cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with propane problem!

Newman1415
Explorer
Explorer
Just upgraded from my old 2002 Fleetwood prowler fiver to a coachman chaparral fiver. comparing the furnace and range , the new one seems to have way less btu. The furnace just doesn't feel like it outputs the same heat, it could be a different model. That's not the main worry though, the range has three burners, one being a "high speed" . When I use this high speed one it is no different from the other two. It takes 15 minutes to boil a kettle on it, where my old trailer took 8 mins. What I'm wondering is, what's causing this. A leak?

My fridge also does not stop running on either propane or electric. It runs 24/7 compared to old trailer. Heard this could be due to the thermistor? Any input would help before I call a tech. Thanks
2014 Heartland Bighorn Silverado 41’ SV 365QBS
6 REPLIES 6

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
With these new ODP propane tanks sometimes opening the valve to fast trips the ODP valve. So turn off both tanks and disconnect them. Connect the tank on the regulator side and sneak up on opening the tank very slowly.

This is exactly correct. When I open my tanks I will barely turn them until I hear the propane start to make a sound and then I wait for the pressure to build and then open them the rest of the way. The new safety features are a real pain in the keester!!
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
With these new ODP propane tanks sometimes opening the valve to fast trips the ODP valve. So turn off both tanks and disconnect them. Connect the tank on the regulator side and sneak up on opening the tank very slowly.

Also were the new tanks purged correctly?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Newman1415
Explorer
Explorer
Hey sorry for late reply fellas, the propane tanks are both brand new and full, valves wide open and selector is pointed toward one tank. I will try one tank separate and the other things you recommended. I tested the thermistor like I read on a forum and guys say it should read between 7000-10000 ohms while in a glass of ice water. Mine read 8000ish. Which would normally mean the thermistor is ok? Any other ideas before I make a service call and get bent over. Also I took apart the stove and was surprised to see that previous owner may of replaced that high speed burned as it looks brand new. Maybe they replaced it with the smaller BTU rear type burner
2014 Heartland Bighorn Silverado 41’ SV 365QBS

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
If things in the refrigerator compartment are freezing, that problem is not a lack of propane.
The thermistor is a temperature-sensitive resistor which turns off the cooling unit when the refrigerator section is cool enough. If it fails, cooling stays on, things freeze.
In the back of the refrigerator (not freezer) section is a row of cooling fins. Often the thermistor looks a plastic clip attached to the fins with wires leading out the back somewhere. If the clip has fallen off, the fridge freezes. If the clip is too high, or attached to the wrong fin, the fridge freezes.
If you google 'RV thermistor' you'll find youtube vids and a replacement thermistor for under $30.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

Lazydude
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like your regulator needs ajusting or replaced. When mine started to fail the flow got slower and slower.
2018 Jayco Eagle 320RLTS
2012 Dodge CTD 6.7 3500 SRW Longhorn

Chandalen
Explorer
Explorer
You would likely smell a leak.

My grill will do this from time to time, I have to reseat the tank and the problem fixes itself.

Not trying to insult you but...

Are both tanks filled, and fully open -1/2 turn?
Is the gas tank selector pointed at a tank and not in the middle pointing up or down?
Does the same thing happen if you switch the tank selector to the other tank?
Disconnect the tanks and connect only one select that tank, then try same on the other side.
Try a different tank (off your grill)
'08 Sierra 5th wheel bunk house
'04 F350 6.0L (bulletproofish now)
470ah GC2 battery bank, 500w Solar /w TS-45 Controller, 2k Pure Sine Inverter
Active Duty Army