cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

hitch adjustment and level trailer towing

2Shays3712
Explorer
Explorer
Took a photo of rig recently to post in signature and found that the trailer appears to be high front to back. A couple questions come to mind if an adjustment is in order. From what i'm reading frame of trailer should should ride close to level or within 1" higher in front than back if possible while on truck considering truck is level also. Have airbags and currently run 39-40 psi to level truck. Now trailer rides even higher front to back. Measurements will be made shortly when hitched up on next trip.

Question #1- Better to raise the pinbox before lowering the hitch? Torque lbs necessary to
make this change on the trailer? (Morryde pinbox)

Question #2- Optimum distance between the bottom of the trailer to the bed rails of the
truck? (Have safety bar from Butch's Services on Reese 16K hitch)

I guess that was three questions. Lowering the hitch would be the easier adjustment, but want to do this right. It has been suggested by Camping World to get rig weighed first and determine
the weight on the rear axle of the truck and determine all actual loads of the rig and trailer. Don't want to open a can of worms here. The reason for the questions is that i've noticed excessive outside tire wear on the rear tires compared to front and that opens another long list of responses on the tire and towing forum and i don't want to go there yet. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
A photo is often very deceiving about leveling issues. Suggest you actually measure front and rear to see if it is off. If it is out of level, measure from the ground up at the front of the frame, and then from ground up between the wheels to the frame, and that will tell you how much correction is needed. Measuring front/rear will exaggerate the problem.

Conventional wisdom says 6" minimum between overhang and bed rails. And that's if you stay on good paved roads. I have 7" and would not want any less, but we get off on dirt quite a bit.

Don't worry so much about torque on the pinbox bolts. Just get them tight. It is not critical. But if you absolutely must use a torque wrench, just google torque values based on the bolt diameter. Go with the grade 5 values. That will be plenty even if you happen to have grade 8 bolts.

I disagree that towing low in front is better than high in front. If you're going to be out of level a bit, high in front is what you want. Nothing tows well when the front is low.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
For what its worth: Lowering the hitch into the truck bed can make it harder to see when hitching up. It also puts the pin lower into the bed of the truck raising the possibility of the trailer part damaging the sides of the truck bed in a tight turn.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Was the truck loaded when you set it up? will it be when you travel?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

JW_of_Opechee_S
Explorer
Explorer
You can choose: lower the hitch or raise the pin box, don't necessarily have to do both but you should try to have around 6" clearance between the truck bed rails and the bottom of the Fiver.
Have Fiver will travel with little or no notice at all. I do need to stop at rest areas now and then:)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No, if it cant be perfectly level it is better to be slightly lower in front, not higher.