cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hung walls or ??

ok gang . .
opinions please.. (since I know how we all love to give them !:B )

Pros and Cons for Hung Fiberglass walls-VS- Laminated Fiberglass walls...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet
3 REPLIES 3

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
According to the Cedar Creek brochure, their walls can never delaminate. That alone would be reason to consider them. Also their walls are built like house walls. Instead of the usual way that vacuum bonded or pinch rolled walls are built. VB or PR walls don't have framing @16"OC. The block foam is part of the structure and is relied on for strength. Where as the Hung wall relies solely on the framing for it's strength.

If the skins use wood backer paneling, then they can delaminate. Many brands that use vacuum bonded or pinch roll construction still have studs on 16" centers. However, with those methods, not having 16" centers is not an issue. Because a laminated wall with rigid foam CAN be relied on for strength, fewer studs are needed. Just like in the housing world where SIPs (structural insulated panels) can be 4 ft wide and 30 ft long w/o additional framing members.

To the OP's question, laminated walls should have fewer ripples or waves in them compared to hung walls and have a more solid sound. But it is harder to route wires, etc thru them or make design changes on the factory floor. And if there is major water damage, the entire wall has to be removed. With hung walls, the exterior skin can be replaced w/o affecting the studs or interior by removing all windows/ trim, prying the skin off the studs and removing any remaining adhesive. I've had both types and while my present rig uses hung wall, I prefer laminated, but there are many other factors that I consider more significant than type of wall construction.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
According to the Cedar Creek brochure, their walls can never delaminate. That alone would be reason to consider them. Also their walls are built like house walls. Instead of the usual way that vacuum bonded or pinch rolled walls are built. VB or PR walls don't have framing @16"OC. The block foam is part of the structure and is relied on for strength. Where as the Hung wall relies solely on the framing for it's strength.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looked it up best I could. Seems the hung panels are considered easier to repair, less chance of rotting, and are lighter than the laminated fiberglass, and wood. As for strength. Seems they are split on that. That is all I could find. Not really sure of the source.

My Apex has neither. It is built with AZDEL. Laminated, but with no wood in it.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers