cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how do i find my battery turnoff switch

badba22
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Route 66 fifth wheel. I just put in a new battery but nothing works
4 REPLIES 4

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not all trailers have BATTERY DISCONNECT Switches... This is usually a customer ADD-ON feature.

Need more info on what you installed battery wise.

Two 12VDC batteries wired in PARALLEL or perhaps two 6VDC GOLF CART Batteries wired in SERIES.

Here is a simplified wiring diagram of both installs.

The trailers are protected from installing the battery cables wrong and will blow internal fuses.

There will be a fused item very close to the battery bank and maybe an IN-LINE fuse or a CIRCUIT BREAKER. There is also two fuses back on the 12VDC Distribution Panel or sometimes located on the CONVERTER/CHARGER unit labeled REVERSE POLARITY. These will be high value fuses depending on how much current your on-board converter/charger unit produces.

A quick mistake that even sparks the battery terminal for a second will blow these fuses.

You should make sure the battery cable wiring is corrected before replacing any of these fuses otherwise they will just blow again...

I always make note of the NEGATIVE terminal marking on the battery case and look for the word 'NEG' or the symbol '-' and make sure this goes to the trailer frame ground real close to the battery bank. I have seen even replacing with the same brand and model of the battery the manf may have put the battery terminals on the opposite side on the newer battery which makes it easy to hook up backwards.

Another quick test after you have installed the batteries is to measure across the battery terminal with a multimeter without being plugged into shore power and you should read 12.6-7VDC if the batteries are fully charged. Then go plug into shore power and you should now read across the same battery terminals 13.6VDC indicating that the converter/charger is on and all of the connections and fuses between the converter and battery are wired correctly.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
badba22 wrote:
I have a 2006 Route 66 fifth wheel. I just put in a new battery but nothing works

Look in the battery area for cable(s) you failed to connect. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Moved from Forum Technical Support

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Any chance you hooked it up backwards? If you did then you blew the reverse polarity fuses at the load center or on the converter, depending on the model.