cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need A Winter Tire For The Triple Axle Toy Hauler

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
My toy hauler is needing new tires and I'm a bit lost at what I should be looking at. It currently has Michelin XPS Rib 235/85/16 tires on it that are load range E and max out at 3,042 pounds. When I bought the trailer these are the tires it came with and they are an LT. The tires have extreme sidewall cracking and are not safe to drive on so I'm looking for something different. The Michelins also are not recommended for winter and that's when I tow it the most. I also need a tire that is closer to the 3,500 pound max range as I'll load this up to 20,000 pounds.

So with that I'm looking for some advice. What are some tires I should look at that are a 16'' load range E with a higher max load capacity and great for winter? Any advice is appreciated.
2007.5 Long Bed Dodge Mega Cab Dually
2005 ATC 41' 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
www.facebook.com/adventurerig
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig
15 REPLIES 15

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
christopherglenn wrote:
honda4us wrote:
I have had good luck with the Goodyear G614 tires, 3750 # @ 110 PSI. Rated for all positions, steer, drive, tag and trailer.

I can't fine anywhere that they are rated other then trailer. Where did you see this?
I LOVE the G614 but I have a friend who put them on his TV, spun out in a rainstorm and DESTROYED his 5er. I blame misuse of the tires.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
honda4us wrote:
I have had good luck with the Goodyear G614 tires, 3750 # @ 110 PSI. Rated for all positions, steer, drive, tag and trailer.

I can't fine anywhere that they are rated other then trailer. Where did you see this?
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

SkipStock
Explorer
Explorer
here is another one that has been mentioned a lot in various posts, Sailun S637 rated 3750 and 14 ply.

www.sailuntires.ca-images2-637-637

I'm in the market for new tires as well to replace the Marathons that are looking a little worse for wear and the research is daunting. But these seem to get mostly if not all favorable reviews by people that have actually used them.

Now all I have to do is find them

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you have any experience with this tire or Kenda? No, they were about the highest load rating I could find for you. I believe they are 124 rated and the highest I could find.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Winter tires are for drive axles traction, not trailer tire traction. You could put something like this on it...Max Load Single:3750lbs. Your rims may not be rated for 110 psi.

Do you have any experience with this tire or Kenda? I'm really interested in this one. Seems like it would be a great tread to have and 14 ply.
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. The info is really helpful and gives me a great starting point and some direction to look into.
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig

roller183
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with GY 614's and the bridgestone duravis tires for the weight needed is they are strong hard tires , not what I would consider great traction tires. I believe the XPS ribs are better for traction. I had 614's on a 5th wheel and hit a minimal amount of snow and locked them up on the trailer. The bridgestones are similar composition to GY614's and I would expect the same from them.

Maybe some XPS folks with ice/snow experience can pipe in. This is my first winter "ice skating" in motor vehicles as i lived mostly in Az and Ca.
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport F 40 SPTS 40' 3 axle TH.
2013 RAM Mega cab Dually 6spd.auto gray

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
About 20-25% of that 20,000 is carried on the 5th wheel hitch. So 4-5000 on the hitch leaving 15-16,000# on the trailer tires. With the current tires at 3042 times 6 is over 18,000# of carrying capacity.

Y-Guy
I would shop around a bit, talk to other dealerships to see what they recommend. Often a dealership will "recommend" what they sell not what is really best for you're needs. Looking at ATCs website I see they ship them with the Goodyear Marathon Radial Tires.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

honda4us
Explorer
Explorer
Martin & Wendy
Jessica & Alex
Sundance the guard dog
'15 3500HD C/C LTZ BLACK LMLD/A 4X4,B & W HITCH :B
'12 3500 EC/LB SRW
'13 Raptor 381LEV W/GOODYEAR G614's
4 Honda ATV's,:B '14 Can-AM Spyder RT-Limited :B

Ralleys attended 17 and counting :B:B

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Dont know why you would need winter tires on a trailer they are not drive tires. Check your rims , look for the stamp that states the max PSI and Load for that rim, I have found that most of the time you can move to a G rated tire(110PSI) with the same rims the factories put on trailers with E rated tires. I went from a E rated to Goodyear G rated on the same rims they are almost the same size and should fit.This gives you a bit of cushion on your tire loading.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Winter tires are for drive axles traction, not trailer tire traction. You could put something like this on it...Max Load Single:3750lbs. Your rims may not be rated for 110 psi.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
There is a difference between trailer tires and truck tires. You may want to check out newer STR tires. Allows higher towing speeds etc.

tlukasavige172
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the trailer used with these tires on it a year ago. The tread is great but I don't know how much the original owner towed it. I need a new tire now since these are cracking and I'll be driving it to Alaska in a couple weeks so I need a winter tire or something with better traction. These are also not recommended for use below freezing or in ice and snow so I'm looking for something that is.

The person at Discount Tire recommended a Carlisle Pro L Radial Trail RH load range F. He says they've had great luck with the Carlisle tires but I've read mixed reviews on them.
www.adventurerig.com
Instagram @adventurerig
Twitter @adventurerig