cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need new Tires

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
I blew a tire yesterday coming home from Branson. They were 5 years old and came on the camper when we bought it. Trailer King ST225-R15. THey look so new and great tread but I always assume cheap tires on the campers when you buy them and 3 to 5 years is shelf life.

what do we switch to?

LT Tires and American Made?
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab
65 REPLIES 65

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not arguing that, the post was talking about Endurance which doesn't come in 17.5" size.
Yes I was running GY G114s until one exploded, approx 4 1/2 years old. Plan was to replace prior to the 5 year mark, but didn't make it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Maybe YOU can show us. ROAD HAZARD does NOT count.

Yep, this does not count as a failure.

Goodyear sent me a check for 1/2 the cost of the replacement tire as a goodwill jester. And no that bolt did not come off my TV or TT. It happen just before I got off US 60 at are winter park as we were returning from a side trip to Tucson. Was still leaking air when we pulled up in front of our park model. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle.S wrote:
They appear to be a Great Tire for mid-weight units, but they offer nothing for heavier unit and nothing in the 17.5 size.

GY "G" and "H" tires are top quality. Not cheap!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
They appear to be a Great Tire for mid-weight units, but they offer nothing for heavier unit and nothing in the 17.5 size.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
Goodyear Endurance only choice. Made in USA and a
top quality tire

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Update,

went to see my son in Vicksburg and Goodyear Endurance tire worked well. They do seem to have a lower tread profile but performed well at 65lbs of air with little to none trailer roll. Put about 1000 miles on them from Tulsa to Vicksburg and back.

Side note...we left tulsa thursday evening and got to vicksburg friday night. hurricane Delta hit us about 12:30 am and it was WINDY till about 5am.

Incredible history in Vicksburg
Yellow Lab

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
We have e rated 15" endurance tires on our 2021 whitehawk TT. first think I noticed is the tread seems to be thin. Not like our G-614s have been.

chevman

They are 8/32" but I have used mine towing our boat every day for the last three Summers at 70mph and they look great still.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We have e rated 15" endurance tires on our 2021 whitehawk TT. first think I noticed is the tread seems to be thin. Not like our G-614s have been.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
johndeerefarmer wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Plain and simple. GY ENDURANCE has ZERO reported failures being on the market for over 3 years now.

Simply choose your size and load range n get er dun. One you have done so maintain proper tire pressure and don't look back!

OH yea if YA care they are US Made!

I suggest you take a quick look with Google. There are several failures listed

Maybe YOU can show us. ROAD HAZARD does NOT count.

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Plain and simple. GY ENDURANCE has ZERO reported failures being on the market for over 3 years now.

Simply choose your size and load range n get er dun. One you have done so maintain proper tire pressure and don't look back!

OH yea if YA care they are US Made!

I suggest you take a quick look with Google. There are several failures listed
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
The big problem is finding a 15" trailer wheel that up to 110 psi and carry 3500 lbs.
Highest 15" I know is Tow-Master SS TD15225F 95 psi and 3150 load rating.

Otherwise I like my GY Endurance.

Carlisle is now making an all steel 15" ST in LRF.

Carlisle CSL

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Ive owned TTs and have good luck with Goodyear's on them. First TT 4900lbs second TT 8000lbs. Now moved to fiver we are a solid 12,000 lbs on two axles. We bought used and it came with almost no miles Provider 238/80 r 16 even though rig is now 6 years old. The first owner had it on a seasonal site for the first 4 years of its life and never traveled. Still just noticed cracking on on tire, so its time.

We have only gone short distances so far and they ride nice and cool. Still taking a short hop over the road end of October and want new.

Interesting thread nothing negative about the providers or the good years. This set is Load range E. Im not worried about speed rating as Iver never gone past 65 juts a personal comfort thing.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Terryallan wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
I am of the opinion that to many people change out perfectly good tires because of a name. I am not sure if we are just getting lazy and dont want to include tires as part of out trailer pretrip or what. ST stires or maybe any tire, but the show I was listining to said even the chinese tires have a life expextency of 6 to 9 years. I was looking at the tires on my 5th two weeks ago gtting ready for a trip and I noticed some weird wear on that one and then I noticed the teltale sidewall dimples of a tire starting to seperate. so I checked all the rest, no cracks in between the tread or anywhere else so I just changed the one. now this tire was on the trailer when I bought it new in 2016 so probably 5 years old and just one of the defects. my last trailer I went 10 years on the tires before I changed them out with no issues. the trailer before I went 8 years then traded it in. they were all "china bombs"
so even with the "off shore tires" if you include the tires in your daily checks, looking for cracks on the sidewall , inbetween the treads and keep the cold psi proper, you can probably get the max life out of them with out any other dammage.

would I like to buy sailun tires you bed, but they are pricy up here but not crazy. but I think the reason I would be buying them is for reduced rolling resistance and better tread life.

Steve
I check, and air up my tires before every trip, EVERY TRIP. To date I have had 3 catastrophic tire failures. Each and every one was on a tire in the beginning of it 4th year of service. they were not over loaded, and the PSI was exactly where is was supposed to be. Age killed them.

So now my tires come off and are replaced at the beginning of their 4th year. I will not run a tire that is more than 3 years old. And I buy the best. And still replace them before the 4th year starts. Changing a tire on the side of the road in 97 degree hear is no fun. Much easier to replace them.

I wonder if it is a difference in road material, do you drive mostly on ashfault or cement roads? In 35 years of towing rvs I have only had one blowout and that was on a 10 yer old tire, that blew when I hit a very very ugly railway crossing that I didnt notice in time. this last one was the only other that I noticed somthing wrong with douring my beging of season inspection and I changed it out before it could blow. and out of all my friends that tow, I dont know any of them that have had an issue. having said all that, because most tire places say the tire life on a rv tire is between 6-8 years, I plan on upgrading to sailuns at year 5 or 6, was going to do it now since I had to change out onut anyways but the budgit didnt allow for all 4 while I am doing renos on the house.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
I've had the Endurance for over 2 years/25,000 miles with no drama so far, but starting out with only a 1/4" deep tread depth, it seems almost half worn out when it's brand new. I had to replace the front 2 at 20,000 miles due to scrubbing the outer tread, so the need to rotate them is mandatory.
JK

Thats seems the knock on those Goodyears, been reported before. It seems quality RV tires do better then those. Goodyear does have its history with poor performance.

The only good thing about those Endurance so far has been they are not having the history the other Goodyear RV tires have had with blowouts. The average RV owner will never get 20K on them, most likely just age out. . Better alternatives out there for a better mileage tire.

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
Well here is what I have found out on cost for the Endurance.

Local tire shop here quoted me 177 a tire mounted and installed. But. I can order them from tire rack at 133 and free shipping and Hibdon will charge me 15 to mount and balance and 7 to break down and take old tires off.

I will probably go Tire Rack and Hibdons as it is cheaper,

Four tires that come off will become spares.

Perfect world and lots of free cash I would upgrade to 16's and LT. That is the best choice. Looking at the total cost of that now with recommendation of earlier poster local to me.
Yellow Lab