cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

In bed Gooseneck to Fifth wheel adapters too tall?

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been doing some research today trying to find out why my FW is towing nose high. I am using the Andersen Ultimate Hitch. I noticed that the on the lowest setting of the Andersen and the B&W Companion is just over 16 inches. Most of the other traditional fifth wheel hitches start off around 13-14 inches. I would get the nose where I needed it with a traditional hitch, but why are the GN adapters soo much higher?

I am talking with an Andersen Rep about some kind of work around. I have more than enough bed clearance. I just need the hitch down a couple of inches.

Anyone else run into this?
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge
3 REPLIES 3

davisenvy
Explorer
Explorer
I have 8.5 inches of bed rail clearance. The pin box is up as far as it will go without hitting the fiberglass. Still have 1 hole left.
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT,4x4,Crew, Duramax EFI Live
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
What is your bedrail to 5er clearance like? In inches

Do you have the ability to move your pinbox up any further?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
The pinbox plays a role too. Before I lifted my fifth wheel I didn't have enough bed rail clearance even with the Andersen at the highest setting, but I was still very nose high even with the Andersen at the lowest setting. One size doesn't fit all I guess.

My lift added just under 6" and I am nearly perfectly level now with adequate bed rail clearance with the hitch on the middle setting. I'm using the rail mount version so it may be a little different from the gooseneck adapter version.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB