cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many strokes??

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Jayco 321RLTS, greasing the hubs (bearing buddy style with zerks under the caps) Been way to long since I have done that. No time to go to the way to busy dealer before a trip. Stroke till grease flows?
35 REPLIES 35

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slownsy wrote:
Sorry but you to are just as bad, I had a new travel trailer som years ago with the Dexter setup, only greased them a few times and only maybe 5 strokes while spinning wheels, at end of trip removed wheels to adjust brakes as not stopping to great, and guess what grease on to brakes, so maybe the luck of the draw, or maybe som manufacturer use better seals than others.
Frank.

It was poor quality seals.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Follow the instructions I believe would include disassembly and inspection.
afaik filling the hub is to prevent water intrusion when launching a boat.

Otherwise pump slowly while turning the wheel.

These are not bearing buddies.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The center hub on the ez lube hubs is normally dry initially so it takes A LOT OF GREASE the first time. Easily half a tube. You pump the grease in until you see clean fresh grease come out the end. I use the red grease to see this easier. The next time you'll use much less grease because the center of the hub is now full. There is no set number of pumps. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how.

Rotating the wheel while you're doing it is a must.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Some have reported having grease on the brakes without ever having used the zerks. Apparently the assembler didnโ€™t follow instructions either.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but you to are just as bad, I had a new travel trailer som years ago with the Dexter setup, only greased them a few times and only maybe 5 strokes while spinning wheels, at end of trip removed wheels to adjust brakes as not stopping to great, and guess what grease on to brakes, so maybe the luck of the draw, or maybe som manufacturer use better seals than others.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Follow the instructions I believe would include disassembly and inspection.
afaik filling the hub is to prevent water intrusion when launching a boat.

Otherwise pump slowly while turning the wheel.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
โ€ฆ.

I have that system and have pumped many tubes of grease into them and NEVER had a bit of grease come out the back. I have disk brakes so it's easy to tell.
โ€ฆ.

Every time EZ Lube comes up there are those who immediately say donโ€™t do it or you will get grease on your brakes. Two or three of those I asked if they had actually done that. And they admitted they had not and were only repeating what they had heard. No doubt some have gotten grease on their brakes. And questionable if those followed Dexter guidelines exactly, either pumping to fast, not continuously turning the wheel, using a pneumatic gun, etc.

Yes, too many declare a product bad, just because they fail to follow the instructions. I had EZ Lube axles on two trailers and never an issue with blowing the seals, but I read and follow instructions.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
โ€ฆ.

I have that system and have pumped many tubes of grease into them and NEVER had a bit of grease come out the back. I have disk brakes so it's easy to tell.
โ€ฆ.

Every time EZ Lube comes up there are those who immediately say donโ€™t do it or you will get grease on your brakes. Two or three of those I asked if they had actually done that. And they admitted they had not and were only repeating what they had heard. No doubt some have gotten grease on their brakes. And questionable if those followed Dexter guidelines exactly, either pumping to fast, not continuously turning the wheel, using a pneumatic gun, etc.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
smithrjd wrote:
2011 Jayco 321RLTS, greasing the hubs (bearing buddy style with zerks under the caps) Been way to long since I have done that. No time to go to the way to busy dealer before a trip. Stroke till grease flows?

Are they actual Bearing Buddies or are they EZLube axles? If an EZLube, then jack each wheel up, grease until you hear air crackling out of the seal, then stop. Spin the wheel while doing so. I did that for 13 years on my old Komfort and never blew a seal or even leaked grease. When I did have the bearings and seals replaced (with USA Timkens) after about 10 years, the shop said the bearings were still tight, virtually unworn and could have been re-used. I opted to replace them all and continued my "normal" practice for the next 3 years, until I sold it, with no issues. YMMV...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
smithrjd wrote:
TX iceman, yep that is what I have, the Dexter axles. Going to need another tube or two of grease..

If you put even a half tube of grease into the four hubs, you will likely grease the brakes.

Use quality synthetic that will flow easily. DON'T use a pneumatic grease gun.

Have someone spin the tire and pump as fast as you like and the old grease will start coming out. Simply wipe off and when new grease appears you are done.

For this system to work properly you need QUALITY seals like National.

All sounds good ,until it doesn't . IMO nothing replaces hand packing those bearings. Where do you suppose all those tubes of grease go if that old grease does not come out, you failed to mention that ,then what. Stop pumping , maybe, maybe take a look behind the hub ??? Two things pack the bearings by hand ,and inspect ,and adjust brakes if necessary . No not all have disc brakes .

I bought my present fifth wheel from a friend , and the bearings were not due to be packed ,according to him. Well I got lucky ,I had a slow leak in a tire that needed to be fixed ,removed the tire ,not knowing the size of grease seals, thought it would be a good time to see for future bearing packing. I pulled the caliper, I do have disc brakes ,and the brake shoes were all but wore out, so close I would of most likely ruined some rotors on my summer trip. . If I did as purposed by many , pumping grease into those bearings I would have ruined some rotors. Plus the wheel bearings got packed properly, and new brake shoes ,good to go . Ya ,no fan of this pumping grease into those bearings, and would never recommend it .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
smithrjd wrote:
TX iceman, yep that is what I have, the Dexter axles. Going to need another tube or two of grease..

If you put even a half tube of grease into the four hubs, you will likely grease the brakes.

Use quality synthetic that will flow easily. DON'T use a pneumatic grease gun.

Have someone spin the tire and pump as fast as you like and the old grease will start coming out. Simply wipe off and when new grease appears you are done.

For this system to work properly you need QUALITY seals like National.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't you grease the wheel bearings the last time you inspected the brakes?

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where did the grease go that was in the hub / bearings?
Why is there a need to "add" grease?
Trailer hubs do not used or consume grease.
Putting fresh grease into a failing bearing will not make it last longer. If the seal has failed and leaked grease into the brakes, your adding more won't improve things.
As you are pumping grease several things can happen- the grease you are pumping in may flow out of the outside bearing or if the seal is weak grease will go into your brakes or maybe both.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
smithrjd wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As TXiceman posted. Those are Dexter EZ Lube axles. And definitely takes a LOT of grease to properly grease the inner and outer bearings. Follow the video carefully. Many people say absolutely do not grease those zerks. But done correctly it works well.