cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help deciding on hitch

Snopusher
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to fifth wheels and looking for recommendations on hitch. We are looking at a Sierra 377flick. Hitch weight says 2445lbs. I own a 2013 ram 2500 Cummins short bed srw crew cab. I know the weight police are gonna question the weight! I am looking for recommendations on what hitch to buy. Any help would be appreciated. I will also be using airbags for assistance, and the truck has a 3" lift with 35x12.5 x 20 E rated tires.
2013 Ram 2500 CTD PPEI Tuned 3" BDS RIde Rite Airbags
2017 Sierra 377 FLIK
2005 Nissan Armada (SOLD)
2008 Springdale 298BH-SSR (SOLD)
28 REPLIES 28

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
b_pilot wrote:
With a short bed truck and a fifth wheel trailer you should consider a slider hitch. When I bought my first 5th wheel, I bought a manual slider hitch since I had a 2500 short bed. I didn't like it because you had to plan on when you needed to move the hitch back for a tight turn. When I sold my truck for another 2500 short bed truck, I bought a Pullrite Super Glide which moves back and forth automatically as you make turns. It provides piece of mind knowing that you can make a tight turn without hitting the cab of the truck. Much more expensive than a manual slider but worth it in my opinion.

X2!! I have noticed a lot of people pooh, pooh the super glide! They say it is heavy? I want something heavy and rugged to pull my 5th wheel! You never have to stop and think, "should I slide"? It does so automatically, you just back it in, no worries! Hitching and un hitching is a snap! I do not have to worry about it it just sits there and does what it is supposed to do! You wanted a suggestion, Pullright Super Glide all the way!

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
CDASH said;
"Old school fifth wheel hitches put the load slightly ahead of the rear axle, but people seem to throw that idea out the window with the Anderson and don't care where the load is front to back.

The Anderson has no adjustment that moves weight rearward, or forward. The weight is centered on the trucks gooseneck ball. As long as you either have the factory prep setup for the ball or make sure and mount the after market ball or rails correctly the weight distribution is the same as an old school fifth wheel hitch.

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
The Anderson does set the trailer back either 9.5" or 5.5" depending on how you install the king pin adapter. Either way the weight on the center of mass under the hitch remains the same. This is true for the center gooseneck mount or the rail mount (if the rails are installed correctly) You can turn the adapter on the pin box 180 degrees to shorten the length 4". But you can't turn the hitch 180 degrees as the pin that hooks the trailer up is offset 5.5" to the rear of the trucks center gooseneck ball and the frame of the hitch is designed to fit over the crossmembers of the truck. Either way the weight of the pin box is still applied to the same center as a regular fifth wheel hitch. It's funny some times when folks feel having a longer pin box will move the weight of the trailer further back in the rear of the truck. A longer pin box will add strain to the trailer frame and pin box frame due to the laws of leverage, but the hitch weight will remain centered in the same place.

On a short bed 3/4 ton truck the Anderson is great as you can put a hitch on the truck that can tow more trailer than you can carry for under 100 lbs including the gooseneck ball and safety chains. And do it at a cost of under a grand. Just make sure you get a trailer with a "short bed" nose on it so you can turn it. And then be careful to not tear up you cab.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Cdash wrote:

Keep in mind that the further back your pin goes (referring to the Anderson adjustment), the more the weight increases in the trucks back axle and unloads the front axle. It's all physics and you can't get away from it. Less of a concern when you're within the limits, but should be more of a concern when you're going well beyond limits.

Not going to judge, but encourage you to consider the impacts. The Anderson seems to be the hot new thing that does all of these great things, but for every great thing, there is a not so great thing. Old school fifth wheel hitches put the load slightly ahead of the rear axle, but people seem to throw that idea out the window with the Anderson and don't care where the load is front to back.

Hogwash... Only the attach/pivot point is moved back. The hitch itself (which is what the weight is being distributed through) is still centered over the axle or slightly in front just like any other traditional 5er hitch. Its all physics as you say...
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
My Andersen setup (gooesneck ball connect) has the ball set on the lowest setting on my '07 Ram 2500 4x4. The additional 2(?) holes of height adjustment would raise the ball quite a bit and I can't imagine it wouldn't reach the highest of trailers.

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

I don't have the factory prep so it was rails or gooseneck, and I like the rail setup with the Andersen better than any of the gooseneck setups I've seen (Andersen or otherwise).

The ball on the Andersen hitch has three positions so there's some adjustment there. I'm almost sure the lift and tires is going to require an axle flip on the trailer to make it work. My fifth wheel is a little bit older so probably lower than some of the newer ones, but I need to do an axle flip on mine and my truck is stock height.

Keep in mind that the further back your pin goes (referring to the Anderson adjustment), the more the weight increases in the trucks back axle and unloads the front axle. It's all physics and you can't get away from it. Less of a concern when you're within the limits, but should be more of a concern when you're going well beyond limits.

Not going to judge, but encourage you to consider the impacts. The Anderson seems to be the hot new thing that does all of these great things, but for every great thing, there is a not so great thing. Old school fifth wheel hitches put the load slightly ahead of the rear axle, but people seem to throw that idea out the window with the Anderson and don't care where the load is front to back.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I am sure your hitch is quieter than the Curt. For me I HATE rails of any kind in a truck bed!

I don't have the factory prep so it was rails or gooseneck, and I like the rail setup with the Andersen better than any of the gooseneck setups I've seen (Andersen or otherwise).

The ball on the Andersen hitch has three positions so there's some adjustment there. I'm almost sure the lift and tires is going to require an axle flip on the trailer to make it work. My fifth wheel is a little bit older so probably lower than some of the newer ones, but I need to do an axle flip on mine and my truck is stock height.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Weight Police??? I've never heard of such a thing on rv.net!

I will second Lyle's comment on the 3" lift. These late model trucks sit tall, and can be a problem with FW being towed nose-high. Adding the extra height only amplifies this problem.

You will want a hitch with up down adjustment for sure, and front back adj. is great too. The B&W pictured would be great, if you are an aware enough driver, to not need a sliding hitch. Rams are known to need a slider, in a short bed.

The Andersen will allow more clearance between cab and pin, not sure on up/down.

Jerry

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
If you have the factory pucks great of not add them it's not hard to do and not expensive. Go with either the B&W RVK3600 in pic below and adjust the location of the kingpin to suite your 5er or the B&W slider with a picture frame adapter. I would suggest the 3600 because you will want a larger truck and you will be able to take the hitch with you.

I will refrain from comment for now on the RV size and 3" lift.

I agree on anything by B&W, puck, rail, gooseneck base, slider or not. I =will= comment on the weight and lift. You're almost certainly not going to have enough bed rail clearance with a 3" lift. You're likely going to have to either significantly raise any FW you buy or lose the 3" lift. As for weight, you're looking at +/- 3,500 lbs pin weight, when loaded to the 15,500 GVW. That's firmly in 1 ton range, IMO.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on the Andersen. It will also provide more cab clearance than a traditional non-slider hitch. Ram's have the shortest hitch to cab distance of the big three and I would be hesitant to use a traditional non-slider

Andersen also has an option for a GN/Turnover Ball attach if you want a clean bed.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

b_pilot
Explorer
Explorer
With a short bed truck and a fifth wheel trailer you should consider a slider hitch. When I bought my first 5th wheel, I bought a manual slider hitch since I had a 2500 short bed. I didn't like it because you had to plan on when you needed to move the hitch back for a tight turn. When I sold my truck for another 2500 short bed truck, I bought a Pullrite Super Glide which moves back and forth automatically as you make turns. It provides piece of mind knowing that you can make a tight turn without hitting the cab of the truck. Much more expensive than a manual slider but worth it in my opinion.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
This will draw a diverse set of opinions...

I use a rail mount Andersen hitch in my short bed Ram and I really like it. It only weighs about 35 lbs so it's easy to get in and out of the truck and it doesn't add much weight on your axle. It's also absolutely smooth - no play or noise at all, either starting and stopping or out on the highway. It's also made here in Idaho and I'll support the local guys when I can.

I initially had a Curt slider hitch but I'm selling it. It's a bit clunky on starts and stops, it's a PITA to get in and out of the truck at 200 lbs, and most importantly the slider function won't work with my pin box.

I am sure your hitch is quieter than the Curt. For me I HATE rails of any kind in a truck bed!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have the factory pucks great of not add them it's not hard to do and not expensive. Go with either the B&W RVK3600 in pic below and adjust the location of the kingpin to suite your 5er or the B&W slider with a picture frame adapter. I would suggest the 3600 because you will want a larger truck and you will be able to take the hitch with you.

I will refrain from comment for now on the RV size and 3" lift.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
This will draw a diverse set of opinions...

I use a rail mount Andersen hitch in my short bed Ram and I really like it. It only weighs about 35 lbs so it's easy to get in and out of the truck and it doesn't add much weight on your axle. It's also absolutely smooth - no play or noise at all, either starting and stopping or out on the highway. It's also made here in Idaho and I'll support the local guys when I can.

I initially had a Curt slider hitch but I'm selling it. It's a bit clunky on starts and stops, it's a PITA to get in and out of the truck at 200 lbs, and most importantly the slider function won't work with my pin box.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB