cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heater Advice please

MandMkuzie
Explorer
Explorer
Well the remodel of our travel supreme is coming along. We fixed the electrical grounding issue, thank you for all the advice on that.

Water closet remodeled, bunkhouse remodeled to accommodate residential size twin beds, still installing led lighting throughout
I am in the middle of replacing the ductwork for the furnace, but after doing more research am not that interested in using the furnace unless necessary.

I am considering purchasing an infrared fireplace, but would also like to add an effivient gas heater in case of a power outage. I was thinking of possibly a wall unit.

Any suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Many "basements" don't have outlets. They rely on heat losses through the rather inefficient OEM duct work to prevent freezing.

Perhaps so. Our last 2 Mobile Suites (2004 36RE3 and 2014.5 38RSSA) both have had furnace outlets in the plumbing bay.

Rusty

Agreed. Our Corsair has a furnace outlet into the docking bay, another into the insulated tank enclosure, as well as one into the front belly storage compartment along with insulated compartment doors. It also has 2 dual stage furnaces.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

MandMkuzie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to go ahead and run ductwork to the belly to heat it up, along with insulating the lines themselves. Still planning on an infrared fireplace for aesthetics as well as heat

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Many "basements" don't have outlets. They rely on heat losses through the rather inefficient OEM duct work to prevent freezing.

Perhaps so. Our last 2 Mobile Suites (2004 36RE3 and 2014.5 38RSSA) both have had furnace outlets in the plumbing bay.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
they have wall mounted propane heaters that duct the fumes out side.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Wrapping won't help in sub freezing temperatures. Run a thermostatically controlled heat tape.

I've added thermostatically controlled heaters for the waste tank area and for the pass through storage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MandMkuzie
Explorer
Explorer
Rusty, there was no outlet down there. The entire belly was insulated, which I am replacing with r-30. I am also wrapping all the water lines, which was not originally done.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
In replacing the ductwork, did you notice an outlet in the basement? That's there to heat the plumbing bay and piping in the basement to prevent freezing. If you're going to find yourself in temperatures below 32 degF, how do you plan to keep the basement above freezing?

We have an electric fireplace in our rig as well as the CheapHeat system that allows the furnace to heat using either propane or electricity.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600