cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to find the best used Fifth Wheel deal?

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of selling our 07 Georgetown 350 DS Class A and wanting to get into a Fifth Wheel. We want something newer but we also want to stay under 30k. A few of the things I've noticed while looking used is it seems that it pretty common that the used Fifth wheels are being sold after someone has been living in them full time. I don't mean to be snotty or rude but when we have looked at any in person especially in the price range we are looking they all seem to have funky odors, dirty or just not in the shape we would want. There are new ones in our price range like the Keystone Hideout etc but one of my issues is bedroom height. I'm 6'5 and have to duck to walk around in the front of the fifth wheel. I hate that. We had a 40ft Ramoage toyhauler back in 07 and I could stand up in the bedroom or bathroom. I know there has to be manufactures that make taller bedrooms out there.

We originally thought we wanted a Bunk Model but our kids are older now and to tall for the bunks anyways with them being over 6' tall. So the floor plans I really like are the ones with 2 theater recliners on the back or side wall and a couch on the other with the tv on the opposite side wall. Lots of companies make a variation of this floor plan but where can I find good used Fifth wheels that haven't been lived in Full time.

Also,we'd like to stay under 34ft because I plan on once in a while towing a trailer with my Polaris Ranger Crew back there.

Any suggestions of manufactures with larger ceiling height bedrooms would be appreciated. Also we don't want anything older than about a 2012 or so. Would prefer newer the better.
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

7 REPLIES 7

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in the exact same position and just end up buying new. I don't think I'm snobby or picky but it just seems that EVERY used RV out there smells like dirty socks and goat poop. I just scratch my head and wonder what people do in these things???

My RV sits beside my house 345 days a year and I camp in it the other 20. I can't imagine what I could do to make is smell like the 2 year old used units I see.

Speaking of buying new you should be able to get a a unit for about 70% of MSRP. All the naysayers that moan about depreciation pay too much and that's why it's such a hit. An RV in good condition should be worth about 50% of MSRP after about 3-4 years. If you pay 90% of MSRP you get killed. If you pay 65-70% it works out just fine.

I ended up with a new Keystone Hideout and am super happy with it. It had more to do with floorplan than price. I just found a plan that worked perfectly for my family and went for it. The interior finishes are actually pretty nice. I'd liken it to new cars these days. Even the lowest model has A/C, a decent radio, power windows and things like that. A couple decades ago those were considered total luxury items.

Of course, I know enough to accept that it's cheaply made (as most RVs are) and would never stand up to full time use. But, for a few weeks a year it works great. I also know I'm fairly lucky to have a problem free unit. These forums are full of folks getting stuck with the lemons. RVs at pretty much any price point are a roll of the dice.

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
What we are kind of figuring out looking at used units is that if they are any older than about a 2014 they have horrible interior colors and fabrics. I mean flower prints have been out for over 20 years. Most of the used units look like they are stuck in the 60's. I may just end up in a lower end Keystone Hideout. They at least have fake leather couches and chairs and have updated interiors. Anyone have an opinion on the Hideout series if trailers by Keystone?
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
I like to use rvtrader.com. Many search options available. I have also used tempest.com which searches multiple CL ads based on your input criteria.
Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

WolfFox
Explorer
Explorer
Check Out Grand Design RV's
and Grand Design Owner Forum You can see how owners like their RV's and ask questions.
They are well built and Great Customer Service after the sale. They have 4 different Lines.
2017 F350, Bronze Fire, King Ranch, DRW, 4x4 Off Road, LED, Adaptive Cruise/Steering, CLSN WRN, Lane Alert, BLIS, Tow Tech, Power Steps, Dual Alt's, 3.55 LS Axle, LINE-X, B&W Companion Hitch

2017 Grand Design Solitude 384GK-R, 16K, 40 ft. 5th Wheel

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are lots of 5ers available with an overall height of 12'6", even 13' which give pretty good bedroom height. Not many humans are 6'5" so rigs are not built to suit that height.

How much time does one spend standing in a bedroom? My Alpenlite must have over 6' bedroom clearance but I would be happy if it was less than the 12'6" exterior height to avoid some of the low branches in CG & reduce sideways windage.

Pricewise, if you want a good quality lightly used 5er better be prepared to pay more than $30,000.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe because you live close to full-timer Mecca you are seeing more full time rigs. You might have to travel somewhere where the RV season is shorter to get a slightly used trailer. We looked at a lot of trailers although well maintained were very used. Just kept looking then sooner or later there it is.

You might be running into math problems with front bedroom units. With high overhangs to fit newer trucks, larger frames to handle more weight, larger roof trusses and floor framing deducting from maximum height restrictions there might not be enough space left to handle your height. Good luck with your search.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
I like to look at PPL Motorhimes website to see some different floor plans available.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT