cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch rails on used TV

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
Upgraded the TV and it already had the rails for the hitch mounted in the bed. Here is the problem:

I attempted to drop my hitch in to get it out of my garage and the rails do not line up perfectly. I can get the front or rear dropped in the rail but the other "pegs" are off by about a 1/4".

Can I loosen the bolts on one of the rails to adjust it? Would there be enough "play" to move it? Maybe you guys have a different solution? Figured I am no the first guy this has happened to.
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2019 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 24 Years:B
Boy at College - 21yrs,:C
Boy - 15yrs:p
11 REPLIES 11

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
Anti-Theft, Love it!
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS

DennisG9
Explorer
Explorer
Your hitch isn't stuck. It's one of those undocumented features, an anti theft device for your hitch!

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer
After towing a few times the rails will probably relax and reset themselves to your hitch.
Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
You might be better off slotting the rail bolt holes.

Bill
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
Well, good news, bad news. They were RBW rails as I went to the RV repair shop here in town to get another opinion. We loosened both rail bolt sets and each rail moved about 1/4".

Good news is that we got plenty of play to allow for the roughly 1/16th of an inch that I needed. Hitch is now seated!

Bad news is that after the hitch was seated we tightened the bolts back up and they snugged back to where they were. Hitch is now permanently mounted unless I were to pry it back out. But hey, I can tow now!

So new question, would I dare grind about 1/32nd off the two trouble feet or would this hurt the hitch? Not much more than grinding the paint off.
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are those rails the right ones for your hitch?

Were those rails installed in proper position/spread for your hitch?

Hitch may fit the rails but that doesn't mean when they were installed that the spread for the hitch used was the same as your hitch.

Nothing to lose by loosening the hold down bolts on both rails....but they may still be off.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep us updated on this. I hope it works out for you. Tim
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
Ahh yes, both rails to get double the play. I will give it go this afternoon, thanks!
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at These instructions for your hitch it doesn't look like there is any adjustment in the feet on your hitch. You might try loosening the bolts in BOTH rails, install the hitch, then retighten all bolts. there should be enough 'play' in the bolt holes to allow the hitch to properly fit into the rail slots. Hope this helps. Tim
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

hyattjlbb
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, some hitch info could have helped. Non-Slide RBW X-16.
Jamie - KE0NSE
2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
Which hitch do you have? If you have a slider hitch there is adjustment for the feet that go into the slots in the rails. At lease there is on my Reese 16K slider. Tim
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea