cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch choice

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I own a 2017 F350 6.2L long bed crew cab, and I’m in the market for my first 5th wheel hitch after 10+ years of bumper pulling.

I’ve heard good things about B&W, but they of course make several different hitch options. What should I be looking for? My new 5th wheel won’t weigh more than 11,000 lbs loaded, and I won’t ever bigger than the set up I just purchased; certainly not with my gas truck.

Thanks.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
101 REPLIES 101

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Andersen, known for denting bed with the "Ultimate" with fore and aft movement. B&W old style 18k Companion same thing, I owned one. B&W chose to address this Andersen has not.

Rail mount Andersen does not have this issue.

No need to hear from the peanut gallery as above statement is fact.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
bobbyg123 wrote:
Well, considering my dealer is installing a B&W Patriot onto my truck tomorrow, this thread has thoroughly depressed me. 😞

The Andersen would have helped with that depression :B

Yea, probably. Fortunately, there are a lot of good reviews about the B&W Patriot on other sites. It's just not as popular here for some reason.
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyg123 wrote:
Well, considering my dealer is installing a B&W Patriot onto my truck tomorrow, this thread has thoroughly depressed me. 😞

The Andersen would have helped with that depression :B

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
truckpro wrote:
I dont know if this is any help, but I am a huge fan of the 5th wheel hitch from Andersen Hitches. It is super light weight and easy to install. Let me know if you have any questions.

I had not paid much attention to the Andersen hitch until about 6 months ago. They are really developing a big following on this forum and others. The folks that own them really seem to like the way they perform.

I believe I mentioned it to the OP on this thread, but unfortunately there is the " ONE " on here that always seems to discredit anything that is said about the Andersen.

IMO after having towed with the Andersen for a couple years with a fairly big fifth wheel 38' with a 15500 GVWR. its the only way to go. In the OP's case it would have been ideal . Coupled with a MorRyde pin box it has been very smooth .

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
truckpro wrote:
I dont know if this is any help, but I am a huge fan of the 5th wheel hitch from Andersen Hitches. It is super light weight and easy to install. Let me know if you have any questions.

I had not paid much attention to the Andersen hitch until about 6 months ago. They are really developing a big following on this forum and others. The folks that own them really seem to like the way they perform.

truckpro
Explorer
Explorer

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
bobbyg123 wrote:

Not to worry. Every fifth wheel towing dynamics seems to be different. I got unlucky and purchased a trailer with poor dynamics. Thousands of people out there towing with solid hitches like B&W, Andersen, Curt, and Reese; they have no problems with the comfort of their ride. The Patriot is a quality hitch and it does its job of solidly fastening your fifth wheel to the frame of your truck very well.

In my case, I put the Patriot on Craigslist and sold it in a day for just a $50 hit. I wasn't happy about spending 3 grand for a Trailer Saver, but in hindsight, it was one of my best purchases.

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Love when people TWIST my words!!!

Visual test is simply a test, either you do one or the other or you don't.

This is a handle closed and locked VISUAL test below.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Durb wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I justified the cost of my TS3 after just 30 minutes towing with a B&W Patriot which was a nightmare."

PLEASE tell what was creating a "nightmare" for you with the Patriot?

For various reasons, my trailer chucks severely. The Patriot very efficiently transferred all the chucking forces to our seat-backs. Wife told me to fix it or sell the trailer after our first 30 minutes. Did the Bilstiens and air bag thing - nothing. The TS3 fixed it, pure and simple. Not the Patriot's fault, It's just a solid piece of steel that is akin to bolting your pin box to the frame of your truck. I hope the OP's trailer is a smooth runner and he is happy with a solid hitch.

Glad you fixed the issue. Your RAW, what tires you run with what amount of air and how much air in the air bags loaded will make or break how the RV pulls. Pin percentage of RV is another biggie. Your hitch is doing it's job but masking the real issue.

So bottom line " B&W Patriot which was a nightmare" really was not a fair statement without clarification.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dryfly wrote:
Let me re-phrase my question as I am not asking about the pros and cons of a pull test. I've heard the arguments for the proceedure, and they are all worthwhile.

I'm assuming one can see the jaws are wrapped around the pin correctly, the handle is closed correctly, and the locking pin is in the pull handle. Based on this, couldn't you "visually" tell if you are high hitched or not?

If NOT, is there any way you could drop the trailer on the bed, unless the hitch had a defect?

SIMPLE answer is YES. That is "IF" you do a VISUAL test.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

Basically what some are saying is they never forget to do all those things, you know what they say about never .

And, I'm sure there are those who "never" forget to do a pull test.

Everyone has to have the hookup routine that makes them feel the most confident that they have done everything possible to prevent failure. Also, they pay the consequences of their actions if they are wrong. Sounds like there are different opinions out there.

After reading lots of posts through the years I've found there are lots of good brands of hitches and everyone has their favorite, as well as their own hookup procedure. I still enjoy learning from everyone on this forum.

It is certainly a process that has to be followed regardless of how you do it. I do see where one has backed off a bit on the no need for a pull test with the B&W.

You can do whatever you want when you hookup, but to come on a forum and advise against the general wisdom of hooking up , that there is no need for a " PULL TEST " is bad advice. B&W or not .

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
dryfly wrote:
Let me re-phrase my question as I am not asking about the pros and cons of a pull test. I've heard the arguments for the proceedure, and they are all worthwhile.

I'm assuming one can see the jaws are wrapped around the pin correctly, the handle is closed correctly, and the locking pin is in the pull handle. Based on this, couldn't you "visually" tell if you are high hitched or not?

If NOT, is there any way you could drop the trailer on the bed, unless the hitch had a defect?

I know that I have always lower the kingpin before I get all the way in lower than the hitch and as I'm backing in the kingpin ride up on the pad of the hitch and seat itself into the locking claw. I have never drop it in I don't know that way only what I have been told by the dealer. ( I know I'm in trouble now) listening to the dealer and we know where that will get you.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:

Basically what some are saying is they never forget to do all those things, you know what they say about never .

And, I'm sure there are those who "never" forget to do a pull test.

Everyone has to have the hookup routine that makes them feel the most confident that they have done everything possible to prevent failure. Also, they pay the consequences of their actions if they are wrong. Sounds like there are different opinions out there.

After reading lots of posts through the years I've found there are lots of good brands of hitches and everyone has their favorite, as well as their own hookup procedure. I still enjoy learning from everyone on this forum.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I justified the cost of my TS3 after just 30 minutes towing with a B&W Patriot which was a nightmare."

PLEASE tell what was creating a "nightmare" for you with the Patriot?

For various reasons, my trailer chucks severely. The Patriot very efficiently transferred all the chucking forces to our seat-backs. Wife told me to fix it or sell the trailer after our first 30 minutes. Did the Bilstiens and air bag thing - nothing. The TS3 fixed it, pure and simple. Not the Patriot's fault, It's just a solid piece of steel that is akin to bolting your pin box to the frame of your truck. I hope the OP's trailer is a smooth runner and he is happy with a solid hitch.