we can no what our options are..Seeing as how this clarity took place Thursday evening through Friday morning and some one from Progressive has touched base with me every day since I filed the claim last Friday,,,with ALL the claims going on at this time in WVa, I feel like Progressive has really been pro-active..Hoping to know something by Friday...Will report out when I find out something

(Ron is one who told me about the place in Knoxville TN where I'm going to look at these two units...about a 2 hr. drive from our home)

Jim

Jim, if there is an option for a third AC on the Landmark, then you want that! We going through a bit of teething with the new Dometic AC units, and there is a TSB to fix them. It involves sealing extra unused mounting holes and drilling additional drain holes and checking on the data cable connection for the thermostat.

Heartland has very good customer service and will even authorize the use of a mobile tech to repair things if the user pays his travel time.

However to keep up with Ron you need the MS! Maybe you will still let me come to the face to face mini rally. Can we have it in Palm Springs or Arizona this coming winter?

Chris

I'm in!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
NC Hauler wrote:
Hey Chris, we're looking at a 2017 MS 40 SKKB4 and a Heartland Landmark New Port...both at RV's for Less in Knoxville TN. 20K difference in price, with, of course, the MS being higher..My wife likes the bath and a half in the Heartland at this point,,,We've looked at other full time rigs, a lot of them very good,,,just doing all the research before we "pull the trigger", Adjuster at camper yesterday..hoping to find out settlement soon so that we can no what our options are..Seeing as how this clarity took place Thursday evening through Friday morning and some one from Progressive has touched base with me every day since I filed the claim last Friday,,,with ALL the claims going on at this time in WVa, I feel like Progressive has really been pro-active..Hoping to know something by Friday...Will report out when I find out something

(Ron is one who told me about the place in Knoxville TN where I'm going to look at these two units...about a 2 hr. drive from our home)

Jim

Jim, if there is an option for a third AC on the Landmark, then you want that! We going through a bit of teething with the new Dometic AC units, and there is a TSB to fix them. It involves sealing extra unused mounting holes and drilling additional drain holes and checking on the data cable connection for the thermostat.

Heartland has very good customer service and will even authorize the use of a mobile tech to repair things if the user pays his travel time.

However to keep up with Ron you need the MS! Maybe you will still let me come to the face to face mini rally. Can we have it in Palm Springs or Arizona this coming winter?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
I've looked at a few Jayco Pinnacles recently. The use of those Schwintec slides all around has scared me off. Between that and the cheaper electric, non-hydraulic Level Up makes it look like they've cheaped out on some of the "bones" of the rig. I currently own a Heartland product. My next move will be to a Cedar Creek.

B.O.

We just bought a 2017 Big Horn 3575 elite! We looked closely at the 34RL Cedar Creek. Could not get past the Western look of the two tone wood, the cheap looking recliners and couch, and the Westlake tires.

In contrast the BH has electric theater seating with heat and massage, nice wood work and Sailun tires. It is rated as a full time living trailer. The BH elite models have the high roof line all the way to the back similar the the Landmark 365's.

Cedar Creek does have a new high end Champagne edition. Wood work is different but still a little Western looking. All of the Cedar Creeks have the lower rear roof lines. When you walk into a trailer with the high roof line, you say wow! MS, Heartland Landmark, Heartland BH elites, and maybe some others have these high roof lines. Chris

BH3575el

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know if the Cedar Creek is rated full time, but the new Forest River Riverstone is and they are a nice rig. They have a build video on the website which shows a lot of their features. Saw one at Myrtle Beach at Carolina RV and was impressed.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
...Thanks Larry..all good points:B
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Jim might give a boat and forget the fifth. Buy an F-550 and have ground or water to full time on and no mud. You can thank me later. Keep the stress level low as you can.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
I've looked at a few Jayco Pinnacles recently. The use of those Schwintec slides all around has scared me off. Between that and the cheaper electric, non-hydraulic Level Up makes it look like they've cheaped out on some of the "bones" of the rig. I currently own a Heartland product. My next move will be to a Cedar Creek.

B.O.

Agree to some extent, but having owned one 5er with hydraulic, with zero issues by the way, and the last 2, a Coachman and a HR Presidential Suite with electric, I never had the first issue, the electric is slower...that affects me none whatsoever..I won't belabor the point, but never thought of my HR Presidential Suite as having been cheated out due to electric slides and jacks..Is the Cedar Creek considered full time/ If so, I'll look at it...That's my top priority, to get a legitimate full time 5th wheel.

thanks,
Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim,

I have had both a Designer and now a Landmark. Both are good rigs. I haven't seen a new Designer in person, but from looking at on internet for the price they don't compare to the Landmark. The one thing we didn't like is that the Designer still uses the chill grill for one of the AC's and we wanted both ducted so they are quieter.

Has our Landmark been problem free, no. We have had a few issues, nothing major, and Heartland customer service has been very good to deal with. They will authorize a mobile tech and I had to pay the fee for the tech to come out, $65. Easier for me to do that than hook it up and take it in.

I suggest you take a day trip down to Knoxville and visit RV's for Less. They carry DRV's and Landmarks. They usually have a good selection so you can do a compare. You can tell them you are looking and they will let you browse without a sales person hanging all over you. PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck with the insurance.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
...just contemplating here...Is the Designer considered a "full time" unit like the Heartland 365 level and the DRV Mobile Suites?..they aren't cheap either..I know the DRV with IS and other "higher end options may not be a fair comparison...BUT want a unit that insurance company won't have an issue with us full timing in. My Jayco dealer can also get the Pinnacle with full body paint...but need to research that also...I've read good and bad on GD, Jayco, DRV and Heartland 365 level 5er's...nothing unusual about that..just want to do my "do diligence" before signing on the dotted line..

Jim
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

JEBar
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Jayco over any Heartland product.

Ken

agree without a doubt
'07 Freightliner Sportchassis
'06 SunnyBrook 34BWKS