cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HELP! First Time buyer getting cold feet.

MidwestFarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We are a couple in our early 50's, recently retired from full-time employment, with a daughter who is Junior in H.S. and a 22 yr old son living at home. We have limited camping experience amounting to a pop-up 15 years ago with our 3 small children and only went out a few times. Recently attended a local RV show and, just like you would expect, decided we might like to do some RV traveling with a 5th Wheel. Although we are not by-nature "campers", we would like to travel and my husand prefers driving to flying anywhere, any day.

Since we are not completely sold on the "idea", but are attracted to it, we located an older-model towing unit in excellent mechanical condition with plenty of power for a reasonable price and a 2009 5th wheel TT in very nice condition and at a reasonable price. We need to decide very soon (a day or two) whether to move ahead with the purchases, but my husband is now getting "cold feet" about the whole idea.

Have others gone through similar hesitations prior to making the first leap into the world of RVing, or is this a unique situation? Although he was excited about the prospect of traveling the U.S. byways to explore our country, he is now concerned about spending the money on something we might not end-up enjoying, as well as concerned about all of the unknown "work" that might be involved in setting-up, hooking-up, water, heat and electrical management, as well as being away from the homestead for extended periods of time.

Any advise, suggestions or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much. We look forward to any replies.
41 REPLIES 41

gitane59
Explorer III
Explorer III
MidwestFarmer wrote:
Again, we appreciate your input. So far we haven't cancelled the purchase :). Supposed to meet this Tuesday to complete the transaction. Wish our weather would be better for it. Predicted to be high of 39 with a chance of precipitation. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I hear up loud and clear on the weather front. We are taking delivery of our new trailer this Friday up here in Ontario. It is supposed to be 40F and rainy, guess that's better than snow.:R
2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
To decide whether to RV or not to RV (is it for *you* ?).

Rent a Class C from one of the many rental outfits.
See what you think of RVing again.

You won't find trailers for rent - but if you are still in semi-doubtful mode, the used combo might be a good way to go.

Way better than taking the "hit" on a new one, if you decide RVing isn't your cup of tea.
Resale on the used one (if you change your mind) may be the same as what you paid for it..;)

Good luck with your options & decisions.

~

MidwestFarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Again, we appreciate your input. So far we haven't cancelled the purchase :). Supposed to meet this Tuesday to complete the transaction. Wish our weather would be better for it. Predicted to be high of 39 with a chance of precipitation. ๐Ÿ˜ž

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in my early 50's, DW about to hit 50...kids 11 & 16. We started out renting campground cabins, and then jumped in to a 31' TT. Traded it 2 yrs later on a 38' 5er. The more we RV the more we love it. In the beginning it was a chore setting up etc but now it's 2nd nature. I too did some RVing (popup) many years ago & loved it then.
Before we started with the camping thing we had a boat that took many of our weekends. Couldn't justify having both so the boat went:(.
Would love to have the boat back but choosing between the two, RVing wins!
Renting would be a good test.
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
As far as fear of leaving kids at home, I think this is a perfect time to purchase/rent an RV. DD is 16 now, so 18 is close. She will be doing her own thing soon. Mom and Dad can get their feet wet a day or two here and there now, and phase in to longer trips as their comfort level increases. You might even say time is running out to get started.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of thoughts;

Is the pessimism/cold feet a normal part of any major purchase? If so you got over it in the past and will this time. Have fun.

If the cold feet hasn't shown up before you might need to rethink this. As others have said rent a Class C for a week and take off somewhere. Try it you might like it.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I guess my question is what is the reason for the cold feet? Is it the 5th wheel, or is it the being away thing? It would make a difference. If it is the 5th wheel, perhaps as others have suggested a used class c might be more in getting into RV'ing, most people do not camp as I consider camping ie dry camping out in the boondocks! Most people us there RVs to travel around the country. This could be weekend events to places close by, or months long adventures to far off places. They stay at RV parks and meet fellow travelers. What do you want to do, local or far off, or stay at home? I think once you answer those questions you will better able to address the cold feet issue!

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Renting is your best bet. You'll know pretty quickly whether you want to join the RV lifestyle or not. You'll probably rent a motorhome, not a fifthwheel, but the experience is important.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
The funny thing for us was that DW never wanted much to do with an RV. I was always the one that wanted a 5'r to use as our "retirement condo

Two years ago my wife said why don't we sell the house and go FT in the 5vr. 51% DW 49% DH We did it and have never been happier.
JUST SAYIN :B
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

kzspree320
Explorer
Explorer
MidwestFarmer wrote:
My 2 towing concerns are when it comes to 1) the higher profile (11 ft) than I am accustomed to and 2) any kind of "mountain" travel, so any advise or comments on those concerns would be appreciated.
I Don't think the height will be an issue. My fiver height is 12'10" and I have not had an issue. You do need to know your height and be aware of your surroundings, but I try to stay on main drags and have never had to turn around due to height. Just be aware and read signs (in particular when going under covers at gas stations, etc). Be patient in the mountains. Stay in lower gears if needed not only for going up the mountains, but in order to use the brakes less when descending.

As far as being away from the homestead, I guess I am concerned that we might be a couple years too early with this venture and should wait until our daughter goes off to college in a couple of years. Leaving the kids at home is not too big of a deal since, as a couple of you have already mentioned, the 22 year old is very capable of keeping watch over everything.

I can't really help you there since I don't know the kids involved. Trust your instincts here. Start with short trips and go from there. You will be able to tell how long is too long.

If we were to move ahead with this purchase (which would be within the next few days) I DO NOT look forward to dealing with the whole "black water" procedures, as well as the other set-up and tear-down procedures (so any comments are on that are welcome), although I am experienced with the actual "hooking-up" to the truck/trailer thing, as mentioned above and that is not a concern.

As many have stated, the black water procedures are not that bad. Keep a pack of disposable gloves nearby. We do as one person above stated. I handle the outside set up and wife does the inside stuff. We are now completely set up within about 10 minutes max. It will take you about 30 minutes or more the first few times, then it will become second nature and not a big deal.

One final, specific question: For any of you who own or have looked into the Keystone Copper Canyon from the 2009 vintage, we would be very interested in your comments about this particular make, model, etc., as well as any specific common problems to check-out prior to possible purchase.

I wen tin a Copper Canyon lookinf a few years ago and it was nice. I don't really know much about them, but I would approach it just like any other used fiver. Do the slides would properly and are the slides seals in good condition? Do all the appliances work? Get on the roof and look over it well. Do you see any tears and is the caulking in good shape? Water is the single biggest enemy of any RV. Does the fifth wheel smell moldy? Are there any soft spots in the floor? are there any wavy walls? Look under the RV. Are the tires and axles in good condition? Ask the owner any questions you may have, but be sure to ask this one "Has the fifth wheel ever leaked or have you ever had any water damage? Have you ever had any problems with the brakes, bearings or axles?

This is actually a good time to explore the RV lifestyle. You can take short trips and see how it goes. If you love it, you will know it by the time you are fully retired and can then consider upgrading. If you do not like it, you will know to look elsewhere for fun when retiring. You are doing it right and minimizing your expense be starting used. You will never know whether or not it is something you love until you try it. As suggested above, you can rent, but this can get expensive quick since many Class C's around here rent for about $300 a day. I hope this has helped. Good luck in whatever you decide.

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
If your husband is getting cold feet, DON'T do it. Wait until he's ready to take the plunge, or both of you are going to be miserable.

Good luck!

X2

galtgirl
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you've really thought through all the pros and cons of this purchase and I'll bet you will decide to go for it and purchase an RV, whether the one you are looking at or some other one.
With our RV, we have developed a set up and tear down routine where I handle the inside and my DH does the outside. The whole thing takes us about 30 min. I can and have done both inside and outside and it's not very difficult. Emptying the tanks is simple and you don't get any sewage on you or spilled if you are careful. We always wear rubber gloves but we've never had a spill problem in more than 20 years.
You know, you can always find a reason not to do something, but I think you won't regret jumping in and going for it. You've got a wealth of support here on the forums and you will find that RVers are the most helpful and friendly folks you will ever meet. We have had to ask for help more than once while out and have never been turned down. We've met some wonderful people along the way.
Best of Luck.
Carol
John and Carol Beckman
USN SKC RET (him) RN (her)
Lola & Ava the French Bulldogs
Sacramento, CA

2015 Heartland Bighorn
2017 Silverado 3500 HD High Country

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
DON'T WORRY.... BE HAPPY! ๐Ÿ™‚

The funny thing for us was that DW never wanted much to do with an RV. I was always the one that wanted a 5'r to use as our "retirement condo". I wanted something I could put wherever it suited us until it didn't anymore.

Short story is that DW spotted an add in our local PennySaver and we went over to look at it. At that point, she absolutely fell in love with it and we dove right in, not knowing a thing about Rv'ng. So, we're learning as we go. A lot of the information came from this site, some came from other rv'rs we met along the way and some by trial and error. It's been 3 yrs and we're still learning, but having a ton-o-fun and looking for every excuse to get out.

HAPPY CAMPING!!
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with your decision. Remember that choosing to be happy with whatever outcome is at least half of making a good decision ๐Ÿ™‚

Lots of previous good advice which I agree with but won't repeat.

Regarding your towing questions: our TT was near 11ft, and we never had any significant height issues (did watch low road signs, and now do even when not towing). Not sure the weight of the Canyon, but I suspect your 454 will handle hills fine as long as you are willing to be patient if necessary and can afford to keep the gas tank filled.

Set-up/take-down will become simple and second nature as you camp more, wouldn't worry about it.

Black water issues will also turn out to be less significant as you get experience. I also was concerned so used a Flojet macerator pump for years, recently went to the stinky slinky and realized it's simple and my concerns were unfounded. Sounds like you're practical, and have some farm experience so I suspect you'll also find this a non-issue.

Most importantly, don't feel pressured to make a "now or never" decision. If you pass on this trailer there will be another good deal down the road if you want one.

With that said, we also love the traveling and lifestyle and really enjoy the kind people we meet. I just retired and we're looking forward to spending weeks/months camping instead of weekends etc.

Again, good luck!
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
MidwestFarmer wrote:

Have others gone through similar hesitations prior to making the first leap into the world of RVing, or is this a unique situation? Although he was excited about the prospect of traveling the U.S. byways to explore our country, he is now concerned about spending the money on something we might not end-up enjoying, as well as concerned about all of the unknown "work" that might be involved in setting-up, hooking-up, water, heat and electrical management, as well as being away from the homestead for extended periods of time.

Forgive me for reading-between-the-lines, but what *I* am seeing is "I'm not comfortable leaving the kids while we go off and travel"?? So he's diverting that into the "work" and money involved, etc.

And he might have a very valid point: the money is especially worrisome when you have college-age kids. And even the BEST kids, can still push the rules when it comes to having the parents gone for the weekend - it doesn't have to be "parties"; it can be as simple as a boyfriend or girlfriend over for the weekend. Unsupervised.

I guess the answer is: you either go camping now - and cross your fingers/install security cameras at home/hire a "bouncer" (LOL!) - or you wait until the kids are out of the house. And in the meantime, do a lot of homework about RVs, because IMO, if you like to sightsee - a motorhome might be the easier RV for you at some point? Setting up a 5er isn't hard - but nothing is easier than driving into your site and hooking up the electric and water and you're done. So you could always rent a Class C, for example, and see how you like it? On the other hand, if you want to set up in an area and explore it for a while - a 5er makes for a nice "apartment". Set up might take a whole whopping 5 minutes longer than a Class C.

OK - on edit after reading the husband's post:

Since you already purchased the truck and intend to use it for other purposes - the rest is easy-peasy. The trailer can sit. It really doesn't care ๐Ÿ™‚ We bought ours with the thought that it would get used once a year, for a short snowbird trip to warm places. Except that after using it this past January, we realize how easy it is to pull and set up/take down, so now we're making plans to escape for a late-summer vacation, too.

Dealing with the black/gray tanks and water supplies? Simple stuff. Not a "dirty" job at all (DO buy yourself a new sewer hose so you know it's a good one). I'd rather dump the tanks than change a dirty diaper. After a short while - ALL of the little "chores" involved with RVing become second nature.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!